RR: SS Herd

Mattb

Guest
I went out on a ride today on my SS with eight others on SS's (and three geared riders, two of whom
bailed out mid-ride). We rode a bunch of singletrack through Hartman Rocks to do the Aberdeen loop,
a ten mile great singletrack ascent/descent that is about 10 Miles in. Then we rode home (on some
more nice singletrack). 30 Miles and four hours of good times, but boy am I beat. This was a fast
group (couple of pros and other fast guys including my bro) and I got dropped several times. They
were all pretty cool and would periodically let me catch up. I took a few photos.

The gang at the top of the Aberdeen climb http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/ssGang1.jpg

Rick (friend & LBS owner) approaches on his IF Ti SS
http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/rick%20approaches.jpg

My brother approaching on his Karate Monkey http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/ash%20approaches.jpg

Kevin, a great rider, friend, and LBS wrench http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/kevin.jpg

--

Matt

"Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

MattB wrote:

> I went out on a ride today on my SS with eight others on SS's (and three geared riders, two of
> whom bailed out mid-ride).

So do 9 singlespeeds equal one normally geared bike? Never mind, I run the risk of derailing the
thread by asking...

> This was a fast group (couple of pros and other fast guys including my bro) and I got
> dropped several times. They were all pretty cool and would periodically let me catch up. I
> took a few photos.

Nice pics! Was it just me, or were some of those guys running with shortened bars? Some looked kinda
narrow. Maybe it was just me. The singletrack sure looked nice though. Flowing and fast I bet. I've
never experienced singletrack out in the wide open spaces like that, mostly all singletrack in the
woods, with small sections of clearings or meadows.

Thanks for the RR.

--
NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM" from my "Reply To:" address, or it will
be returned.

- Rog

> The gang at the top of the Aberdeen climb http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/ssGang1.jpg
>
> Rick (friend & LBS owner) approaches on his IF Ti SS
> http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/rick%20approaches.jpg
>
> My brother approaching on his Karate Monkey
> http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/ash%20approaches.jpg
>
> Kevin, a great rider, friend, and LBS wrench http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/kevin.jpg

Awesome photos Matt. Looks like you guys had a blast! Thanks for sharing.

Dave (thats what it's all about)

"Roger Buchanan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> MattB wrote:
> >
> > I went out on a ride today on my SS with eight others on SS's (and
three
> > geared riders, two of whom bailed out mid-ride).
>
> So do 9 singlespeeds equal one normally geared bike? Never mind, I run the risk of derailing the
> thread by asking...

Ba dum dum!

> > This was a fast group (couple of pros and other fast guys including my
bro)
> > and I got dropped several times. They were all pretty cool and would periodically let me catch
> > up. I took a few photos.
>
> Nice pics! Was it just me, or were some of those guys running with shortened bars? Some looked
> kinda narrow. Maybe it was just me. The singletrack sure looked nice though. Flowing and fast I
> bet. I've never experienced singletrack out in the wide open spaces like that, mostly all
> singletrack in the woods, with small sections of clearings or meadows.

Thanks. There was one 'cross bike in the group. That could be what you saw. I don't think anyone ran
particularly narrow MTB bars. A lot of SS riders keep them pretty wide for the leverage you get when
out of the saddle.

This is one of the most wide-open trails we have. The downhill (5 Miles of continous fast
singletrack) is great. You can see pretty well what lies ahead and really open it up. I'll give you
a tour if you ever come out this way. It's fun stuff.

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I went out on a ride today on my SS with eight others on SS's (and
three
> geared riders, two of whom bailed out mid-ride). We rode a bunch of singletrack through Hartman
> Rocks to do the Aberdeen loop, a ten mile great
singletrack
> ascent/descent that is about 10 Miles in. Then we rode home (on some more nice singletrack). 30
> Miles and four hours of good times, but boy am I
beat.
> This was a fast group (couple of pros and other fast guys including my
bro)
> and I got dropped several times. They were all pretty cool and would periodically let me catch up.
> I took a few photos.
>
> The gang at the top of the Aberdeen climb http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/ssGang1.jpg
>
> Rick (friend & LBS owner) approaches on his IF Ti SS
> http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/rick%20approaches.jpg
>
> My brother approaching on his Karate Monkey
> http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/ash%20approaches.jpg
>
> Kevin, a great rider, friend, and LBS wrench http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/kevin.jpg
>
> --
>
> Matt
>
> "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

Nice pix. I can't seem to get the riders I'm with to stop long enough for photos and I'm never far
enough in front to stop and get the camera out. Looked like is was a little on the chilly side what
with all the long sleeves......

Gary

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:09:00 -0700, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I went out on a ride today on my SS with eight others on SS's (and three geared riders, two of
> whom bailed out mid-ride). We rode a bunch of singletrack through Hartman Rocks to do the
> Aberdeen loop, a ten mile great singletrack ascent/descent that is about 10 Miles in. Then we
> rode home (on some more nice singletrack). 30 Miles and four hours of good times, but boy am I
> beat. This was a fast group (couple of pros and other fast guys including my bro) and I got
> dropped several times. They were all pretty cool and would periodically let me catch up. I took
> a few photos.
>
>The gang at the top of the Aberdeen climb http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/ssGang1.jpg
>
>Rick (friend & LBS owner) approaches on his IF Ti SS
>http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/rick%20approaches.jpg
>
>My brother approaching on his Karate Monkey http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/ash%20approaches.jpg
>
>Kevin, a great rider, friend, and LBS wrench http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/kevin.jpg

Ahhh, the dreaded group ride ;-)

Nice Pics, nice RR, Bill

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:09:00 -0700, "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I went out on a ride today on my SS with eight others on SS's (and three geared riders, two
> > of whom bailed out mid-ride). We rode a bunch of singletrack through Hartman Rocks to do the
> > Aberdeen loop, a ten mile great singletrack ascent/descent that is about 10 Miles in. Then we
> > rode home (on some more nice singletrack). 30 Miles and four hours of good times, but boy am
> > I beat. This was a fast group (couple of pros and other fast guys including my bro) and I got
> > dropped several times. They were all pretty cool and would periodically let me catch up. I
> > took a few photos.

> Ahhh, the dreaded group ride ;-)
>
> Nice Pics, nice RR, Bill

Yeah, but doesn't it look like a blast to be with so many kindred spirits at the same time? Way
to go, Matt.

We have a popular Singlespeed Sunday ride, but I miss it for taking the family to church. Otherwise,
the most SS'ers I've ever ridden with at one time was 2 others.

Paladin

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message <snip>

> > Ahhh, the dreaded group ride ;-)
> >
> > Nice Pics, nice RR, Bill

Thanks. I usually hate a big group ride as much as the next guy (maybe more). This was different.
Usually I hate them because the pace of the group is way too slow for me and I spend a lot of time
just waiting around or we chat too much. Well this time I was chasing these guys and they were
waiting around for me. It may have been irritating for them, but for me it was great (although
painful and humbling).

> Yeah, but doesn't it look like a blast to be with so many kindred spirits at the same time? Way to
> go, Matt.
>
> We have a popular Singlespeed Sunday ride, but I miss it for taking the family to church.
> Otherwise, the most SS'ers I've ever ridden with at one time was 2 others.

Growing up we always went to Saturday evening church so my parents could get their Sunday riding in
with their friends. Maybe you could do the same thing if it's available? If it were me, I know which
"church" I'd be attending, but maybe I'll burn for that one day...

Matt

> Paladin

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message <snip>
> > >
> > > Ahhh, the dreaded group ride ;-)
> > >
> > > Nice Pics, nice RR, Bill
> >

> Thanks. I usually hate a big group ride as much as the next guy (maybe more). This was different.
> Usually I hate them because the pace of the group is way too slow for me and I spend a lot of time
> just waiting around or we chat too much. Well this time I was chasing these guys and they were
> waiting around for me. It may have been irritating for them, but for me it was great (although
> painful and humbling).
>
> > Yeah, but doesn't it look like a blast to be with so many kindred spirits at the same time? Way
> > to go, Matt.
> >
> > We have a popular Singlespeed Sunday ride, but I miss it for taking the family to church.
> > Otherwise, the most SS'ers I've ever ridden with at one time was 2 others.
> >

> Growing up we always went to Saturday evening church so my parents could get their Sunday riding
> in with their friends. Maybe you could do the same thing if it's available? If it were me, I know
> which "church" I'd be attending, but maybe I'll burn for that one day...
>
> Matt
>
> > Paladin

The Saturday night deal would be good. Another thing during the summer is to go riding early, then
catch the 2nd service at 1030am. Sunday afternoon/evening rides are still good to go, like two
Sunday nts ago solo on the SS. Awesome. I love the current riding weather. Cold, clear, no barneys,
trails fairly empty.

Paladin

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I went out on a ride today on my SS with eight others on SS's (and three geared riders, two of
> whom bailed out mid-ride). We rode a bunch of singletrack through Hartman Rocks to do the Aberdeen
> loop, a ten mile great singletrack ascent/descent that is about 10 Miles in. Then we rode home (on
> some more nice singletrack). 30 Miles and four hours of good times, but boy am I beat. This was a
> fast group (couple of pros and other fast guys including my bro) and I got dropped several times.
> They were all pretty cool and would periodically let me catch up. I took a few photos.
>
> The gang at the top of the Aberdeen climb http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/ssGang1.jpg
>
> Rick (friend & LBS owner) approaches on his IF Ti SS
> http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/rick%20approaches.jpg
>
> My brother approaching on his Karate Monkey
> http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/ash%20approaches.jpg
>
> Kevin, a great rider, friend, and LBS wrench http://mattb.net/images/2003-11-02/kevin.jpg

Now that's narrow singletrack. It looks hardpacked and lightning fast. I noticed that quite a few of
those bikes are FUSSY compliant. Cool stuff.

JD