RR: Sunbury Fair Crits - 17/3 C-Grade

parawolf

Jan 16, 2006
Executive Summary:
WAHHHHHH! :(

Actual Report
About 22 people turned up for C-Grade for the crits at the Sunbury Fair on Saturday. Beautiful weather with a touch of a Southerly blowing on the course which made for some fun. 3 legs of the standard rectangle were climbs (if you call 1 - 1.5% climbs) and the last was downhill (-3.5%) as it turned onto the finish straight (climb).

It was an exciting course, the constant rise and fall was good for me. Started out bad though, I missed a clip in on my right shoe and fell immediately to the back of 22 people. Ah well, bide my time and make my way to the front. I put in some targeted efforts over the first 4 laps and was sitting pretty on the front or front 3 at times.

Feeling super strong (for me) this morning, I was stretching the field out on the stiffer of the 3 climbs at the back of the course, blasting them away on the downhill (love being 80kg compared to 65kg) and then actually doing some work into the wind.

Whistle lap came... WOOO intermediatry sprint lap. I was on the front, with one bloke behind me and a little distance to the rest. I let this guy take the front into the wind. Up the back straight I went past him - about 700metres to go - got the lead into the descent where I hammered it down the hill and got a solid line into the finish straight and went for it up the hill to the finish line... WOO! won it! Sprint lap cash for me! :)

Normally after such an effort i'd be feeling like my legs turned to concrete, but I was feeling great, we had put almost 100metres on the bunch and I was good to continue at the pre-sprint pace. So we paired up worked a bit and continued.

Next lap coming down the hill, I switched off a little to recovery gently, took a line through the bottom that I thought I had taken before but no....

I hit a bump I hadn't seen before... The rear of my bike went up into the air... it went right to the outside... and landed with a thud... then a bounce and rebound.

*GEEZUS* :eek:

Ah well kept riding... noises now coming from the rear... *fft* *ffft* *ffft* I look down into the rear triangle and sure enough i've buckled my rear wheel with that stunt.

Son of a *****! :mad:

I was feeling fantastic, I was in a breakaway that was working, I had taken intermediate sprint cash and I was out with a mechanical!

DAMNIT.

Averaging to that point 300watts on my random number generator...

Always next week eh?