RR: Some Altitude With Molly

Paladin

Guest
Isn't it great to see all these ride reports?

This will be brief, just to give you a taste of our ride. Terrain here is high desert single track
extending up into alpine above 6,000 feet.

I meet Alex and Molly at the park, we shuttle the bikes 3 miles up so we can do a fairly quick
higher-elevation ride. We would ride up 8th Street (similar to a fire-road), which is soft, steep
and monotonous, and if not for the 50-mile views, would be quite a drag.

So the 3 of us are booking it up to the top of Scott's trail, go to little ring half way up, then
even down to full granny on my 7-spd set up. Stop once for water. I've got my pack, so I'm fine, but
Alex and Molly are really slurping down the water bottles. A couple times Molly shoots out ahead,
and even goes off-trail.

Alex says she's great on the climbs, but slow and clumsy on the descents. We'll see. Get to Scott's
and stop, share a chocolate Power Bar. 3 miles of tough climbing, but we've still got some gas in
the tank, and wonder about some more. So up we go, get into the tree line, but still about 2 miles
short of the ridge road.

Breathing's a little funny now, but due to time and energy, we all turn around, and head back to
Scotts. Scott's is a beautiful *narrow* single-track that connects 8th Street with Corral's Trail.
So I take the lead, and I'm whipping that steel hardtail around like it's a feather, weight back,
IRC's biting in like mad dogs, it's all working like it was meant to.

Down Corral's, narrow washboard ruts, fast corners, cows on the trail, creek crossings, back to
his pickup.

Molly rides in the back. Molly the wonder-dog.

Paladin

On 3 Jun 2003 14:50:41 -0700, Paladin wrote:

> Molly rides in the back. Molly the wonder-dog.

Ah, well she's forgiven for going off-trail. Now you just need to teach her to take care of those
cows on the trail.

Nice RR!

Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Isn't it great to see all these ride reports?
>
> This will be brief, just to give you a taste of our ride. Terrain here is high desert single track
> extending up into alpine above 6,000 feet.
>
> I meet Alex and Molly at the park, we shuttle the bikes 3 miles up so we can do a fairly quick
> higher-elevation ride. We would ride up 8th Street (similar to a fire-road), which is soft, steep
> and monotonous, and if not for the 50-mile views, would be quite a drag.
>
> So the 3 of us are booking it up to the top of Scott's trail, go to little ring half way up, then
> even down to full granny on my 7-spd set up. Stop once for water. I've got my pack, so I'm fine,
> but Alex and Molly are really slurping down the water bottles. A couple times Molly shoots out
> ahead, and even goes off-trail.
>
> Alex says she's great on the climbs, but slow and clumsy on the descents. We'll see. Get to
> Scott's and stop, share a chocolate Power Bar. 3 miles of tough climbing, but we've still got some
> gas in the tank, and wonder about some more. So up we go, get into the tree line, but still about
> 2 miles short of the ridge road.
>
> Breathing's a little funny now, but due to time and energy, we all turn around, and head back to
> Scotts. Scott's is a beautiful *narrow* single-track that connects 8th Street with Corral's Trail.
> So I take the lead, and I'm whipping that steel hardtail around like it's a feather, weight back,
> IRC's biting in like mad dogs, it's all working like it was meant to.
>
> Down Corral's, narrow washboard ruts, fast corners, cows on the trail, creek crossings, back to
> his pickup.
>
> Molly rides in the back. Molly the wonder-dog.
>
> Paladin

You a dawg Paladin, a sly dawg, heheheheheh - nicely done! (And yes, I am only saying that because
you were kind to me......heheheheh!).

7sp steel rigid? WTF is that all about anyways?!?

Shaun aRe off to eat pies now......hhmmmmm, pies......grglrglrgllgllglrgl.............

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Isn't it great to see all these ride reports?
>
> Snip>
> Paladin

Kewl RR. I'll be taking String Bean out on tomorrows ride with the Crew. We had a rain yesterday so
should be some good mud stories tomorrow.

Cleanbean

news:<[email protected]>...
> Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Isn't it great to see all these ride reports?
> >
> > This will be brief, just to give you a taste of our ride. Terrain here is high desert single
> > track extending up into alpine above 6,000 feet.
> >
> > Paladin
>
> You a dawg Paladin, a sly dawg, heheheheheh - nicely done! (And yes, I am only saying that because
> you were kind to me......heheheheh!).
>

> 7sp steel rigid? WTF is that all about anyways?!?
>

> Shaun aRe off to eat pies now......hhmmmmm, pies......grglrglrgllgllglrgl.............

Jimminy Christmas but I'm gettin some mileage off that booster! Keep the cards & letters coming.

Re the 7spd, it's actually 21. We did a comparison with a new 27sp set up and found that when I'm in
my lowest combo, the typical 27speeder still has 3 lower gears to go! That's almost enough to get me
to convert. (When I want to prove to myself that I still hang a pair, I can always ride the SS.)

Paladin

> [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... <snip rr>
> > Molly rides in the back. Molly the wonder-dog.
>
> Sorry CDB, but there's only one Wonder Dog.
>
> JD

I showed her the video Gordon stars in, and she immediately started howling, whining and drooling in
love. If she couldn't have him, she'd have his name. At least that's what Molly said.....

Paladin

On 3 Jun 2003 14:50:41 -0700, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

>Isn't it great to see all these ride reports?
>
>This will be brief, just to give you a taste of our ride. Terrain here is high desert single track
>extending up into alpine above 6,000 feet.
>
>I meet Alex and Molly at the park, we shuttle the bikes 3 miles up so we can do a fairly quick
>higher-elevation ride. We would ride up 8th Street (similar to a fire-road), which is soft, steep
>and monotonous, and if not for the 50-mile views, would be quite a drag.
>
>So the 3 of us are booking it up to the top of Scott's trail, go to little ring half way up, then
>even down to full granny on my 7-spd set up. Stop once for water. I've got my pack, so I'm fine,
>but Alex and Molly are really slurping down the water bottles. A couple times Molly shoots out
>ahead, and even goes off-trail.
>
>Alex says she's great on the climbs, but slow and clumsy on the descents. We'll see. Get to Scott's
>and stop, share a chocolate Power Bar. 3 miles of tough climbing, but we've still got some gas in
>the tank, and wonder about some more. So up we go, get into the tree line, but still about 2 miles
>short of the ridge road.
>
>Breathing's a little funny now, but due to time and energy, we all turn around, and head back to
>Scotts. Scott's is a beautiful *narrow* single-track that connects 8th Street with Corral's Trail.
>So I take the lead, and I'm whipping that steel hardtail around like it's a feather, weight back,
>IRC's biting in like mad dogs, it's all working like it was meant to.
>
>Down Corral's, narrow washboard ruts, fast corners, cows on the trail, creek crossings, back to
>his pickup.
>
>Molly rides in the back. Molly the wonder-dog.
>
>Paladin

Nice, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
:-]

Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Isn't it great to see all these ride reports?
> > >
> > > This will be brief, just to give you a taste of our ride. Terrain here is high desert single
> > > track extending up into alpine above 6,000 feet.
> > >
> > > Paladin
> >
> > You a dawg Paladin, a sly dawg, heheheheheh - nicely done! (And yes, I
am
> > only saying that because you were kind to me......heheheheh!).
> >

> > 7sp steel rigid? WTF is that all about anyways?!?
> >

> > Shaun aRe off to eat pies now......hhmmmmm, pies......grglrglrgllgllglrgl.............
>
> Jimminy Christmas but I'm gettin some mileage off that booster! Keep the cards & letters coming.

Heheheheheh - No more, it's gotta stop! I'm bankrupt now - house is being reposessed, wife-to-be and
kid starving and in rags - I can hardly afford to keep myself fed on those pies - it's a sad state
of affairs......

Folks, before you 'generously' give a gift, think long and hard about what it is you may actually be
setting in motion........

> Re the 7spd, it's actually 21.

Yes, but I knew what you meant anyhow.....

> We did a comparison with a new 27sp set up and found that when I'm in my lowest combo, the typical
> 27speeder still has 3 lower gears to go! That's almost enough to get me to convert.

Do it! I'm working on an engineerineg project to build a 43 speed MTB - that baby's gonna fly!

> (When I want to prove to myself that I still hang a pair, I can always ride the SS.)
>
> Paladin

Huh - I just drop my shorts.

Shaun aRe

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > <snip rr>
> > > Molly rides in the back. Molly the wonder-dog.
> >
> > Sorry CDB, but there's only one Wonder Dog.
> >
> > JD
>
> That's true but it's not who you think. http://mattb.net/images/misc/capedog.gif

What an amazing, unretouched photo!

Bill "unretouched...now THAT's an interesting word" S.