RR: scratch scratch (looong)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich

It's amazing what a new piece of hardware can do sometimes. Last night I installed my new fork
and went for the obligitory bouncy bouncy test ride. I knew the fork was good and it started a
little itch.

Woke up this morning and the itch was developing into a rash, had to pass the bike 3 times while
getting ready. Oh man did i want to ride.

Work was pretty much a cycle of a few minutes of work followed by an equal amount of mtb related
surfing, hit every site I knew and found a few new ones. At this point I'm pretty much dying, hives
everywhere, must scratch.

Rush home and the better half doesn't even ask, she knows and just gives the curfew as I stumble out
the door carrying all the gear, bike, and a snack hanging from my mouth. We have things to do so I
only an hour or so of ride time to work with.

Fiddling with all the new annodized knobs on the fork was fun for the first few minutes but quikly I
forgot about the new toy and just had a blast riding. Everything bowed to my wheel and let me pass,
the riding was smooth and, well, just a hell of a lot of fun. I was having a blast.

Once the itch was soothed a bit I found myself at the bmxish center area of our trail and started
goofing off. There is this one area that is almost like a dirt halfpipe, about 10 ft high on each
side, one steep and the other a bit more gentle, perfect for working up speed for the other half.
Most of us get a kick out of watching the local heroes doing 180's at the top of the steeper half
and backpedaling a bit, while us mortals entertain ourselves just zooming back and forth and maybe
getting a tiny bit of awkward air. I have aspirations of pulling the 180 some day but I have no
skillz once the knobbies leave the dirt (I really just want them back on the dirt as quickly as
possible), so in the interim I am working on a 90deg rotation and diving back to the other side. So
far I've made it maybe 15 deg. yay.

I don't know what came over me but I kinda "figured it out" and made a 90deg. It turns out that once
a certian threshold is crossed, seemed to be about 60 deg or so, the rest is easy. To shorten a bit,
after a giddy half hour of frantic tries I was pullin the full 180!! Granted it looked like a scared
cat flailing around to see what spooked it, but dammit I was landing em.

pant pant giggle pant, ok, curfew, head home. Got back on the driveway, still glowing at this point,
and couldn't resist riding around a bit.

...an hour later was back in the driveway again. The groove was so groovy that all sorts of things
in the hood were just begging to be ridden, nothing big, but lots of fun. Discoverd a bunch of new
toys to calm me down when I get a little itch in the future. Bonus.

Back in the house I was relieved to learn that she'd calculated in an hour or so of buffer time (she
knows me well and we have a very functional relationship) so I wasn't even in trouble.

still giddy and I only have to work a half day tomorrow. Scratch scratch...

Rich wrote:

> Once the itch was soothed a bit I found myself at the bmxish center area of our trail and started
> goofing off. There is this one area that is almost like a dirt halfpipe, about 10 ft high on each
> side, one steep and the other a bit more gentle, perfect for working up speed for the other half.
> Most of us get a kick out of watching the local heroes doing 180's at the top of the steeper half
> and backpedaling a bit,

I'm confused. If you 180 out of the top of a half pipe, you come back in forwards, so why would you
need to backpedal? Or do you mean airing straight up and and coming back in backwards (fakie).

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Rich wrote:
>
> > Once the itch was soothed a bit I found myself at the bmxish center area of our trail and
> > started goofing off. There is this one area that is almost like a dirt halfpipe, about 10 ft
> > high on each side, one steep and the other a bit more gentle, perfect for working up speed for
> > the other half. Most of us get a kick out of watching the local heroes doing 180's at the top of
> > the steeper half and backpedaling a bit,
>
> I'm confused. If you 180 out of the top of a half pipe, you come back in forwards, so why would
> you need to backpedal? Or do you mean airing straight up and and coming back in backwards (fakie).
>

I was a little confused myself but I figured he meant airing out of the transition - onto the
"deck". I imagine the 90 he initially aspired to would be interesting if it was still in the
halfpipe...

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's amazing what a new piece of hardware can do sometimes. Last night I installed my new fork
> and went for the obligitory bouncy bouncy test ride. I knew the fork was good and it started a
> little itch.
>
> Woke up this morning and the itch was developing into a rash, had to pass the bike 3 times while
> getting ready. Oh man did i want to ride.
>
> Work was pretty much a cycle of a few minutes of work followed by an equal amount of mtb related
> surfing, hit every site I knew and found a few new ones. At this point I'm pretty much dying,
> hives everywhere, must scratch.
>
> Rush home and the better half doesn't even ask, she knows and just gives the curfew as I stumble
> out the door carrying all the gear, bike, and a snack hanging from my mouth. We have things to do
> so I only an hour or so of ride time to work with.
>
> Fiddling with all the new annodized knobs on the fork was fun for the first few minutes but quikly
> I forgot about the new toy and just had a blast riding. Everything bowed to my wheel and let me
> pass, the riding was smooth and, well, just a hell of a lot of fun. I was having a blast.
>
> Once the itch was soothed a bit I found myself at the bmxish center area of our trail and started
> goofing off. There is this one area that is almost like a dirt halfpipe, about 10 ft high on each
> side, one steep and the other a bit more gentle, perfect for working up speed for the other half.
> Most of us get a kick out of watching the local heroes doing 180's at the top of the steeper half
> and backpedaling a bit, while us mortals entertain ourselves just zooming back and forth and maybe
> getting a tiny bit of awkward air. I have aspirations of pulling the 180 some day but I have no
> skillz once the knobbies leave the dirt (I really just want them back on the dirt as quickly as
> possible), so in the interim I am working on a 90deg rotation and diving back to the other side.
> So far I've made it maybe 15 deg. yay.
>
> I don't know what came over me but I kinda "figured it out" and made a 90deg. It turns out that
> once a certian threshold is crossed, seemed to be about 60 deg or so, the rest is easy. To shorten
> a bit, after a giddy half hour of frantic tries I was pullin the full 180!! Granted it looked like
> a scared cat flailing around to see what spooked it, but dammit I was landing em.
>
> pant pant giggle pant, ok, curfew, head home. Got back on the driveway, still glowing at this
> point, and couldn't resist riding around a bit.
>
> ...an hour later was back in the driveway again. The groove was so groovy that all sorts of things
> in the hood were just begging to be ridden, nothing big, but lots of fun. Discoverd a bunch of new
> toys to calm me down when I get a little itch in the future. Bonus.
>
> Back in the house I was relieved to learn that she'd calculated in an hour or so of buffer time
> (she knows me well and we have a very functional relationship) so I wasn't even in trouble.
>
> still giddy and I only have to work a half day tomorrow. Scratch
scratch...
>

Nice. Now all you have to do is turn a little bit more and voila - broken foot.

Steve E.

spademan o---[) * wrote:
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Rich wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Once the itch was soothed a bit I found myself at the bmxish center area of our trail and started
>>>goofing off. There is this one area that is almost like a dirt halfpipe, about 10 ft high on each
>>>side, one steep and the other a bit more gentle, perfect for working up speed for the other half.
>>>Most of us get a kick out of watching the local heroes doing 180's at the top of the steeper half
>>>and backpedaling a bit,
>>
>>I'm confused. If you 180 out of the top of a half pipe, you come back in forwards, so why would
>>you need to backpedal? Or do you mean airing straight up and and coming back in backwards (fakie).
>>
>
>
> I was a little confused myself but I figured he meant airing out of the transition - onto the
> "deck". I imagine the 90 he initially aspired to would be interesting if it was still in the
> halfpipe...
>
>
Yea, like that. It's just a dirt hill so the move is to launch off of the "ramp" and 180 in the air,
land on the deck, and then do whatever.

Rich wrote:

>> I was a little confused myself but I figured he meant airing out of the transition - onto the
>> "deck". I imagine the 90 he initially aspired to would be interesting if it was still in the
>> halfpipe...
>>
>>
> Yea, like that. It's just a dirt hill so the move is to launch off of the "ramp" and 180 in the
> air, land on the deck, and then do whatever.

Normal protocol would dictate a roll back followed by a 180 pivot out...

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

bomba wrote:
> Rich wrote:
>
>>> I was a little confused myself but I figured he meant airing out of the transition - onto the
>>> "deck". I imagine the 90 he initially aspired to would be interesting if it was still in the
>>> halfpipe...
>>>
>>>
>> Yea, like that. It's just a dirt hill so the move is to launch off of the "ramp" and 180 in the
>> air, land on the deck, and then do whatever.
>
>
> Normal protocol would dictate a roll back followed by a 180 pivot out...
>
I'll work on that:) What happens now, and I don't have that much control over it, is a stall when I
land and then I can drop back in.

spademan o---[) * wrote:

> "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>It's amazing what a new piece of hardware can do sometimes. Last night I installed my new fork
>>and went for the obligitory bouncy bouncy test ride. I knew the fork was good and it started a
>>little itch.
>>
>>Woke up this morning and the itch was developing into a rash, had to pass the bike 3 times while
>>getting ready. Oh man did i want to ride.
>>
>>Work was pretty much a cycle of a few minutes of work followed by an equal amount of mtb related
>>surfing, hit every site I knew and found a few new ones. At this point I'm pretty much dying,
>>hives everywhere, must scratch.
>>
>>Rush home and the better half doesn't even ask, she knows and just gives the curfew as I stumble
>>out the door carrying all the gear, bike, and a snack hanging from my mouth. We have things to do
>>so I only an hour or so of ride time to work with.
>>
>>Fiddling with all the new annodized knobs on the fork was fun for the first few minutes but quikly
>>I forgot about the new toy and just had a blast riding. Everything bowed to my wheel and let me
>>pass, the riding was smooth and, well, just a hell of a lot of fun. I was having a blast.
>>
>>Once the itch was soothed a bit I found myself at the bmxish center area of our trail and started
>>goofing off. There is this one area that is almost like a dirt halfpipe, about 10 ft high on each
>>side, one steep and the other a bit more gentle, perfect for working up speed for the other half.
>>Most of us get a kick out of watching the local heroes doing 180's at the top of the steeper half
>>and backpedaling a bit, while us mortals entertain ourselves just zooming back and forth and maybe
>>getting a tiny bit of awkward air. I have aspirations of pulling the 180 some day but I have no
>>skillz once the knobbies leave the dirt (I really just want them back on the dirt as quickly as
>>possible), so in the interim I am working on a 90deg rotation and diving back to the other side.
>>So far I've made it maybe 15 deg. yay.
>>
>>I don't know what came over me but I kinda "figured it out" and made a 90deg. It turns out that
>>once a certian threshold is crossed, seemed to be about 60 deg or so, the rest is easy. To shorten
>>a bit, after a giddy half hour of frantic tries I was pullin the full 180!! Granted it looked like
>>a scared cat flailing around to see what spooked it, but dammit I was landing em.
>>
>>pant pant giggle pant, ok, curfew, head home. Got back on the driveway, still glowing at this
>>point, and couldn't resist riding around a bit.
>>
>>...an hour later was back in the driveway again. The groove was so groovy that all sorts of things
>>in the hood were just begging to be ridden, nothing big, but lots of fun. Discoverd a bunch of new
>>toys to calm me down when I get a little itch in the future. Bonus.
>>
>>Back in the house I was relieved to learn that she'd calculated in an hour or so of buffer time
>>(she knows me well and we have a very functional relationship) so I wasn't even in trouble.
>>
>>still giddy and I only have to work a half day tomorrow. Scratch
>
> scratch...
>
>
> Nice. Now all you have to do is turn a little bit more and voila - broken foot.
>
> Steve E.
>
>

It's probably possible at this spot. <puts on winter hiking boots

Status
Not open for further replies.