Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR - The four quid singlespeed gets dirty

Started by Andy Chequer · · Last activity · 2 posts · 710 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
22 January 2004
Last activity
23 January 2004
Original author
Andy Chequer
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
710
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We tested it (See other post) out last night with a night ride across
    Bristol to Leigh woods. I give the Saracen to Rob to ride for a bit for
    three reasons:

    1) I wanted to see if it broke and Rob's fond enough of a challenge to fall for it
    2) I thought that riding it 5 miles on tarmac with a 2:1 would be tedious
    3) Rob's an awful lot fitter than I am.

    To answer these one by one, we have

    4) No it didn't. The transmission was the bit I was worried about and it took what we gave it
    happily. The suntour mech has a fiesty spring.
    5) I rode it to work today and it is very tedious.
    6) Rob still got across the city before I did.

    I found the SS to be very good where the trails are twisty rather than particularly up or down.
    Random grindy transmission noises familiar to those who ride the UK in winter are totally gone and
    you can really get on with the business of getting you and the bike scuttling along at a good clip.
    chainsuck? piffle! mech slap? pah!

    The old Saracen and the Q21 are well suited, both to each other and to the SS idea; I've always
    loved the manners of the frame (if not its durability - couple o crack repairs over the years!!).
    The Quadra is very simple, takes the sting out of bumps while being much stiffer than its
    overextended Indy descendants.

    All in all, I like it. It cost me four quid and it works well. For twisty singletrack, it might just
    be the daddy. A mountain biking panacea? as long as there are really steep climbs and long, fast
    downhills, I doubt it, even if I'd spent twice as much.

    Andy Chequer

  2. On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:14:16 -0000, "Andy Chequer"

    andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com said:

    We tested it (See other post) out last night with a night ride across Bristol to Leigh woods. I
    give the Saracen to Rob to ride for a bit for three reasons:

    1) I wanted to see if it broke and Rob's fond enough of a challenge to fall for it
    2) I thought that riding it 5 miles on tarmac with a 2:1 would be tedious
    3) Rob's an awful lot fitter than I am.

    To answer these one by one, we have

    1) No it didn't. The transmission was the bit I was worried about and it took what we gave it
    happily. The suntour mech has a fiesty spring.
    2) I rode it to work today and it is very tedious.
    3) Rob still got across the city before I did.

    I found the SS to be very good where the trails are twisty rather than particularly up or down.
    Random grindy transmission noises familiar to those who ride the UK in winter are totally gone and
    you can really get on with the business of getting you and the bike scuttling along at a good clip.
    chainsuck? piffle! mech slap? pah!

    The old Saracen and the Q21 are well suited, both to each other and to the SS idea; I've always
    loved the manners of the frame (if not its durability - couple o crack repairs over the years!!).
    The Quadra is very simple, takes the sting out of bumps while being much stiffer than its
    overextended Indy descendants.

    All in all, I like it. It cost me four quid and it works well. For twisty singletrack, it might
    just be the daddy. A mountain biking panacea? as long as there are really steep climbs and long,
    fast downhills, I doubt it, even if I'd spent twice as much.

    Andy Chequer


    nice start, bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all
    and on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.