RR: Screaming Trees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carla A-G

No, not the Seattle band from the early 90's. They were the trees in Bethpage on last night's ride.
I kid you not...it was COLD! A light dusting of snow covered the trails. We dressed just right. Our
various layers of clothing protected us well from the biting harsh conditions that we faced. The
balaclavas and full face helmets were worn. Leaving any part of your skin out for exposure left it
as a target for sure frost bite. I had a new spring on my rear shock and I wanted to test it out. I
had forgotten to bring the sport glasses from my employer that I was supposed to test out too.

The first 20 minutes into the ride were horrendous. The extremities were starting to quickly freeze.
We had to pedal faster to get the heat and circulation going in our bodies.

The wind howled through the woods. The trees creaked and groaned. They sounded like animals
screaming into the cold night air. We kept looking behind us and into the woods. We were
spooked. Riding out of the Brickyard, it was deathly silent. Just Jim, me and the woods. We
pedaled faster and kept looking behind us to make sure that nobody was really there. The trees
continued to speak...

Into the Peckham Loop we rode. We had several encounters with the infamous "ghost birds". These are
birds that just sit in the middle of the trail, petrified and silent. When you approach, you don't
know that they are there until the last second when your light shines on them and they awaken and
startle the living shyte out of you by flying directly in front of your face (supposedly flying
towards the lights on your helmet). We rode this section with caution. I didn't have the urge to be
impaled in the face by a tiny bird beak. Several birds popped out from the middle of the trail as we
had expected. None were hit.

The brakes were starting to get mushy. The temperature was affecting the oil in the lines by the end
of the ride. The new spring on my rear shock made my tank bike feel extremely plushy.

The trees continued to scream as we completed the ride and left the woods. What they were saying, we
will never know...

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| No, not the Seattle band from the early 90's. They were the trees in Bethpage on last night's
| ride. I kid you not...it was COLD! A light
dusting
| of snow covered the trails. We dressed just right. Our various layers of clothing protected us
| well from the biting harsh conditions that we faced. The balaclavas and full face helmets were
| worn. Leaving any part of your skin out for exposure left it as a target for sure frost bite. I
| had a new spring on my rear shock and I wanted to test it out. I had forgotten to bring the sport
| glasses from my employer that I was supposed to test out too.
|
| The first 20 minutes into the ride were horrendous. The extremities were starting to quickly
| freeze. We had to pedal faster to get the heat and circulation going in our bodies.
|
| The wind howled through the woods. The trees creaked and groaned. They sounded like animals
| screaming into the cold night air. We kept looking behind us and into the woods. We were spooked.
| Riding out of the
Brickyard,
| it was deathly silent. Just Jim, me and the woods. We pedaled faster and kept looking behind us to
| make sure that nobody was really there. The
trees
| continued to speak...
|
| Into the Peckham Loop we rode. We had several encounters with the infamous "ghost birds". These
| are birds that just sit in the middle of the trail, petrified and silent. When you approach, you
| don't know that they are
there
| until the last second when your light shines on them and they awaken and startle the living shyte
| out of you by flying directly in front of your
face
| (supposedly flying towards the lights on your helmet). We rode this
section
| with caution. I didn't have the urge to be impaled in the face by a tiny bird beak. Several birds
| popped out from the middle of the trail as we had expected. None were hit.
|
| The brakes were starting to get mushy. The temperature was affecting the
oil
| in the lines by the end of the ride. The new spring on my rear shock made
my
| tank bike feel extremely plushy.
|
| The trees continued to scream as we completed the ride and left the woods. What they were saying,
| we will never know...
|
| - CA-G
|
| Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
|
Sweet......sounds like an awesome ride. I am sure some will pick holes but I love rides like you
just described.

Simon :eek:)

Carla A-G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> No, not the Seattle band from the early 90's. They were the trees in Bethpage on last night's
> ride. I kid you not...it was COLD! A light
dusting
> of snow covered the trails. We dressed just right. Our various layers of clothing protected us
> well from the biting harsh conditions that we faced. The balaclavas and full face helmets were
> worn. Leaving any part of your skin out for exposure left it as a target for sure frost bite. I
> had a new spring on my rear shock and I wanted to test it out. I had forgotten to bring the sport
> glasses from my employer that I was supposed to test out too.
>
> The first 20 minutes into the ride were horrendous. The extremities were starting to quickly
> freeze. We had to pedal faster to get the heat and circulation going in our bodies.
>
> The wind howled through the woods. The trees creaked and groaned. They sounded like animals
> screaming into the cold night air. We kept looking behind us and into the woods. We were spooked.
> Riding out of the
Brickyard,
> it was deathly silent. Just Jim, me and the woods. We pedaled faster and kept looking behind us to
> make sure that nobody was really there. The
trees
> continued to speak...
>
> Into the Peckham Loop we rode. We had several encounters with the infamous "ghost birds". These
> are birds that just sit in the middle of the trail, petrified and silent. When you approach, you
> don't know that they are
there
> until the last second when your light shines on them and they awaken and startle the living shyte
> out of you by flying directly in front of your
face
> (supposedly flying towards the lights on your helmet). We rode this
section
> with caution. I didn't have the urge to be impaled in the face by a tiny bird beak. Several birds
> popped out from the middle of the trail as we had expected. None were hit.
>
> The brakes were starting to get mushy. The temperature was affecting the
oil
> in the lines by the end of the ride. The new spring on my rear shock made
my
> tank bike feel extremely plushy.

Top one Carla!

> The trees continued to scream as we completed the ride and left the woods. What they were saying,
> we will never know...

"It's ****ing cold out here!" ?

Shaun aRe

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> No, not the Seattle band from the early 90's. They were the trees in Bethpage on last night's
> ride. I kid you not...it was COLD! A light dusting of snow covered the trails. We dressed just
> right. Our various layers of clothing protected us well from the biting harsh conditions that we
> faced. The balaclavas and full face helmets were worn. Leaving any part of your skin out for
> exposure left it as a target for sure frost bite. I had a new spring on my rear shock and I wanted
> to test it out. I had forgotten to bring the sport glasses from my employer that I was supposed to
> test out too.
>
> The first 20 minutes into the ride were horrendous. The extremities were starting to quickly
> freeze. We had to pedal faster to get the heat and circulation going in our bodies.
>
> The wind howled through the woods. The trees creaked and groaned. They sounded like animals
> screaming into the cold night air. We kept looking behind us and into the woods. We were spooked.
> Riding out of the Brickyard, it was deathly silent. Just Jim, me and the woods. We pedaled faster
> and kept looking behind us to make sure that nobody was really there. The trees continued to
> speak...
>
> Into the Peckham Loop we rode. We had several encounters with the infamous "ghost birds". These
> are birds that just sit in the middle of the trail, petrified and silent. When you approach, you
> don't know that they are there until the last second when your light shines on them and they
> awaken and startle the living shyte out of you by flying directly in front of your face
> (supposedly flying towards the lights on your helmet). We rode this section with caution. I didn't
> have the urge to be impaled in the face by a tiny bird beak. Several birds popped out from the
> middle of the trail as we had expected. None were hit.
>
> The brakes were starting to get mushy. The temperature was affecting the oil in the lines by the
> end of the ride. The new spring on my rear shock made my tank bike feel extremely plushy.
>
> The trees continued to scream as we completed the ride and left the woods. What they were saying,
> we will never know...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

They're saying, "What are you doiiiing ooouuuutsiiiiide? You must be craaaazy, or
Canaaaaadiannnn...." If you Canuck expats say it was cold, I feel vindicated to having spent the
evening boozing, eating, and affixing Zefal fenders/playing with the Dremel. And slopping "Kiss My
Face" Olive and Aloe moisturizer onto my tattered mug. It's doing a sufficient job and keeping my
face's peeling down. Smells nice too. I recommend it. /s

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> ride. I kid you not...it was COLD! A light
dusting
> of snow covered the trails. We dressed just right. Our various layers of clothing protected us
> well from the biting harsh conditions that we faced. The balaclavas and full face helmets were
> worn. Leaving any part of your skin out for exposure left it as a target for sure frost bite. I
> had a new spring on my rear shock and I wanted to test it out. I had forgotten to bring the sport
> glasses from my employer that I was supposed to test out too.
>
>
> Riding out of the
Brickyard,
> it was deathly silent. Just Jim, me and the woods. We pedaled faster and kept looking behind us to
> make sure that nobody was really there. The
trees
> continued to speak...
>
> don't know that they are
there
> until the last second when your light shines on them and they awaken and startle the living shyte
> out of you by flying directly in front of your
face
> (supposedly flying towards the lights on your helmet). We rode this
section
> with caution. I didn't have the urge to be impaled in the face by a tiny bird beak. Several birds
> popped out from the middle of the trail as we had expected. None were hit.
>
> The brakes were starting to get mushy. The temperature was affecting the
oil
> in the lines by the end of the ride. The new spring on my rear shock made
my
> tank bike feel extremely plushy.
>
> we will never know...

The makers of "The Blair Witch Project" are gonna film you next time.

Working title: "The Silence of the Trees"

Bill "went to Blair High School (and thought I married a witch until I met wife #2!)" S.

The big trees in the bone yard at 5am on my way to work were screaming too. And the wind was
howlering under my 2 hoods and into my ears. The temps read 6 degree from the little black box on my
handlebars. The wind chill was well below 0. My gotee frozen for the 1 st time this winter.

Fire up MTB 03

Carla, trees don't sceam... - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ... they bark!

<nyuk nyuk

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:03:24 -0500, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

>No, not the Seattle band from the early 90's. They were the trees in Bethpage on last night's ride.
>I kid you not...it was COLD! A light dusting of snow covered the trails. We dressed just right. Our
>various layers of clothing protected us well from the biting harsh conditions that we faced. The
>balaclavas and full face helmets were worn. Leaving any part of your skin out for exposure left it
>as a target for sure frost bite. I had a new spring on my rear shock and I wanted to test it out. I
>had forgotten to bring the sport glasses from my employer that I was supposed to test out too.
>
>The first 20 minutes into the ride were horrendous. The extremities were starting to quickly
>freeze. We had to pedal faster to get the heat and circulation going in our bodies.
>
>The wind howled through the woods. The trees creaked and groaned. They sounded like animals
>screaming into the cold night air. We kept looking behind us and into the woods. We were
>spooked. Riding out of the Brickyard, it was deathly silent. Just Jim, me and the woods. We
>pedaled faster and kept looking behind us to make sure that nobody was really there. The trees
>continued to speak...
>
>Into the Peckham Loop we rode. We had several encounters with the infamous "ghost birds". These are
>birds that just sit in the middle of the trail, petrified and silent. When you approach, you don't
>know that they are there until the last second when your light shines on them and they awaken and
>startle the living shyte out of you by flying directly in front of your face (supposedly flying
>towards the lights on your helmet). We rode this section with caution. I didn't have the urge to be
>impaled in the face by a tiny bird beak. Several birds popped out from the middle of the trail as
>we had expected. None were hit.
>
>The brakes were starting to get mushy. The temperature was affecting the oil in the lines by the
>end of the ride. The new spring on my rear shock made my tank bike feel extremely plushy.
>
>The trees continued to scream as we completed the ride and left the woods. What they were saying,
>we will never know...
>
>- CA-G
>
>Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
>
Stay warm and keep these RR coming.

Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Status
Not open for further replies.