RR: the bike gods must think this is funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Technician

Great day out today. weather predicts chance of showers, but the sky is clear, and the sun is
bright. so i head out for a ride.

Everything performs excellent, including myself. i am in top form today, everything just comes
naturally. ahh, but this can't be right, it is too perfect. i ride on anyway.

3 miles out, i notice a bit of moisture falling. ahh, but this is not bad; just a light sprinkle. i
ride on, taking in the cool air from the light rain. and then it happens, the rain suddenly goes
from a light rain, to a downpour with visibility cut to about 6 feet with the mud and rain splashing
up onto my glasses. in a matter of moments, i am completely soaked. so i decide to call it quits. i
turn around and head back. at this moment, the rain doubles. not only am i getting splatter off the
wheels, but from the rain bouncing off the road itself. suddenly, i notice a scratchy feeling down
below, and it occurs to me that my rain soaked shirt has worked it's way up my back and under my
CamelBak, so the splatter from the rear wheel is now hitting my back, and running down under the
band of my shorts and down the crack of my ****. if this wasn't bad enough, i am being attacked from
the front with wheel splatter going up the legs of my shorts and attacking the nether region. on top
of this, i am still about 2.75 miles from my car.

But, then i focus on my riding only, and tune out the scratchy pain, and the fact i can't see very
far past my front wheel. i eventually make it back to my car with the realization that most of what
i rode was done in the big ring simply because at that point i didn't care, i just rode.

So i don't know what i did to offend the bike gods, but they really didn't like me today.
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

"Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> So i don't know what i did to offend the bike gods, but they really didn't like me today.

Eh, rain happens. I always carry a light shell just in case.

Maybe the gods just thought you needed a bath.

Matt (getting rained on while riding beats working all day)

MattB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
> > So i don't know what i did to offend the bike gods, but they really didn't like me today.
>
> Eh, rain happens. I always carry a light shell just in case.
>
> Maybe the gods just thought you needed a bath.
>
> Matt (getting rained on while riding beats working all day)
>
>
>

i didn't mind the rain. had it been just a light rain, i would have kept going. but when the
visibility goes down and i have sand where it should not be, then i mind. and a shell would have
done nothing to prevent either of those. i used to bring one, but i never used it in the rain anyway
so i leave it home.
--
~Travis

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:37:44 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip RR]

"bike god(S)" There's only one, 1, MV.

For shame, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:37:44 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip RR]
>
> "bike god(S)" There's only one, 1, MV.
>
> For shame, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is,
> the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]
>

there may only be one, but MV is not it. you are free to pray to whom ever you wish, but i will not
pray to the likes of MV.
--
~Travis

Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Great day out today. weather predicts chance of showers, but the sky is clear, and the sun is
> bright. so i head out for a ride.
>
> Everything performs excellent, including myself. i am in top form today, everything just comes
> naturally. ahh, but this can't be right, it is too perfect. i ride on anyway.
>
> 3 miles out, i notice a bit of moisture falling. ahh, but this is not bad; just a light sprinkle.
> i ride on, taking in the cool air from the light rain. and then it happens, the rain suddenly goes
> from a light rain, to a downpour with visibility cut to about 6 feet with the mud and rain
> splashing up onto my glasses. in a matter of moments, i am completely soaked. so i decide to call
> it quits. i turn around and head back. at this moment, the rain doubles. not only am i getting
> splatter off the wheels, but from the rain bouncing off the road itself. suddenly, i notice a
> scratchy feeling down below, and it occurs to me that my rain soaked shirt has worked it's way up
> my back and under my CamelBak, so the splatter from the rear wheel is now hitting my back, and
> running down under the band of my shorts and down the crack of my ****. if this wasn't bad enough,
> i am being attacked from the front with wheel splatter going up the legs of my shorts and
> attacking the nether region. on top of this, i am still about 2.75 miles from my car.
>
> But, then i focus on my riding only, and tune out the scratchy pain, and the fact i can't see very
> far past my front wheel. i eventually make it back to my car with the realization that most of
> what i rode was done in the big ring simply because at that point i didn't care, i just rode.
>
> So i don't know what i did to offend the bike gods, but they really didn't like me today.
> --
> ~Travis

Rode 7.5 miles in weather like that on the last club ride, after riding 10 miles of mostly uphill
before hand. With a heavy hangover. And a chest recovering from the previous night's tobacco abuse.
The rain was coming down so hard, we couldn't see more than a bike length in front of us. I thought
about going slower on some of the rocky, muddy, extremely slippery descents, but decided to increase
the speed of my reactions instead.

Shaun aRe don't see what all the fuss is about.

"Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> > On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:37:44 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > [snip RR]
> >
> > "bike god(S)" There's only one, 1, MV.
> >
> > For shame, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is,
> > the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> > :-]
> >
>
> there may only be one, but MV is not it. you are free to pray to whom ever you wish, but i will
> not pray to the likes of MV.

That's what SS'ing will do to you.

--
If I crashed into a tree and nobody was around to hear me scream, did I really make a sound?

Cameron

One rain I didn't mind. Stepping out the back door of work with bike in hand its pouring cat and
dogs. Cooling rain to ride home in on a hot day.

Fire up MTB 03

Status
Not open for further replies.