RR: Round Valley Rocks!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ride-A-Lot, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Hey Gary! 2750' of climbing today in New Jersey. We do have hills. It
    ain't all flat.

    [Inline version here: http://tinyurl.com/fxm7w]

    I had a plan today. Since I was off from work, I would go somewhere to
    ride that I have never been to. Of course, I still wanted to keep the
    distance reasonable, so I Google mapped my directions to Round Valley
    State Park. The directions said an hour and a half, but I was figuring
    more due to morning rush hour traffic. The park which is named after
    the reservoir it surrounds is located above Trenton in the middle of the
    state. It's the Piedmont Plateau region which is known for rolling
    hills and rocks. That was also part of the plan. Bring the new bike to
    the rocks.

    After loading up the car, i was surprised that the trip only took 1:15
    even with traffic. Wow! It's as close as the Delaware trails I have
    been riding. The other surprise was hills. Yes, climbs over 200' for a
    change.

    The weather was a little gloomy when I arrived, which was unexpected.
    But no rain.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3537.jpg

    I don't know why I came here sooner. It's a beautiful park and far
    enough from the hustle and bustle to make it seem like I am in another
    state. The reservoir is huge!

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3538.jpg

    I check out the options which is hard since there are no trail maps
    posted. I see two trails on each side of the lot, the Pine Tree trail
    marked in blue and the Cashetunk trail marked in red. I opt for the
    blue, not knowing the red is really the one I want. I consider it a
    warm up and lesson learned. It just follows the water to the boat
    launch area. It is a small loop so I stay low at the start and come
    back through the high route. Some rocks, but not technical.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3540.jpg

    That short fest out of the way I point myself to the Cashetunk trail.
    It starts out pretty lame with gravel covered fireroad, but the view
    from one of the high points is nice.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3542.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3543.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3544.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3545.jpg

    Finally, some singletrack but it's all up hill from here.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3546.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3547.jpg

    There are some great switchbacks that I captured in the video of the
    ride. Nice little section that eventually goes downhill to the backside
    of the reservoir. The earth wall holding the water is mind boggling.
    Amazing engineering that I didn't take a picture of.

    Crossing over an access road you begin the climb up Cashetunk mountain.
    It's a long steep climb, and with the heavy bike granny was my friend
    today.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3548.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3549.jpg

    Then it appears! Rocks and lots of them. Loose ones, babyheads, and
    tombstones. I'd compare it to American Standard in Jim Thorpe only with
    a lot more climbing. Now the ride is really fun and there are no lines
    to choose because the bike just soaks it all up.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3550.jpg

    I remember when I used to be nervous about these stupid hard objects. I
    used to ride so slow that I would hit a babyhead and go OTB at least
    three times a ride. I finally learned the faster you go, the easier it
    is. after a few miles of climbing this stuff, I check my coordinates.
    The trail is supposed to be 9 miles in and 9 miles out, but I wasn't
    sure if that included the Pine Tree trail. After a while the trail
    started to level out. It was then I noticed that my rear brakes were
    very soft. I was almost touching the grip. It doesn't look like the
    bled them when they built the bike. At this point I turned the bike
    around and began to forget about the brake. Going back down the rocks
    was a blast!

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3551.jpg

    It sure made that nasty climb all worth it, even with having to climb up
    the switchbacks.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/IMG_3552.jpg

    So, it looks like I missed about four more miles (2 in and 2 out). Next
    time. And there will be a next time! Summer should be great because
    you can swim in public beach at the reservoir. I bled the brakes when I
    got home and it seems there were quite a few air bubbles. Now they work
    great.

    Here are the GPS details. Video coming soon.

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/rve.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/rvsat.jpg

    http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/rv0406/rvtopo.jpg
    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey Gary! 2750' of climbing today in New Jersey. We do have hills. It
    > ain't all flat.

    <snip>

    Nice RR.

    I love that trail. We have not been there in about 2 years, but plan on
    hitting it soon as we can get our legs and lungs back. Here's a few photos
    that we took last time, Frankie froglegs was there too:

    http://community.webshots.com/photo/83043198/1086428378048272604aXLEyw#

    http://community.webshots.com/photo/83043198/1086428406048272604HQAddz

    http://community.webshots.com/photo/83043198/1086429125048272604twiJfG

    http://community.webshots.com/photo/83043198/1086429167048272604thrsDe

    http://community.webshots.com/photo/83043198/1086429553048272604lIqqPJ

    http://community.webshots.com/photo/83043198/1086428443048272604piyJJX

    I can see that it still looks the same.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Hey Gary! 2750' of climbing today in New Jersey. We do have hills. It
    >> ain't all flat.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Nice RR.
    >
    > I love that trail. We have not been there in about 2 years, but plan on
    > hitting it soon as we can get our legs and lungs back. Here's a few photos
    > that we took last time, Frankie froglegs was there too:
    >
    > http://community.webshots.com/photo/83043198/1086428378048272604aXLEyw#
    >
    > I can see that it still looks the same.

    Wow. Yes, it has not changed. Let me know when you go and I'll meet
    you guys there. Bring the Kayak too.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  4. Jimbo(san)

    Jimbo(san) Guest

    I really love that place...
    One year BC (before Carla) my buddy Frankie Froglegs and I rode
    there...
    It was an incredibly hot and humid day... we rode for a bit and then
    swam for a bit...
    I fell in love with the place...
    Sounds like a plan for the summer...
    What's in Delaware close by?
    We might do a weekender... a couple of days a couple of trails...
    We did that a few years ago and I think we did Stewart Airport and
    Ringwood.

    Jimbo(san)

  5. troutboy

    troutboy Guest

    >What's in Delaware close by?

    White Clay Creek/Middle Run - about 25 miles of nice fast single track.
    Fair Hill (in Maryland, but 15 minutes away) - about 75 miles of trails
    and some really sweet single track.

    Oh, and we do have some hill here ;-)

    Come on down for a weekend. Your welcome to crash in the spare
    bedroom. I live right across the street from Middle Run. It would be
    worth the drive from the Island. I'd say 2.5-3 hours, depending on
    when you left and how far up the sand spit you are.

    But come before the heat and humidity do for best enjoyment.

    e-mail me at timothy dot schafstall at us dot army dot mil

    Tim

  6. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Jimbo(san) wrote:
    > I really love that place...
    > One year BC (before Carla) my buddy Frankie Froglegs and I rode
    > there...
    > It was an incredibly hot and humid day... we rode for a bit and then
    > swam for a bit...
    > I fell in love with the place...
    > Sounds like a plan for the summer...
    > What's in Delaware close by?
    > We might do a weekender... a couple of days a couple of trails...
    > We did that a few years ago and I think we did Stewart Airport and
    > Ringwood.
    >
    > Jimbo(san)

    DE will be about two hours from there. Not bad for a ride/camp at RV
    and then more riding in DE. OF course if I had to choose, I would ride
    RV and then go up Rt. 31 to the Poconos.

    Sounds like a plan is setting in (provided I am not moving before then -
    had a positive first interview with a Seattle company).

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  7. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Scott Gordo wrote:

    > Yep. Good trail.
    >
    > Messy race report from 2000:
    >
    > "Here's the long version, emailed to a non-MTBing friend:
    >
    > Round Valley, Lebanon NJ.
    > Round 1, NJ Mountain Bike Racing Association
    > 1:32:55. 25th place of 59, Intermediate class.
    >

    > As is my modus, I arrived late, semi-prepared, after 5 hours sleep on
    > mom's
    > couch, with a pre-race dinner consisting of pork and couple beers.
    > Excelsior!
    > I registered as an Intermediate, even though my last race was 11 years
    > ago
    > at Mount Snow, back before suspension forks, back when John Tomac won
    > the
    > downhill race and the NORBA championship using those curly road-bike
    > drop
    > bars, back when I was around 30lbs lighter and working carpentry, back
    > when
    > I had half a dozen donuts for breakfast and still finished well.
    > The route was a single 14 mile loop of big rocks, roots, and sticky mud
    > from
    > a previous day, night, and morning of steady rain. Of that 14, I'd
    > estimate
    > that at least 9 were uphill. The first seven were ALL uphill.
    > First thing to go was my granny (small) gear. My front derrailleur just

    <snip funny race report>

    LOL! I swear the place is 90% uphill! And just when you think it
    levels off, up it goes again. I might be going back again on Sunday as
    one of my riding pals is now psyched to try it. I love those rocks but
    they're small compared to Jim Thorpe. I was told there is another park
    a few miles from there that has much bigger career ending rocks. I
    think it's called sourlands (ha, good name).

    Was the race you did called King of the Hill? I had a hard enough time
    riding slow up the hill, I can only imagine the gruntfest an all out
    race there would be.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  8. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > LOL! I swear the place is 90% uphill! And just when you think it
    > levels off, up it goes again. I might be going back again on Sunday as
    > one of my riding pals is now psyched to try it. I love those rocks but
    > they're small compared to Jim Thorpe. I was told there is another park
    > a few miles from there that has much bigger career ending rocks. I
    > think it's called sourlands (ha, good name).

    I agree. It just keeps going up, very strange how its like that. Even when
    coming back to the trail head, the frickin' trail still keeps pointing
    upwards. Jim Thorpe has some nice sized trails that consist of just rock
    gardens. Fun to ride when the rocks are wet and slippery from morning dew.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  9. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Scott Gordo wrote:

    > But I'd definitely be down for RV with you guys over the next couple
    > months....
    >
    > /s

    Cool. It looks like a mini AMB-East in the making.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws