RR: Sunny East Bay

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Cinder Girl, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    Been a long time since my last ride report. In the meantime I found a found a newbie who just needed
    a little inspiration.

    On his first ride I mentioned that he might want to learn to shift *before* the hills, or he would
    rip his derailleur off. Not 10 minutes later I was dodging flying parts and braking hard to avoid
    sliding into the guy. On the bright side, he was quite impressive with his repair skills. The
    derailleur was toast, but he split the chain with the help of a few tools and large rock, spliced it
    back together and rode out single speed.

    The newbie has improved a lot since his first ride and installed a new derailleur. I even managed to
    talk him into a helmet, but he flatly refused any "gay roadie" clothing. So we grabbed the trusty
    bike map and headed for Briones. It looked hilly on the map but what the hell? We have a bright,
    sunny Sunday and tons of enthusiasm. Just as we are getting parked, several fire trucks and a few
    police cars whiz by and start making their way up the fire road. Hmmmmm? We don't see any smoke or
    anything so it can't be a fire. We ask around .. turns out someone broke a leg mountain biking.
    Reminds us to be careful for the day.

    We have a slight uphill for a while . partner is doing fine but I'm fading out. Sunshine is not this
    Oakland resident's normal environment and the heat is really bothering me. We stop a minutes in the
    shade and I'm ready to climb. And climb and climb and climb. We pass the fire trucks and stop to
    watch them maneuver out (and get a rest!). They have a tough time getting turned around but they
    make it. I check the map . good news . the top is just around the next bend and we can downhill all
    the way back!

    We start pedaling. Its steep. We're tired but we make it to the next bend. There's a great downhill!
    Woooo hooooo. Then another bend . then a nice steep climb. Huh?!?! Map check! Oh <blushing> sorry,
    seems I read the map wrong . we do have another uphill section or two. I get a dirty look, but we go
    on. My partner takes off ahead of me and soon he yells back that there is a truck coming. I pull off
    and I see a ranger truck stop. I can hear him asking her about the trail (seems somebody doesn't
    trust their map reader, wonder why that could be?). She points out that we can turn around and go
    back, someone broke a leg already, its really steep, its far . are we sure?!?! Yes, we are sure, we
    keep climbing.

    At some point, my partner starts hike a biking. Its steep and the soil is loose . but I'm going to
    make it dammit! I'm pushing but I can't get traction. If I move up the back tire spins, if I move
    back, the front tire spins . I can't get the right position. Eventually something happens, I'm not
    too sure what, but I slip right off the bike and land on my butt. Hard. It hurts. After making sure
    I am okay, I get laughed at. Okay, I guess it was funny ;) Now I'm hike a biking.

    We finally make the top and check out some great views of Mt Diablo and the valleys. The downhill is
    a rush as always . though I do lose it and panic brake thru one section I manage to stay on the
    bike. We make the car and life is good.

    Stay tuned!

    ps: To the guy in the parking lot who yelled "Hey! Check out the chick with the cigarette!"

    : )~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 13:52:43 -0700, "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Been a long time since my last ride report. In the meantime I found a found a newbie who just
    >needed a little inspiration.
    >
    >On his first ride I mentioned that he might want to learn to shift *before* the hills, or he would
    >rip his derailleur off. Not 10 minutes later I was dodging flying parts and braking hard to avoid
    >sliding into the guy. On the bright side, he was quite impressive with his repair skills. The
    >derailleur was toast, but he split the chain with the help of a few tools and large rock, spliced
    >it back together and rode out single speed.

    Could have save himself some time if he went SS in the first friggin' place.

    Damn CG why didn't you tell him about the joys of SSing?

    [snip rest of RR]

    :-]

  3. "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > traction. If I move up the back tire spins, if I move back, the front
    tire
    > spins . I can't get the right position. Eventually something happens, I'm
    How do you do that, all wheel drive bike?

    > not too sure what, but I slip right off the bike and land on my butt.
    Hard.
    > It hurts. After making sure I am okay, I get laughed at. Okay, I guess
    it
    > was funny ;) Now I'm hike a biking.
    It is always funny till someone gets hurt :)

    > We finally make the top and check out some great views of Mt Diablo and
    the
    > valleys. The downhill is a rush as always . though I do lose it and panic brake thru one section I
    > manage to stay on the bike. We make the car and life is good.
    >
    > Stay tuned!
    >

    > ps: To the guy in the parking lot who yelled "Hey! Check out the chick
    with
    > the cigarette!"
    >
    > : )~~~~~~

    Nice RR CG. You are too young to be smoking, everyone is. That can't mke the climbs any easier.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  4. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 13:52:43 -0700, "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Been a long time since my last ride report. In the meantime I found a
    found
    > >a newbie who just needed a little inspiration.
    > >
    > >On his first ride I mentioned that he might want to learn to shift
    *before*
    > >the hills, or he would rip his derailleur off. Not 10 minutes later I
    was
    > >dodging flying parts and braking hard to avoid sliding into the guy. On
    the
    > >bright side, he was quite impressive with his repair skills. The
    derailleur
    > >was toast, but he split the chain with the help of a few tools and large rock, spliced it back
    > >together and rode out single speed.
    >
    > Could have save himself some time if he went SS in the first friggin' place.
    >
    > Damn CG why didn't you tell him about the joys of SSing?

    Go get your own newbie! This one will be trained according to MY evil plan.

    > [snip rest of RR]
    >
    > Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
    > mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Craig Brossman wrote:

    >>It hurts. After making sure I am okay, I get laughed at. Okay, I guess
    >
    > it
    >
    >>was funny ;) Now I'm hike a biking.
    >
    > It is always funny till someone gets hurt :)

    And then it's hilarious 8*p

    >>ps: To the guy in the parking lot who yelled "Hey! Check out the chick
    >
    > with
    >
    >>the cigarette!"
    >>
    >>: )~~~~~~
    >>

    > Nice RR CG. You are too young to be smoking, everyone is. That can't mke the climbs any easier.

    He's right. Giving up smoking means that now it's just the legs that scream :)

  6. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > Craig Brossman wrote:
    >
    > >>It hurts. After making sure I am okay, I get laughed at. Okay, I guess
    > >
    > > it
    > >
    > >>was funny ;) Now I'm hike a biking.
    > >
    > > It is always funny till someone gets hurt :)
    >
    > And then it's hilarious 8*p

    No really, it was pretty funny! Him: <sweet, concerned tone> Are you okay?
    Me: <stands up, brushes off butt> Yeah I'm fine Him: <still sweet> Are you sure? Your'e not hurt or
    anything are you?
    Mf: No really I'm fine. <starts walking bike> <pause> Him: Okay then. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    > >>ps: To the guy in the parking lot who yelled "Hey! Check out the chick
    > >
    > > with
    > >
    > >>the cigarette!"
    > >>
    > >>: )~~~~~~
    > >>

    > > Nice RR CG. You are too young to be smoking, everyone is. That can't
    mke
    > > the climbs any easier.
    >
    > He's right. Giving up smoking means that now it's just the legs that scream :)

    I know I know. Thanks guys.

  7. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    Bill Wheeler said...

    > Damn CG why didn't you tell him about the joys of SSing?

    An old BMX buddy of mine wants to start mountain biking. I tried to talk him into a SS, since I
    remember how he used to cuss and throw wrenches around when working on his bike. I thought a low
    maintenance SS would be more his style. But he acted like I was crazy for suggesting it. At
    least I tried.

  8. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:51:26 -0700, "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote:

    [nipsay]

    >Go get your own newbie! This one will be trained according to MY evil plan.

    Down gurrl, don't hurt the poor boy ;-)

    :-]

  9. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 19:17:29 GMT, SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler said...
    >
    >> Damn CG why didn't you tell him about the joys of SSing?
    >>

    >An old BMX buddy of mine wants to start mountain biking. I tried to talk him into a SS, since I
    >remember how he used to cuss and throw wrenches around when working on his bike. I thought a low
    >maintenance SS would be more his style. But he acted like I was crazy for suggesting it. At
    >least I tried.

    THANKS for trying!

    :-]