RR: SS rides again (finally)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Doug Taylor, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    My SS has been out of action all season due to rear wheel problem (axle snapped). Suffice it to say
    that I was too cheap to spring for a new wheel while I was waiting for the LBS to hassle with Spot
    on a warranty claim. After 3 months of wrangling, I ended up with Spot paying for a new Paul hub. Go
    figure. Hint: I made out like a bandit. I believe SS Hubs in descending order of quality go
    something like this: King, Wood, Paul, Surly, Spot. SS gods correct me if I'm wrong.

    So, yesterday was the maiden voyage of the season. Loved it. It is so light and snappy, and the
    rigid fork is so precise in the corners. Made all the climbs, cleaned all the technical; though arms
    got a bit shakey and fatigued on descents.

    Here's my take on my 3 bikes: 1) steed of choice: Superlight with riser bars and disc brakes. Though
    much heavier than the SS, equal handling ability, infinitely more comfortable for the long haul, and
    gears make up for weight on climbs; 2) Rigid SS with risers, v-brakes. Pure fun for days when the
    certian mood hits; the challenges and joy of riding one speed understood only by the initiated. Say
    no more. Discs would be nice, but why complicate simplicity? Forget a sus. fork; 3) Hard tail with
    flat bars and v-s. I'm too used to risers now on the other two bikes and just don't like the
    geometry and feel of the ht. Not to mention discs.

    I'll go for the extremes of the dualie and the SS; the middle ground is vanilla. Back to the dust
    heap in the rear of the garage for the ht.

    --
    -dt

    Tags:

  2. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:11:17 -0400, Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My SS has been out of action all season due to rear wheel problem (axle snapped). Suffice it to
    > say that I was too cheap to spring for a new wheel while I was waiting for the LBS to hassle with
    > Spot on a warranty claim. After 3 months of wrangling, I ended up with Spot paying for a new Paul
    > hub. Go figure. Hint: I made out like a bandit. I believe SS Hubs in descending order of quality
    > go something like this: King, Wood, Paul, Surly, Spot. SS gods correct me if I'm wrong.
    >
    > So, yesterday was the maiden voyage of the season. Loved it. It is so light and snappy, and the
    > rigid fork is so precise in the corners. Made all the climbs, cleaned all the technical; though
    > arms got a bit shakey and fatigued on descents.
    >
    > Here's my take on my 3 bikes: 1) steed of choice: Superlight with riser bars and disc brakes.
    > Though much heavier than the SS, equal handling ability, infinitely more comfortable for the long
    > haul, and gears make up for weight on climbs; 2) Rigid SS with risers, v-brakes. Pure fun for days
    > when the certian mood hits; the challenges and joy of riding one speed understood only by the
    > initiated. Say no more. Discs would be nice, but why complicate simplicity? Forget a sus. fork; 3)
    > Hard tail with flat bars and v-s. I'm too used to risers now on the other two bikes and just don't
    > like the geometry and feel of the ht. Not to mention discs.
    >
    > I'll go for the extremes of the dualie and the SS; the middle ground is vanilla. Back to the dust
    > heap in the rear of the garage for the ht.
    >

    > --
    > -dt

    Way to go Doug. I dusted of the 'ole SS today too. Didn't get as far as I wanted (or I would have a
    nice panoramic pic to post...I'll get up there soon).

    My Single has also been OOC. I let a friend borrow the rear wheel for a while after he blew up his.

    I've been thinking about a new bike for several months now, and after briefly considering a HT, I
    think I've come to the same conclusion you have. Do the Yin-Yang thing. Rigid SS and fully suspended
    bomber...give it all to me or nuthin'.

    I really like the SC Superlight, but I'm probably going to (eventually) opt for a Kona Bear (last
    year's model) or a Dawg. A little less expensive and beefier for my not-so-graceful self.

    Ride on! Gman

  3. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My SS has been out of action all season due to rear wheel problem (axle snapped). Suffice it to
    > say that I was too cheap to spring for a new wheel while I was waiting for the LBS to hassle with
    > Spot on a warranty claim. After 3 months of wrangling, I ended up with Spot paying for a new Paul
    > hub. Go figure. Hint: I made out like a bandit. I believe SS Hubs in descending order of quality
    > go something like this: King, Wood, Paul, Surly, Spot. SS gods correct me if I'm wrong.
    >
    > So, yesterday was the maiden voyage of the season. Loved it. It is so light and snappy, and the
    > rigid fork is so precise in the corners. Made all the climbs, cleaned all the technical; though
    > arms got a bit shakey and fatigued on descents.
    >
    > I'll go for the extremes of the dualie and the SS; the middle ground is vanilla. Back to the dust
    > heap in the rear of the garage for the ht.

    I share your joy, Doug. Getting out on those one-trick ponies has no equal in the mtb world. But I
    too, am thinking about scrapping my ht and getting a fairly long-travel double squish just for the
    more technical, longer rides, and for the fun of it.

    Paladin

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:11:17 -0400, "Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My SS has been out of action all season due to rear wheel problem (axle snapped). Suffice it to say
    >that I was too cheap to spring for a new wheel while I was waiting for the LBS to hassle with Spot
    >on a warranty claim. After 3 months of wrangling, I ended up with Spot paying for a new Paul hub.
    >Go figure. Hint: I made out like a bandit. I believe SS Hubs in descending order of quality go
    >something like this: King, Wood, Paul, Surly, Spot. SS gods correct me if I'm wrong.
    >
    >So, yesterday was the maiden voyage of the season. Loved it. It is so light and snappy, and the
    >rigid fork is so precise in the corners. Made all the climbs, cleaned all the technical; though
    >arms got a bit shakey and fatigued on descents.
    >
    >Here's my take on my 3 bikes: 1) steed of choice: Superlight with riser bars and disc brakes.
    >Though much heavier than the SS, equal handling ability, infinitely more comfortable for the long
    >haul, and gears make up for weight on climbs; 2) Rigid SS with risers, v-brakes. Pure fun for days
    >when the certian mood hits; the challenges and joy of riding one speed understood only by the
    >initiated. Say no more. Discs would be nice, but why complicate simplicity? Forget a sus. fork; 3)
    >Hard tail with flat bars and v-s. I'm too used to risers now on the other two bikes and just don't
    >like the geometry and feel of the ht. Not to mention discs.
    >
    >I'll go for the extremes of the dualie and the SS; the middle ground is vanilla. Back to the dust
    >heap in the rear of the garage for the ht.

    Nice RR, sound like I better replace my rear axle before it snaps. I've seen a few posts about the
    Spot alum. axle breaking. I've been hammering it lately, so this has been hanging in the back of my
    mind on every ride.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 30 Jun 2003 08:30:48 -0700, [email protected]west.net (Paladin) wrote:

    [snip]

    >I share your joy, Doug. Getting out on those one-trick ponies has no equal in the mtb world. But I
    >too, am thinking about scrapping my ht and getting a fairly long-travel double squish just for the
    >more technical, longer rides, and for the fun of it.
    >
    >Paladin

    You're "Selling Out"....Don't you hate when people say that?! What does it actually mean to "Sell
    Out"? <== rhetorical question.

    I'll never ride any MTB unless it is an SS.

    :-]