RR: The Perfect Day

Ride-A-Lot

Guest
A JAR tradition is to have a New Years Day hangover ride.
Traditionally, this is held at Brandywine State Park in Delaware.
Normally, January on the east coast brings subfreezing temperatures.
This year mother nature has been warming things in the days prior to
January 1. This problem brings the freeze/thaw cycle to the trails.
Brandywine's clay loam gets soggy and messy because of this. So, rather
than contribute to the destruction of a good trail system, the ride was
moved to Brendan Byrne State Forest (the Pine Barrens) in New Jersey.
These trails actually get better when wet. The other surprise for today
was the weather. How about 60+ degrees with bright blue sunshiny skies
on January 1? Many of us actually rode in shorts and short sleeves!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0314.jpg

We had a very good turnout for the ride and the ten of us headed out at
10 AM, hangovers or not!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0316.jpg

The singletrack was nice and fast this morning and we quickly praised
ourselves for making the decision to change venues. We never give these
trails the credit they deserve.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0319.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0320.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0321.jpg

We took some time for a mini skills clinic. Joe showed us how to clear
larger log piles without using the chainring.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0323.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0324.jpg

Some more ST and I don't see a sign, do you?

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0327.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0328.jpg

Since this is a hangover ride, it would only seem fitting to have some
vomit. Nobody was giving some up so we'll have to settle for Joe doing
a nose blow.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0329.jpg

We finish the "pink" trail and head onto the Mount Misery loop. It's a
pretty stupid name becuase there is no mountain and the only misery was
me falling into the smelliest boggy mud ever! Not only does the warm
weather bring out the hikers (there were many), but the MX riders had
come out for the day too. They were tearing up the place really bad,
too. Add to that the new fire breaks that were cut across the Mount
Misery trail. It turned the normal hardpack into a sandy mess.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0331.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0332.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0333.jpg

The cranberry bogs were especially beautiful today.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0340.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0341.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/public/images_upload/DSCF0344.jpg

At this point we head to the park office to find a quick and short way
back to the car. Having already done 23 miles and some people starting
to feel the effects of no lunch, we roadie it back for a total of 25 miles.

It was a fantastic ride made even better by the weather and the comraderie!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

> At this point we head to the park office to find a quick and short way
> back to the car. Having already done 23 miles and some people starting to
> feel the effects of no lunch, we roadie it back for a total of 25 miles.
>
> It was a fantastic ride made even better by the weather and the
> comraderie!
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

*******.....

It's pissing rain/snow here, can't even walk the dog without getting
sloppy...

Nice ride I see you had hangover. The only
riding I got in was to and from work. Better luck today Sunday
no work day. Fun fun after the rug rats go to their parents and the wife
goes to work.

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How about 60+ degrees with bright blue sunshiny skies on January 1? Many
> of us actually rode in shorts and short sleeves!

The weather was just as good a few miles away in Delaware also. Friday some
trails here at White Clay Creek were a tad wet, requiring staying on the
south-facing slopes and using some of the gravel 2-track. Quite a few
hikers out that required some yielding, but most hikers stepped off the
trail well before I approached them.

Saturday was 66 degrees and it was amazing how deserted trails were. I
suppose a lot of people were watching football all day. After the breezes,
sunshine, and warmth of the last two days the trails were now in good shape.
In 15 miles of riding I really only had to hop off a few times and for only
short distances to avoid muddy spots.

Found a new loop with some slightly technical riding (most of the stuff at
WCC is easy single track), saw a lot of wildlife (deer, hawks, fox, pileated
woodpeckers - but no mountain lion).

It was just a gorgeous day cruising downhill on the single track, bright
blue sky overhead, being able to see all through the wooods, with the bike
rolling over the humps and hummocks of the trail.

Just a super two days and 40 miles of riding. My ass was just too sore to
head out again Sunday morning....Delaware basically sucks, but the mountain
biking is OK !
I just can't believe I waited until this year to finally join the dark side.

> It was a fantastic ride made even better by the weather and the
> comraderie!

Second that, except for the last part - I rode alone both days, so no pics
;-)

TS

troutboy wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>How about 60+ degrees with bright blue sunshiny skies on January 1? Many
>>of us actually rode in shorts and short sleeves!

> The weather was just as good a few miles away in Delaware also. Friday some
> trails here at White Clay Creek were a tad wet, requiring staying on the
> south-facing slopes and using some of the gravel 2-track. Quite a few
> hikers out that required some yielding, but most hikers stepped off the
> trail well before I approached them.
>
> Saturday was 66 degrees and it was amazing how deserted trails were. I
> suppose a lot of people were watching football all day. After the breezes,
> sunshine, and warmth of the last two days the trails were now in good shape.
> In 15 miles of riding I really only had to hop off a few times and for only
> short distances to avoid muddy spots.
>
> Found a new loop with some slightly technical riding (most of the stuff at
> WCC is easy single track), saw a lot of wildlife (deer, hawks, fox, pileated
> woodpeckers - but no mountain lion).
>
> It was just a gorgeous day cruising downhill on the single track, bright
> blue sky overhead, being able to see all through the wooods, with the bike
> rolling over the humps and hummocks of the trail.
>
> Just a super two days and 40 miles of riding. My ass was just too sore to
> head out again Sunday morning....Delaware basically sucks, but the mountain
> biking is OK !
> I just can't believe I waited until this year to finally join the dark side.
>

>>It was a fantastic ride made even better by the weather and the
>>comraderie!

> Second that, except for the last part - I rode alone both days, so no pics
> ;-)
>
> TS

We were supposed to ride at Brandywine, DE but I called the ranger
station on Friday and they said they were even asking the horsies to
stay away. I was at WC two weeks ago and it was like glue. The
freeze/thaw sucks. Mother nature better pick one (cold or hot).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

> We were supposed to ride at Brandywine, DE but I called the ranger
> station on Friday and they said they were even asking the horsies to stay
> away. I was at WC two weeks ago and it was like glue. The freeze/thaw
> sucks. Mother nature better pick one (cold or hot).

Friday required some care and more gravel riding than trail, but the strong
breeze and warm temps really dried things out by midday Saturday.

Hey, how about a tour of BB SF sometime ???? I'll trade a WCC/Middle Run
tour.

TS

troutboy wrote:
>>We were supposed to ride at Brandywine, DE but I called the ranger
>>station on Friday and they said they were even asking the horsies to stay
>>away. I was at WC two weeks ago and it was like glue. The freeze/thaw
>>sucks. Mother nature better pick one (cold or hot).

> Friday required some care and more gravel riding than trail, but the strong
> breeze and warm temps really dried things out by midday Saturday.
>
> Hey, how about a tour of BB SF sometime ???? I'll trade a WCC/Middle Run
> tour.
>
> TS

Our club rides WC/MR quite often, so a tour is not necessary. You're
welcome to join us on those rides anyway. Maybe you know some secret paths.

I'd be happy to show you the Pines. This is the best time of year for
it, too. In the warmer months it gets a bit sandy and the chiggers come
out to play. We also do a Friday night ride there once a month. It
makes it a bit more challenging because it is flat.

Let me know when you'd like to tour the park and I'll set up a group ride.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws