(RR)The Lucius Birch Natural Area at Shelby Farms

Mpd Blue

Guest
Just got back from a GREAT ride with a fellow A.M-B member "qa2".

We met over at the Agri-Center and he showed me around the "other" side of Shelby Farms. To be
honest I had no idea where we went or what rails we were on because it was at night and I quickly
lost my sense of direction but it was some SWEET riding.

from the outset my Night Rider didn't work at all. The battery was stone-cold dead from sitting for
3 months, and I hadn't thought to pull the _bright_ lights off my Beer'Cross so I rode on just my 35
Watt helmet light, which gave plenty of light anyway.

qa2 led me through some really buff single track only fouled by a few tire-sucking mud-pits the
occasional pedal-clipping outcropping a few "low bridges" and one rather nasty scrotum-meet-stem
incident. really some fun riding, not technical like N.E. riding, , no rock gardens, etc. but really
fun none-the-less

Long about the 7 mile (1.5 hour) mark the battery on my helmet light died (I knew I should have
topped it off before the ride ;-) so I borrowed his bar light, and we finished in short order, save
for getting sucked into a rut in a field and doing a pretty spectacular endo.

The 32:17 gearing was perfect and I only had to dismount and walk twice the entire ride due to not
having enough momentum to make the hill. Sadly my tires were choking with that sticky Wolf River mud
pretty badly. I think next time I'll run the 2.3 WTB MotoRaptors instead of the
1.9 Serrac XC's.

I must admit I'm really disappointed that I never explored this half of the park a LONG time ago.
The single track over there is tight and twist and really nice. I WILL be back! especially in the
day-light so I c an figure out exactly where we were ;-)

and thanks again to qa2 for being an excellent tour guide and helping me out when my light died.

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

No problem. The ride Monday night is canceled because of the rain. I will call you later this week
when we go out again.