RR: Snow Ride At Patapsco State Park

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Wheeler, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    I went out for a great ride Sunday. It was fairly warm, mid to upper 30's. I donned the lightweight
    gear and some thermal tights and hit the trails with my SS.

    I rode to the trail head instead of driving this time, no need to drive in this weather. Very few
    people at the Landing Road entrance. As I get down into the woods the first part of the trails were
    somewhat hard packed by other hikers and bikers. All the tricksy roots are covered as long as you
    can keep the bike in the middle of the snow packed single track.

    It was going pretty easy......until I decided to take a trail that hadn't be ridden yet. It was a
    simple cross cut from the Morning Choice trail to the Ridge trail. The old x-cut had been closed
    some time ago and the new one isn't traveled that much. There was one set of tracks, hiking tracks,
    no bikes have made there way yet.

    There was still a good 4 to 5 inches of fresh snow. It didn't look too bad. I was wrong, by the time
    I got through the cross cut from Morning Choice to the Ridge Trail I was sweating and breathing
    pretty damn hard. I'm glad I knew the trail 'cause it was very hard to see the small 6 to 8 inch
    diameter logs that crisscross cross the trail. They kind of just look like small humps in the snow.
    As long as you lift the front and hop the back up they present no real problem, you just have to
    know they're there.

    It WAS completely quiet, not a sound of another biker or squirrel rustling the now covered dry
    leaves....until the Avids start howling. At first it was just a little squeak then it progressed to
    a full blown wail. This happened once before after crossing some icy streams during a very frigid
    ride. Nothing I could do but easy off for a while....More on that later.

    I took the Ridge Trail up to the Rockburn Branch loop. This trail had been a ridden and hiked on and
    was well packed. It's a great loop to ride if you just want to relax a bit. By this time I was
    actually burning up I had to take off the glove and ride bare handed. Next time I'll bring my
    lighter pair along as well as my cold weather gloves. As long as I stayed upright it shouldn't be a
    problem...and I did, and it wasn't.

    On the way back out on the Morning Choice trail I come upon two fellow bikers. They obviously heard
    me coming and decided to let me pass. I needed a rest so I stopped and chatted a bit. One was having
    problem with his Times he couldn't seem to get clipped in. The other was just flat out tired. He
    said something about the trail being unridable. What? You must be kidding. "Y'all have a good ride"
    I took the SS up and out with minor problems. I looked back about 10 minutes later and they were
    nowhere to be seen.

    All in all it was one of my best rides. Normally this route will take me just about an hour to
    complete. This time it took me 2 hours. It was one of the best workouts I've had in a long time.

    On the way home my fronts were still wailing. I began to wonder if it's just because of the moisture
    and coldness. I live near the bottom of a fairly large hill, so on the way down I'm riding the front
    brakes just enough to make a slight squeal, as the squeal goes away I give a little more pressure.
    I'm still picking up speed as the brakes heat up/dry out. Finally I can't apply full pressure with
    no annoying squeal. It was as if I re-seated the pads or just dried them out. To see if they'd
    squeal after they cooled I took another lap to the top of the street after about 5 minutes to see
    what would happen....No squeal....very interesting.

    BTW the brakes felt a LOT smoother after I heated them up.

    Love those brakes, love that bike,

    Bill(No MTB Season)Wheeler

    :-]

    Tags:

  2. Martees

    Martees Guest

    > I went out for a great ride Sunday. It was fairly warm, mid to upper 30's. I donned the
    > lightweight gear and some thermal tights and hit the trails with my SS.
    >
    > I rode to the trail head instead of driving this time, no need to drive in this weather. Very few
    > people at the Landing Road entrance. As I get down into the woods the first part of the trails
    > were somewhat hard packed by other hikers and bikers. All the tricksy roots are covered as long as
    > you can keep the bike in the middle of the snow packed single track.
    >
    > It was going pretty easy......until I decided to take a trail that hadn't be ridden yet. It was a
    > simple cross cut from the Morning Choice trail to the Ridge trail. The old x-cut had been closed
    > some time ago and the new one isn't traveled that much. There was one set of tracks, hiking
    > tracks, no bikes have made there way yet.
    >
    > There was still a good 4 to 5 inches of fresh snow. It didn't look too bad. I was wrong, by the
    > time I got through the cross cut from Morning Choice to the Ridge Trail I was sweating and
    > breathing pretty damn hard. I'm glad I knew the trail 'cause it was very hard to see the small 6
    > to 8 inch diameter logs that crisscross cross the trail. They kind of just look like small humps
    > in the snow. As long as you lift the front and hop the back up they present no real problem, you
    > just have to know they're there.

    Nice RR Bill. I haven't been out in this snow yet. I've heard those snow covered logs called "frozen
    snakes" before. I think it fits.

    Marty

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > I went out for a great ride Sunday. It was fairly warm, mid to upper 30's. I donned the
    > lightweight gear and some thermal tights and hit the trails with my SS.

    Darn Mr. Wheeler, next time there's a Patapsco trip, let us know ahead of time! I live just outside
    of Annapolis, and always have trouble finding good times to ride. Plus, I wasted a Sunday playing
    CounterStrike with about 7 guys I don't really know. I was thinking about my bike the whole time.

    How were the usually-heavily-traveled trails? I imagine most of them (Bull Run comes to mind) were
    hopelessly rutted and chewed up...of course, they were torn up in the middle of our drought-ridden
    summer, so I don't know why I expect to see any improvement now that they've been soaked.

    And for what it's worth, I also love Avid pads (RW2) in the slop. I was out for a real muddy wet
    ride last Sunday, and not one squeak was to be heard.

    Chris (let me know about MD rides...assuming my over-sprocketed 27-speed is allowed :)

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    ....No
    > squeal....very interesting.
    >
    > BTW the brakes felt a LOT smoother after I heated them up.
    >

    > Love those brakes, love that bike,
    >
    > Bill(No MTB Season)Wheeler

    Good ride Bill!

    Sounds to me like the brakes were just wet, and because of the cold, took a little longer to dry
    when used - I'm sure that's all. My hopes make a deep howl or even a deep growl when they are wet
    sometimes, the colder the wether, the worse the soundand the longer they make it, but it does go
    away pretty kwuickly.

    Shaun aRe - Discs rule, howl or no howl.

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > ....No
    > > squeal....very interesting.
    > >
    > > BTW the brakes felt a LOT smoother after I heated them up.
    > >

    > > Love those brakes, love that bike,
    > >
    > > Bill(No MTB Season)Wheeler
    >
    > Good ride Bill!
    >
    > Sounds to me like the brakes were just wet, and because of the cold, took
    > little longer to dry when used - I'm sure that's all. My hopes make a deep howl or even a deep
    > growl when they are wet sometimes, the colder the wether, the worse the soundand the longer they
    > make it, but it does go
    away
    > pretty kwuickly.
    >
    > Shaun aRe - Discs rule, howl or no howl.

    My Mini's have sounded like a "claranet section in a 6th grade orchestra tuning up" before
    when damp.

    Mike

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > ....No
    > > > squeal....very interesting.
    > > >
    > > > BTW the brakes felt a LOT smoother after I heated them up.
    > > >

    > > > Love those brakes, love that bike,
    > > >
    > > > Bill(No MTB Season)Wheeler
    > >
    > > Good ride Bill!
    > >
    > > Sounds to me like the brakes were just wet, and because of the cold,
    took
    > > little longer to dry when used - I'm sure that's all. My hopes make a
    deep
    > > howl or even a deep growl when they are wet sometimes, the colder the wether, the worse the
    > > soundand the longer they make it, but it does go
    > away
    > > pretty kwuickly.
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe - Discs rule, howl or no howl.
    > >

    > My Mini's have sounded like a "claranet section in a 6th grade orchestra tuning up" before
    > when damp.

    Mine hardly ever get a high pitch noise, unlike nearly all the disc using MTB club members I've
    ridden with - They nearly put me off getting discs, and when I ride with them, I try to get past as
    many as possible going down hills so that my eardrums don't explode. Helps with the fear of DH speed
    though I suppose......

    Shaun aRe - Grease the rotor - that should work.

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Shaun aRe - Grease the rotor - that should work.

    When my fork puked oil all over my front caliper it cured the squeal on mine.

    Mike - who needs brakes anyway! ;^)

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Shaun aRe - Grease the rotor - that should work.
    > >

    > When my fork puked oil all over my front caliper it cured the squeal on mine.
    >
    > Mike - who needs brakes anyway! ;^)

    People who have a brain to protect?

    ',;~}

    Shaun aRe -D(u)H!

  9. Alexn

    Alexn Guest

    > Trail Survey Report:
    >
    > A bunch of us got together for a trail survey of the Greenbelt Trail. To decide and see what work
    > needs to be done. Some of us hiked and some of us biked. Some minor trail maintenance was done and
    > a tree that had fallen across the trail was removed.
    >
    > Some pictures:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/khsgrl/survey.htm
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    Good job! Great photos too, looks like a good time. Sometimes I wish we had more local snow.
    Sometimes nearby Mt Diablo gets powdered but, nothing like that. Usually we'd have to go to Tahoe or
    the Sierra Nevada (or the foothills of it).

    Good stuff.

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    --

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 03:27:57 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Chris (let me know about MD rides...assuming my over-sprocketed 27-speed is allowed :)

    No prob Chris.

    :-]

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:21:23 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >....No
    >> squeal....very interesting.
    >>
    >> BTW the brakes felt a LOT smoother after I heated them up.
    >>

    >> Love those brakes, love that bike,
    >>
    >> Bill(No MTB Season)Wheeler
    >
    >Good ride Bill!
    >
    >Sounds to me like the brakes were just wet, and because of the cold, took a little longer to dry
    >when used - I'm sure that's all. My hopes make a deep howl or even a deep growl when they are wet
    >sometimes, the colder the wether, the worse the soundand the longer they make it, but it does go
    >away pretty kwuickly.
    >
    >Shaun aRe - Discs rule, howl or no howl.

    I hope you're right, it was a little annoying. Next time it happens if I can get my hands on some
    mud I hear that works as well. This has only happened twice since I've had the bike. That about 2
    out of 15 rides or so.

    Peace,

    :-]

  12. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:41:15 -0500, "AlexN" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nice RR. I'm surprised I didn't run into you out there. My buddy and I did that same loop and there
    >was only one set of tracks on the ridge trail, I'm assuming they were yours. It took us about 4
    >hours to do a 2 hour loop and we were totally wasted by the time we got finished. I could barely
    >muster the strength to bring a beer to my mouth. Ride on.
    >
    >Alex

    Could have been, I didn't see a lot of bikers. Actually saw more hikers. I wish I had a pair of
    x-country skis I saw some tracks back there. 4 hours is a long time in those conditions. Sounds like
    you had a good ride.

    Don't think the trails will be ridable next weekend I hear it is supposed to warm up and
    possibly rain.

    :-]

  13. Alexn

    Alexn Guest

    > On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:41:15 -0500, "AlexN" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Nice RR. I'm surprised I didn't run into you out there. My buddy and I
    did
    > >that same loop and there was only one set of tracks on the ridge trail,
    I'm
    > >assuming they were yours. It took us about 4 hours to do a 2 hour loop
    and
    > >we were totally wasted by the time we got finished. I could barely
    muster
    > >the strength to bring a beer to my mouth. Ride on.
    > >
    > >Alex
    > >
    > Could have been, I didn't see a lot of bikers. Actually saw more hikers. I wish I had a pair of
    > x-country skis I saw some tracks back there. 4 hours is a long time in those conditions. Sounds
    > like you had a good ride.
    >
    > Don't think the trails will be ridable next weekend I hear it is supposed to warm up and
    > possibly rain.

    Yeah, some of those XC tracks were mine. It was really great on Friday, untracked snow, cruising
    through the woods on pinners. Although those damn hikers and bikers were fuggin up our tracks!
    Here's some pictures if you care to take a look:
    http://www.angelfire.com/sports/snalex/bikepics/avalon/winterfun/index.htm

    See you on the trails...

    Alex

  14. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    >Yeah, some of those XC tracks were mine. It was really great on Friday, untracked snow, cruising
    >through the woods on pinners. Although those damn hikers and bikers were fuggin up our tracks!
    D'oh!

    >Here's some pictures if you care to take a look:
    >http://www.angelfire.com/sports/snalex/bikepics/avalon/winterfun/index.htm
    >
    >See you on the trails...
    >
    >Alex

    GREAT PICS! I'm getting some sticks damn it!

    I could only recognize the clearing that leads up the Morning Choice Trial it believe.

    :-]

  15. "AlexN" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:41:15 -0500, "AlexN" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > >Nice RR. I'm surprised I didn't run into you out there. My buddy and I
    > did
    > > >that same loop and there was only one set of tracks on the ridge trail,
    > I'm
    > > >assuming they were yours. It took us about 4 hours to do a 2 hour loop
    > and
    > > >we were totally wasted by the time we got finished. I could barely
    > muster
    > > >the strength to bring a beer to my mouth. Ride on.
    > > >
    > > >Alex
    > > >
    > > Could have been, I didn't see a lot of bikers. Actually saw more hikers. I wish I had a pair of
    > > x-country skis I saw some tracks back there. 4 hours is a long time in those conditions. Sounds
    > > like you had a good ride.
    > >
    > > Don't think the trails will be ridable next weekend I hear it is supposed to warm up and
    > > possibly rain.
    >
    > Yeah, some of those XC tracks were mine. It was really great on Friday, untracked snow, cruising
    > through the woods on pinners. Although those damn hikers and bikers were fuggin up our tracks!
    > Here's some pictures if you care to take a look:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/sports/snalex/bikepics/avalon/winterfun/index.htm
    >
    > See you on the trails...
    >
    > Alex

    Hey Alex: Where did you park when you skied. I've skied there many times but keep getting in trouble
    on the nite skiing. We used to ski into Ellicott city drink a few beers then ski back to the rt. 40
    entrance. They use to have a nice plowed area but the sign said no parking after dark...oops! Thus I
    got a ticket and a lecture. They said it was for my own good not be in the park at nite as a tree
    might fall on me. Do they plow the landing rd. parking areas?? Hey Bill remember me. I've had knee
    surgery last fall and haven't biked (mnt.) all wiinter. Been road biking to build up the knee. Once
    the ice clears I hope to ride there again. I have been commuting to work through the park & ride
    trail near UMBC. I ride the trail to the train station in Relay. I've got the sweetest commute
    going. Did you ever ride the "Nepal like" bridge on the Balto Co. side of the park. I wonder if it's
    still up? Later Charlie

  16. Alexn

    Alexn Guest

    "Charlie Murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message :

    > Hey Alex: Where did you park when you skied. I've skied there many times but keep getting in
    > trouble on the nite skiing. We used to ski into Ellicott city drink a few beers then ski back to
    > the rt. 40 entrance. They use to have a nice plowed area but the sign said no parking after
    > dark...oops! Thus I got a ticket and a lecture. They said it was for my own good not be in the
    > park at nite as a tree might fall on me. Do they plow the landing rd. parking areas?? Hey Bill
    > remember me. I've had knee surgery last fall and haven't biked (mnt.) all wiinter. Been road
    > biking to build up the knee. Once the ice clears I hope to ride there again. I have been commuting
    > to work through the park & ride trail near UMBC. I ride the trail to the train station in Relay.
    > I've got the sweetest commute going. Did you ever ride the "Nepal like" bridge on the Balto Co.
    > side of the park. I wonder if it's still up? Later Charlie

    I live fairly close to the trails, so I skied out my back door, which is nice. I'm not sure if
    they plow the Landing Rd. entrances, but you could park at Rockburn Branch Elementary school and
    then just cross Landing Rd. Although they might close that entrance at night. Or here's a good
    bet, park at the end of River Rd. off of Rt. 1, it's not all that close to the trails, but you
    won't get a ticket!

    Alex

  17. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    [snip]
    > Hey Bill remember me. I've had knee surgery last fall and haven't biked (mnt.) all wiinter.

    Sorry about the knee, still haven't rode that bridge. I hope you're not talking about the foot
    bridge that crosses the Patapsco, that has a sign that says get off your bike and walk...or
    something like that.

    Peace, bill

    :-]