RR: Spring Workout Ride

Bb

Guest
We finally had a few days without rain, so we headed out to the local fireroads for a Friday night
workout ride. This is Forest Park in Portland; far from technical but the north end has some pretty
steep stuff. And the scenery is nice.

We started about 2/3 of the way up this hill (from the valley below), and climbed up to here. We'd
soon be riding down to the river below (the Columbia). That's Mount St Helen's in the background.
There's a big freighter on the river, but its hard to make it out from here.

http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/fl15-view.jpg

Its a quick trip down the fireroad, through the dark woods.

http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/fl15-descent.jpg

A nice little creek along the way.

http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/fl15-creek.jpg

The is what happens to fireroads when only mountain bikes use them.

http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/newton_strack.jpg

More of Newton Road.

http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/newton_creek.jpg

"Sharing the trail"

http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/slug.jpg

After that its a grueling climb; its tough when its dry, and today it wasn't dry. Pictures simply
didn't do that part justice. This is the part that all the reviews on MTBR say to ride down. :)

Its amazing how out of shape one can get over the winter.

Nice.

--
My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

> We finally had a few days without rain, so we headed out to the local fireroads for a Friday night
> workout ride. This is Forest Park in Portland; far from technical but the north end has some
> pretty steep stuff. And the scenery is nice.
>
> We started about 2/3 of the way up this hill (from the valley below), and climbed up to here. We'd
> soon be riding down to the river below (the Columbia). That's Mount St Helen's in the background.
> There's a big freighter on the river, but its hard to make it out from here.
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/fl15-view.jpg

Couldn't you have waited for the guy to finish taking a leak? i mean really.

> Its a quick trip down the fireroad, through the dark woods.
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/fl15-descent.jpg

Looks similar to a local trail here, though a bit more moist.

> A nice little creek along the way.
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/fl15-creek.jpg
>
> The is what happens to fireroads when only mountain bikes use them.
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/newton_strack.jpg
>
> More of Newton Road.
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/newton_creek.jpg
>
> "Sharing the trail"
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/slug.jpg

I take it your camera doesn't have a close-up mode. interesting coloration though. every slug i have
seen is either a shade of orange all over, or tan all over.

> After that its a grueling climb; its tough when its dry, and today it wasn't dry. Pictures simply
> didn't do that part justice. This is the part that all the reviews on MTBR say to ride down. :)
>
> Its amazing how out of shape one can get over the winter.

I know the feeling. my upper legs seem to have returned after only two ride (with nice definition),
but the calves are a little slow to recover. i have been doing calve exercises to help speed their
return though (lifting from flat foot to full foot extension, while lifting my body. done with each
leg separately, 10 sets of 10. i'll toss on a weighted backpack when it gets too easy).

But as fast as my muscle tone returns, my endurance is just the opposite. when the Timberline is
complete it should help that out simply by being lighter.

I am seriously thinking of saving for a trainer stand for next winter. at least then i could hop on
for a hour or two a day. just enough to keep the machinery in working order.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

On Fri, 02 May 2003 21:51:47 -0700, BB wrote:

> We finally had a few days without rain, so we headed out to the local fireroads for a Friday night
> workout ride. This is Forest Park in Portland; far from technical but the north end has some
> pretty steep stuff. And the scenery is nice.

I haven't made it out there to ride yet. Need to put that on the list.

> "Sharing the trail"
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/slug.jpg

Oh, ick. The first time I saw one of those (we didn't have them back east) I thought it was a turd,
and thought "What kind of clod takes a dump in the middle of the trail?" Then it moved and I
realized it was a slug. I was happier with it as a turd, frankly.

gabrielle

On Sat, 03 May 2003 07:52:55 -0700, gabrielle wrote:

> I haven't made it out there to ride yet. Need to put that on the list.

Forest Park isn't a place that you'd want to drive from Hood River for. Its all fireroad (though
there are several miles of hiking-only that look nice). The fireroads are either very mild or very
steep; the very steep ones are north of Germantown Road. That's where we usually ride, though I
sometimes question the sanity of that. :)

BB wrote:
> On Sat, 03 May 2003 07:52:55 -0700, gabrielle wrote:
>>
>> I haven't made it out there to ride yet. Need to put that on the list.
>
> Forest Park isn't a place that you'd want to drive from Hood River for. Its all fireroad (though
> there are several miles of hiking-only that look nice). The fireroads are either very mild or very
> steep; the very steep ones are north of Germantown Road. That's where we usually ride, though I
> sometimes question the sanity of that. :)

you guys should hook up after work sometime.

Penny

On 3 May 2003 04:51:47 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

>We finally had a few days without rain, so we headed out to the local fireroads for a Friday night
>workout ride. This is Forest Park in Portland; far from technical but the north end has some pretty
>steep stuff. And the scenery is nice.
>
>We started about 2/3 of the way up this hill (from the valley below), and climbed up to here. We'd
>soon be riding down to the river below (the Columbia). That's Mount St Helen's in the background.
>There's a big freighter on the river, but its hard to make it out from here.
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/fl15-view.jpg
>
>Its a quick trip down the fireroad, through the dark woods.
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/fl15-descent.jpg
>
>A nice little creek along the way.
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/fl15-creek.jpg
>
>The is what happens to fireroads when only mountain bikes use them.
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/newton_strack.jpg
>
>More of Newton Road.
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/newton_creek.jpg
>
>"Sharing the trail"
>
> http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/slug.jpg
>
>After that its a grueling climb; its tough when its dry, and today it wasn't dry. Pictures simply
>didn't do that part justice. This is the part that all the reviews on MTBR say to ride down. :)
>
>Its amazing how out of shape one can get over the winter.

Nice RR, almost missed it.

:-]