RR: Second ride of the season (short/pics link)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Well, i pretty much rode in the same place as last time, though i went an additional 1.48 miles
    (hey, i'm still way out of shape).

    This time i was graced with that sweat-spot once again. you know, the one just after the initial
    lactic acid burns off and you feel like you can ride for miles and miles. Well, i used this "extra"
    energy to ride some more technical sections of trail. Other than that, same old, same old. I managed
    to forget my water bottle, again (you'd think i would have learned the first time).

    I took a few pictures this time. nothing real spectacular, just a few trail pics.
    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/photography/mtb/2003-04-25/

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  2. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:35:59 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, i pretty much rode in the same place as last time, though i went an additional 1.48 miles
    > (hey, i'm still way out of shape).
    >
    > This time i was graced with that sweat-spot once again. you know, the one just after the initial
    > lactic acid burns off and you feel like you can ride for miles and miles. Well, i used this
    > "extra" energy to ride some more technical sections of trail. Other than that, same old, same old.
    > I managed to forget my water bottle, again (you'd think i would have learned the first time).
    >
    > I took a few pictures this time. nothing real spectacular, just a few trail pics.
    > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/photography/mtb/2003-04-25/
    >
    > ~Travis

    Travis, are there any turns at all on that trail? In every single one of those photos the trail loks
    dead straight. COme on, give us some photos that pack a little more interest in!

    Miles (by the way, welcome back)

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:35:59 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Well, i pretty much rode in the same place as last time, though i went an additional 1.48 miles
    > > (hey, i'm still way out of shape).
    > >
    > > This time i was graced with that sweat-spot once again. you know, the one just after the initial
    > > lactic acid burns off and you feel like you can ride for miles and miles. Well, i used this
    > > "extra" energy to ride some more technical sections of trail. Other than that, same old, same
    > > old. I managed to forget my water bottle, again (you'd think i would have learned the first
    > > time).
    > >
    > > I took a few pictures this time. nothing real spectacular, just a few trail pics.
    > > http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/photography/mtb/2003-04-25/
    > >
    > > ~Travis
    >

    > Travis, are there any turns at all on that trail? In every single one of those photos the trail
    > loks dead straight. COme on, give us some photos that pack a little more interest in!
    >
    > Miles (by the way, welcome back)

    Well, turns are hard to follow in a photograph so i rarely capture them. i will keep it in mind on
    the next ride though.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

  6. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    > > Well, turns are hard to follow in a photograph so i rarely capture them. i will keep it in mind
    > > on the next ride though.
    > >
    > > ~Travis
    >
    > that's silliness. I just took these yesterday,
    >
    > http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/esmerelda2.jpg http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/esmerelda1.jpg

    Most of the turns on the trails i ride are obstructed by trees. Though looking at your photos,
    perhaps i was viewing them at the wrong angle. i'll experiment a bit on the next ride (should be
    able to get a bit more mileage in too).

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

  8. Mtbguy

    Mtbguy Guest

  9. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:33:55 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    > BB wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:02:33 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/esmerelda2.jpg
    >>> http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/esmerelda1.jpg
    >>
    >> Let me guess: "its steeper than it looks".
    >
    > actually these look about right. I don't profess to be a great or even good photographer...
    > snapshots R US... but If I can get a few turns in the frame, surely Travis can?

    I was referring to the "photo flattening effect". Certainly not a comment about your photography.
    I've yet to hear that anyone has figured out how to get a picture (or video) to show how steep a
    hill really is.

    BTW, Travis - are those fireroads just gentle romps through level woodlands or grinds up a hill?

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    BB wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:33:55 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    >> BB wrote:

    >>> Let me guess: "its steeper than it looks".
    >>
    >> actually these look about right. I don't profess to be a great or even good photographer...
    >> snapshots R US... but If I can get a few turns in the frame, surely Travis can?
    >
    > I was referring to the "photo flattening effect". Certainly not a comment about your photography.
    > I've yet to hear that anyone has figured out how to get a picture (or video) to show how steep a
    > hill really is.

    I"ve always just gotten down real low ( like on my knees) and looked up the trail... works for
    me.www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/shoreline2.jpg

  11. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > BTW, Travis - are those fireroads just gentle romps through level woodlands or grinds up a hill?

    Well, none of them are fire roads.

    #0146, there is an exposed ledge there just in view. the view shows the
    backside that is smooth, the front is a little sharper as it is the edge of the ledge.

    #0147 is a shallow climb. the picture does not show the detail of the
    terrain. it is full of low "bulges" (not sure of the real term) typical of northeastern woods.

    #0148 is a nice smooth downhill (very low grade). at the end can be seen
    the main walking trail covered with the previously spoke of (in another thread) energy sapping bark.

    #0149 is actually part of the north end of the Sandy River Narrow Gauge
    railroad bed. fairly flat, but has a washout (#0150).

    #0150, this is the drop out some may remember from a while back that i
    was having trouble with. i now ride it with ease. you can see my tire mark in the soft soil to the
    left and then crosses over to the right side of the trail at the bottom (best way i found to ride it
    out. left side on the near end has some exposed roots).

    #0152, i am actually standing at the intersection of the new trail (that
    the ATVs obviously do not use). this is actually quite steep, i will see if i can get a grade shot
    on my next ride. above me is a rocky downhill (that i had to ride back up).

    On my next ride i will take much more pictures in an attempt to show what the terrain looks like
    (anybody want to load me a helmet cam, wink, wink). after reviewing the pictures, i can see where
    everybodies perspective comes from. they really don't show the technicality of the terrain i like to
    ride. photos really do flatten the terrain (if only i had a 3D holographic imager). I will try my
    best with photos, but to really know the terrain, you would have to experience it for yourself. i'm
    sure i could plot out a good 30 - 40 miles of good terrain should anybody be in the area. i rode it
    all in a day once and it just about killed me, though that's not saying much really. though now i
    have a car so i don't have to ride the extra miles to get from one trail to another (some are quite
    literally across town from the others).

    So it looks like i have a mission for my next ride. capture a very 3D terrain, in 2D while still
    maintaining a fair perspective. i will most likely put my bike in a few shots for perspective.
    like for instance, the washout in #0150, if i stood at the bottom, the tops would be about
    shoulder height, and the peaks are spaced about, well, we'll say between 6' and 8' (grade is about
    95% to 110%±5 on each side). those are guesses though, so don't go calculating them out and
    contradicting me ;-)

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  12. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:28:14 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

    > I"ve always just gotten down real low ( like on my knees) and looked up the trail... works for me.
    > www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/shoreline2.jpg

    Nice pic. Looks like a VERY interesting climb!

  13. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:07:02 -0400, Technician wrote:

    > likely put my bike in a few shots for perspective. like for instance, the washout in #0150, if i
    > stood at the bottom, the tops would be about shoulder height, and the peaks are spaced about,
    > well, we'll say between 6' and 8' (grade is about 95% to 110%±5 on each side). those are guesses
    > though, so don't go calculating them out and contradicting me ;-)

    How are YOU calculating the grade?

  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > I"ve always just gotten down real low ( like on my knees)

    Baker let THAT go to comment on BANDWIDTH?!?

    Bill "Steve, you ain't no Shaun" S.

  15. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    BB wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:07:02 -0400, Technician wrote:
    >
    >> likely put my bike in a few shots for perspective. like for instance, the washout in #0150, if i
    >> stood at the bottom, the tops would be about shoulder height, and the peaks are spaced about,
    >> well, we'll say between 6' and 8' (grade is about 95% to 110%±5 on each side). those are guesses
    >> though, so don't go calculating them out and contradicting me ;-)
    >
    > How are YOU calculating the grade?

    how much you wanna bet he's NOT using a clinometer.

    Penny

  16. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    BB wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:28:14 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    >
    >> I"ve always just gotten down real low ( like on my knees) and looked up the trail... works for
    >> me. www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/shoreline2.jpg
    >
    > Nice pic. Looks like a VERY interesting climb!

    I always go down it. ;-)

  17. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:07:02 -0400, Technician wrote:
    >
    > > likely put my bike in a few shots for perspective. like for instance, the washout in #0150, if i
    > > stood at the bottom, the tops would be about shoulder height, and the peaks are spaced about,
    > > well, we'll say between 6' and 8' (grade is about 95% to 110%±5 on each side). those are guesses
    > > though, so don't go calculating them out and contradicting me ;-)
    >
    > How are YOU calculating the grade?

    guessing (as it says). 45° = 100% grade. i just estimate it based on 45° and come up with it that
    way. i could be, and most likely am, way off though. I'll measure it someday (up from bottom, over
    to peak) and see what it really is.

    ~Travis