RR: Scary Animals!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Wheeler, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    Sunday morning here in Maryland was an excellent time for a ride.

    Wheels down at 7:00 am. The temp was about between 30 and 35 in the
    park. As you got closer to the running water you could feel the air
    temps drop. I love that feeling.

    I was riding what a group of 4 and around 7:30 we hit our first climb.
    Two of us were out front me and another rider on a FS rig I think it
    was what JD calls a Sad-a-Cruz Super Light or something. We were
    hammering hard and all of the sudden I hear this bark/growl I thought
    we had spooked someone's big dog or something. The bark/growl scared
    the livin' sh!t out of me.

    I looked to my left where the noise came from and I saw perhaps the
    biggest fscking raccoon in history. It was about 10 to 15 feet off
    trail. HOLY CRAP was this thing huge! I'm don't know if these things
    can puff themselves up or what. Picture a large dog, say a German
    Shepherd 70 to 80 pounds easily sitting on his haunches. That's what
    this sonofabitch looked like!

    "BIG ASS COON LEFT!" I yelled to the riders behind. Not that I could
    hammer any harder at the time I saw this beast but I sure tried.
    From what I understand raccoons are generally nocturnal so I
    immediately thought this guy could have some sleep deprivation
    problems and perhaps rabies. I wasn't stickin' around to find out.

    It didn't give chase thank god! That definitely warmed us up and the
    pins and needles finally left my hands.

    We rode on for another 2 and 1/2 hours and I had perhaps one of my
    best rides of the year so far.

    The SS is holding up fine other than the BB, which I just ordered
    another one yesterday evening. I'm going to stick in a Truvativ Giga
    Pipe Team DH. I figure that will be beefy enough and last a little
    longer without play developing in the left bearings.

    I think I may make the mods and go tubeless this winter. Anybody use
    Stans? or have any recommendations on tubeless conversions?

    Peace,
    Bill

    The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
    a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
    and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
    Sir Isaac Newton

    Tags:

  2. GWood

    GWood Guest

    Coons can be very nasty if cornered or startled. Good thing you weren't
    heading his way.

    On the topic of scary animals....

    A couple of years back my wife and I did a camping/hiking/biking tour down
    to the 4-corners region. After hiking in the Grand Canyon area, we drove
    south to the Kaibab National Forest and rode a few sections of the Arizona
    Trail. We rode a loop out of one trailhead near Marble Canyon and were on
    our way back to the car when there was a big ruckus off to one side of the
    trail. We saw big bushes moving and heard lots of noises. I figured we had
    startled some deer or elk who were bedded down.

    When we arrived back at the trailhead a few minutes later, there was a ride
    tour escort truck parked there. We chatted with the excited driver, who was
    supposed to be preparing lunch for a group that was headed that way. He
    said that 10 minutes before we arrived, a big mountain lion had appeared in
    the clearing beside the trailhead. It checked him over pretty carefully
    from about 100 feet away, and he jumped into the cab and hit the horn a few
    times. The lion sauntered down the trail we had just exited from,
    apparently not too upset by the sound of the horn. He wondered if we had
    seen the critter on our ride.

    I still like to think the big noise was a startled deer - a big cat probably
    would have been more stealthy. But I can't imagine we got past the lion
    without being carefully looked at and evaluated as a possible meal.

    Gary

    > Sunday morning here in Maryland was an excellent time for a ride.
    >
    > I looked to my left where the noise came from and I saw perhaps the
    > biggest fscking raccoon in history. It was about 10 to 15 feet off
    > trail. HOLY CRAP was this thing huge! I'm don't know if these things
    > can puff themselves up or what. Picture a large dog, say a German
    > Shepherd 70 to 80 pounds easily sitting on his haunches. That's what
    > this sonofabitch looked like!

  3. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    > Sunday morning here in Maryland was an excellent time for a ride.
    >
    > Wheels down at 7:00 am. The temp was about between 30 and 35 in the
    > park. As you got closer to the running water you could feel the air
    > temps drop. I love that feeling.
    >
    > I was riding what a group of 4 and around 7:30 we hit our first climb.
    > Two of us were out front me and another rider on a FS rig I think it
    > was what JD calls a Sad-a-Cruz Super Light or something. We were
    > hammering hard and all of the sudden I hear this bark/growl I thought
    > we had spooked someone's big dog or something. The bark/growl scared
    > the livin' sh!t out of me.
    >
    > I looked to my left where the noise came from and I saw perhaps the
    > biggest fscking raccoon in history. It was about 10 to 15 feet off
    > trail. HOLY CRAP was this thing huge! I'm don't know if these things
    > can puff themselves up or what. Picture a large dog, say a German
    > Shepherd 70 to 80 pounds easily sitting on his haunches. That's what
    > this sonofabitch looked like!
    >
    > "BIG ASS COON LEFT!" I yelled to the riders behind. Not that I could
    > hammer any harder at the time I saw this beast but I sure tried.
    > From what I understand raccoons are generally nocturnal so I
    > immediately thought this guy could have some sleep deprivation
    > problems and perhaps rabies. I wasn't stickin' around to find out.
    >
    > It didn't give chase thank god! That definitely warmed us up and the
    > pins and needles finally left my hands.
    >
    > We rode on for another 2 and 1/2 hours and I had perhaps one of my
    > best rides of the year so far.
    >
    > The SS is holding up fine other than the BB, which I just ordered
    > another one yesterday evening. I'm going to stick in a Truvativ Giga
    > Pipe Team DH. I figure that will be beefy enough and last a little
    > longer without play developing in the left bearings.
    >
    > I think I may make the mods and go tubeless this winter. Anybody use
    > Stans? or have any recommendations on tubeless conversions?
    >
    > Peace,
    > Bill
    >

    > The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
    > a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
    > and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
    > Sir Isaac Newton

    Nice. Well, not really, but quite exciting. the unexpected keeps life
    interesting, and great story.

    CDB

  4. Marty

    Marty Guest

    > Sunday morning here in Maryland was an excellent time for a ride.

    Amen Bill. I went into the Patapsco State Park up by Sykesville Sunday
    morning
    and got in about 12 miles.

    Very nice morning. No raccoons though.

    Marty