RR: The real true a.m-b UK meet truth (not like that other one...) (Oh, it's a bit long, prolly...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shaun Rimmer

Heh, yeah - I had the same waking up thing as Huw, with me wondering why the hell I'd set my alarm
for a Sunday morning...took me a few minutes to remember.

Well, Paul picked me and all my gear up, and I waved goodbye to the gorgeous Kath, who'd made some
wicked sarnies for me to take (blue cheese, salami, red chile!), then we met up with Howard, who had
a very loud car that looked and sounded like it should be *really* fast, and probably was. It could
blow smoke rings that car. It probably even talked to the driver.....

We drove, we saw a big queue of sheep, nose to tail on a hillside. We knew we were crossing back and
forth between Englandia and Wales. The road signs in Wales have more than twice the amount of
writing on them that the ones in England (WTF is a 'Wrecsam'?!?!?!?).

We were there, on the carpark, at Nantmawr, pre-freaking-cisely on time, to the millisecond). There
were lots of guys stood around their bikes, discussing how they could possibly all have lost there
engines at the same time. We laughed and pointed and stared, even at the big shaven headed scary guy
that was growling.

We waited, and Jon (Bomba) pulled up and said 'Hi' and stuff like that. I noted that the internet
puts a good six inches of height on him. No sign of the others yet, so I sent a text wittily
asking 'where are Huw'? and received no reply. We decided after a while, to go and sign in/pay
etc. We noted that already on the sign in form, was a 'Huw Pritchard', could it be there were two?
No, he'd been parked only a car away for a while, but hadn't noticed us, what, none of us being
white and fluffy.

Andy and friends turned up, then we all got introduced. Andy is very really quite strange in real
life, I felt very comfortable with that, and was thankful. He is clever too, and does a nice line
in grinning.

I was very glad Huw was not a big muscle head guy, so I didn't have to retract all the evil things
I'd said about Welshmen.

We started putting the bikes together and kicking tyres and stuff, and a couple of people took
photo's of my front wheel, for what, I dunno - seems weird peeps exist outside of Blackburn or the
intynet. Then, quite suddenly and without forewarning, we all jollylyly set off for the quarry.
There were jumps in the quarry. Bomba, our resident BMXpert for the day, said they were ****. I took
a shot at them all, and got wicked heuge rad air, which upset the 'mask-ed ones' greatly, so, they
just stood around muttering.

We found a hill, and went up it. I had to wait for ages for everyone to catch up. Howard had busted
a link, and was last up, muttering about heavy bikes, riders, and 9 speed chains. We stayed at the
top of the hill until he fixed it, and until everyone else had got their wind back, then we rode
down the other side of the hill. This turned out to be the DH course. Although I'd never ridden a DH
course before, I quickly took the lead, leaving desolation and destruction in my wake, before
hitting the DS section. Berms are easy. Chicks dig guys that find berms easy. There were no chicks.

After waiting at the bottom of the hill for what seemed an age, the rest came down, at about 3 mph -
it was saddening, and I felt quite embarrassed being counted one of their number. We went back up a
hill, and found a really neat farmers yard. We ogled the pile of exhaust pipes, a DH micro scooter,
and racing sidecar, then turned back. We did some climbing and other pedalling related stuff, then
hit the road. Despite the 36-ish pound weight of my BASE and it's super fat tyre's rolling
resistance, I again found myself at the front and waiting, apart from when I hung back for a
friendly chat with the fun Chequer guy.

After a bit, we slowed to let a female horse rider pass, but she turned around and went back into
the field, then turned the horse to face us. She was wearing a huge smile, and I thought it was 'cos
she was really happy to see a bunch of muddy mountain bikers, until I noticed the mysterious absence
of the appearance of a pommel on her saddle..... each to their own, I guess.....

We went down more road, then up a bit, and back into the Nantmawr carpark entrance, where we
refuelled and did more tyre kicking and stuff, while the others, who were looking fatigued, rested.
I decided Bomba talked funny for a German guy. We played around some more on the DS course, then
quarry, then hill, (in some order or other) then I rode up that big slope the Huw mentioned. It was
easy, even despite the fact I was dragging my feet on the ground all the way up (like in the
picture). We had a go down the last bit of the DH course, where Rob decided to leave wheels out of
the equation, and try bouncing on his helmet for a while as an alternative style. I missed this,
because I was at the bottom of the section waiting for everyone, yet _again_....

After a while and some more idle chit-chat, some of the guys went back up a hill and stuff, but Paul
and me went to catch some more wicked heuge rad air on the jumps. Me and my BASE are owed some
serious frequent flyer miles, errmm 'dude'. Red Bull gives you wings!

At some point we washed our bikes......

We were back with the cars and packing up, when some idiot started shouting 'Puuub!!! Puuuubb!
PUUUUUBB!!!!' over and over again. Oh, at one point, the Chequer expressed how he thought the a.m-b
headbands were just a joke, and didn't actually exist. I was happy to clear that up for him. He said
mine looked lovely (Thanks John G! ',;~} ).

We got to a pub, and had beer. Everybody ate stuff except me - I hadn't used any energy, so didn't
need food. There was a calendar in the gents loo with half naked women on it, and the hand dryer
didn't work. We laughed and smiled and chatted, and I held everybody in thrall with my tales of past
heroic adventures, and sharp witty turn of phrase. The Chequer made us laugh with his strangeness
and cleverness too. Bomba talked about fish and chips, and pies were mentioned several times by a
few of us. The guys that had taken photos all said they'd have to photo shop the ones with me in, to
make me less strikingly handsome, because it wasn't fair. I notice from the photos in Huw's report,
that they were quite successful with this.

We left the pub and said our goodbyes, vowing to 'do this again sometime!'. The guys were all really
good guys, and we seemed to have much fun, I know I did!

Shaun aRe - This is the really true RR for the yesterday-day.

P.s. - You guys are all ace to hang with! ',;~}

P.P. - Spademan, WTF?!? Heheheheheh......

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:49:11 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

> Well, Paul picked me and all my gear up, and I waved goodbye to the gorgeous Kath, who'd made some
> wicked sarnies for me to take (blue cheese, salami, red chile!),

Has anyone ever managed to get Shaun to shut up about chili? FFS, the man has enthralled us with the
fact that he owns chili shaped christmas tree lights.

> We drove, we saw a big queue of sheep, nose to tail on a hillside. We knew we were crossing back
> and forth between Englandia and Wales. The road signs in Wales have more than twice the amount of
> writing on them that the ones in England (WTF is a 'Wrecsam'?!?!?!?).

I found the placenames around there equally amusing. Much Wenlock? You English sure have some
weird ideas.

> We were there, on the carpark, at Nantmawr, pre-freaking-cisely on time, to the millisecond).
> There were lots of guys stood around their bikes, discussing how they could possibly all have lost
> there engines at the same time. We laughed and pointed and stared, even at the big shaven headed
> scary guy that was growling.

He was a bit scary that one. I don't think he actually left the car park at any point. He was there
when we were getting our stuff together, and he was there when we came back to refuel, and I'm
pretty sure he was still there when we were packing up.

> We waited, and Jon (Bomba) pulled up and said 'Hi' and stuff like that. I noted that the internet
> puts a good six inches of height on him. No sign of the others yet, so I sent a text wittily
> asking 'where are Huw'? and received no reply. We decided after a while, to go and sign in/pay
> etc. We noted that already on the sign in form, was a 'Huw Pritchard', could it be there were two?
> No, he'd been parked only a car away for a while, but hadn't noticed us, what, none of us being
> white and fluffy.

I did reply, it's just that Orange text messaging appears to be fubared at the moment. Expect it to
arrive in a few days with just the word "Nantmawr" in it.

> Chicks dig guys that find berms easy. There were no chicks.

Yeah, what was that all about? I was hoping that someone would decide that they preferred my pert
toned XC backside in my lycra as opposed to the doofuses wearing baggy stuff. No women at all. Apart
from that one walking the dog and the horse rider.

> We were back with the cars and packing up, when some idiot started shouting 'Puuub!!! Puuuubb!
> PUUUUUBB!!!!' over and over again. Oh, at one point, the Chequer expressed how he thought the
> a.m-b headbands were just a joke, and didn't actually exist. I was happy to clear that up for him.
> He said mine looked lovely (Thanks John G! ',;~} ).

Weren't most people shouting 'Puuub!!'?

> We left the pub and said our goodbyes, vowing to 'do this again sometime!'. The guys were all
> really good guys, and we seemed to have much fun, I know I did!

Yeah, we must do it again at some point, but I think we'll ignore anything that Spademan says about
where to go ;-)

--
Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:49:11 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:
>
> > Well, Paul picked me and all my gear up, and I waved goodbye to the
gorgeous
> > Kath, who'd made some wicked sarnies for me to take (blue cheese,
salami,
> > red chile!),
>
> Has anyone ever managed to get Shaun to shut up about chili?

No, and the wise have long since ceased in the trying.

> FFS, the man has enthralled us with the fact that he owns chili shaped christmas tree lights.

Thanks for the backup Huw.

> > We drove, we saw a big queue of sheep, nose to tail on a hillside. We
knew
> > we were crossing back and forth between Englandia and Wales. The road
signs
> > in Wales have more than twice the amount of writing on them that the
ones in
> > England (WTF is a 'Wrecsam'?!?!?!?).
>
> I found the placenames around there equally amusing. Much Wenlock? You English sure have some
> weird ideas.

Aye, but that was brderland, and the weirdness was caused by Welshness seepage.

> > We were there, on the carpark, at Nantmawr, pre-freaking-cisely on time,
to
> > the millisecond). There were lots of guys stood around their bikes, discussing how they could
> > possibly all have lost there engines at the
same
> > time. We laughed and pointed and stared, even at the big shaven headed
scary
> > guy that was growling.
>
> He was a bit scary that one. I don't think he actually left the car park at any point. He was
> there when we were getting our stuff together, and he was there when we came back to refuel, and
> I'm pretty sure he was still there when we were packing up.

Yes, scary - I think he was the reason for the weirdness that dobermanesque dawgy was
being so weird.

> > We waited, and Jon (Bomba) pulled up and said 'Hi' and stuff like that.
I
> > noted that the internet puts a good six inches of height on him. No sign
of
> > the others yet, so I sent a text wittily asking 'where are Huw'? and received no reply. We
> > decided after a while, to go and sign in/pay etc.
We
> > noted that already on the sign in form, was a 'Huw Pritchard', could it
be
> > there were two? No, he'd been parked only a car away for a while, but
hadn't
> > noticed us, what, none of us being white and fluffy.
>
> I did reply, it's just that Orange text messaging appears to be fubared at the moment. Expect it
> to arrive in a few days with just the word "Nantmawr" in it.

It's OK Huw, I believe you - I don't think for one minute that you are incompetent with mobile phone
technology due to your Welshness, which was noticeably slight, by the way....

> > Chicks dig guys that find berms easy. There were no chicks.
>
> Yeah, what was that all about? I was hoping that someone would decide that they preferred my pert
> toned XC backside in my lycra as opposed to the doofuses wearing baggy stuff. No women at all.
> Apart from that one walking the dog and the horse rider.

Yeah! I'd forgotten about the Xxtreem terrior walker! WTF was she thinking, walking the bugger up
the DS/DH course?!?!?

> > We were back with the cars and packing up, when some idiot started
shouting
> > 'Puuub!!! Puuuubb! PUUUUUBB!!!!' over and over again. Oh, at one point,
the
> > Chequer expressed how he thought the a.m-b headbands were just a joke,
and
> > didn't actually exist. I was happy to clear that up for him. He said
mine
> > looked lovely (Thanks John G! ',;~} ).
>
> Weren't most people shouting 'Puuub!!'?

Ah, that'd be it then!

> > We left the pub and said our goodbyes, vowing to 'do this again
sometime!'.
> > The guys were all really good guys, and we seemed to have much fun, I
know I
> > did!

> Yeah, we must do it again at some point, but I think we'll ignore anything that Spademan says
> about where to go ;-)

Heheheh - you mean 'Spaceman'? ',;~}

He E-mailed me this morning saying soz for the recommendation, and asking if anyone tried the drop
in chute to the quarry from the top of the ****-hill.....someone shoulda photo'd that....

Cheers Huw!

Shaun aRe - BTW - got a doc's appointment tonight re: the back thingy.......

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:48:18 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

>> I found the placenames around there equally amusing. Much Wenlock? You English sure have some
>> weird ideas.
>
> Aye, but that was brderland, and the weirdness was caused by Welshness seepage.

Much entertainment was added to the journey up by the fact that Adam insisted on referring to
Oswestry as Aubergine.

> Yes, scary - I think he was the reason for the weirdness that dobermanesque dawgy was being
> so weird.

I think much of the weirdness was caused by him expecting MTBers to give him food, much like the
birds at Coed-y-Brenin who will hop onto your plate and start eating your cake whilst your back
is turned.

Obviously this one was expecting some of Bomba's Aero.

> Yeah! I'd forgotten about the Xxtreem terrior walker! WTF was she thinking, walking the bugger up
> the DS/DH course?!?!?

Gotta be good for a laugh. Mind you, I still want to try and ride up the DH course.

--
Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:48:18 +0000, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:
>
> >> I found the placenames around there equally amusing. Much Wenlock? You English sure have some
> >> weird ideas.
> >
> > Aye, but that was brderland, and the weirdness was caused by Welshness seepage.
>
> Much entertainment was added to the journey up by the fact that Adam insisted on referring to
> Oswestry as Aubergine.

Heheheh!?!?! Everyone knows Aubergine is in Scotland.......

> > Yes, scary - I think he was the reason for the weirdness that dobermanesque dawgy was being so
> > weird.
>
> I think much of the weirdness was caused by him expecting MTBers to give him food,

Maybe, but I'd seen the thing wander out from up at the engine house (?), and it was being perfectly
strange then, all on it's own. It kept running a few feet forward, then stopping, turning around a
couple of times cocking it's head left then right, and running back, before chasing nothing in
particular for a few yards....bit like us on that ride really....

> much like the birds at Coed-y-Brenin who will hop onto your plate and start eating your cake
> whilst your back is turned.

Bastards. I'd eat the bloody birds for that....

>Obviously this one was expecting some of Bomba's Aero.

Why did that image conjure up the words 'icecube' and 'hell' in my mind?......

> > Yeah! I'd forgotten about the Xxtreem terrior walker! WTF was she thinking, walking the bugger
> > up the DS/DH course?!?!?
>
> Gotta be good for a laugh.

Heheheheh - she looked permanently 'stunned', like 'what the hell is all this 'stuff' doing
here?!?'......

> Mind you, I still want to try and ride up the DH course.

Yeah - reckon I coulda managed it on my old DT 250 MX.......!

Shaun aRe - BTW, weren't some of those *DH'ers* slow!?!?

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:49:11 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
>>Rob decided to leave wheels out of the equation, and
>try bouncing on his helmet for a while as an alternative style.

ROFLMAO!

>Shaun aRe - This is the really true RR for the yesterday-day.
>
> P.s. - You guys are all ace to hang with! ',;~}
>
>P.p.s. - Spademan, WTF?!? Heheheheheh......
>

Great RR your version anyway ;-).

Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:49:11 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >>Rob decided to leave wheels out of the equation, and
> >try bouncing on his helmet for a while as an alternative style.
>
> ROFLMAO!

Yes, Rob is quite the suprise entertainer ',;~}

> >Shaun aRe - This is the really true RR for the yesterday-day.
> >
> > P.s. - You guys are all ace to hang with! ',;~}
> >
> >P.p.s. - Spademan, WTF?!? Heheheheheh......
> >
>
> Great RR your version anyway ;-).

Cheers Bill ',;~}

> Bill The mind serves properly as a thing, a thing to put stuff into and pull stuff out of in a
> different, creatively mangled form, rather than as a passive conduit for someone else's idea of
> 'fact', that is, the mind should give what the hell you feel you want it to, a peculiar to you
> view, instead of that other stuff.....
> :-]

Ahhhh - a man after my own heart!

',;~}

Shaun aRe - 'Invent your reality'.

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:54:03 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Cheers Bill ',;~}
>
>> Bill The mind serves properly as a thing, a thing to put stuff into and pull stuff out of in a
>> different, creatively mangled form, rather than as a passive conduit for someone else's idea of
>> 'fact', that is, the mind should give what the hell you feel you want it to, a peculiar to you
>> view, instead of that other stuff.....
>> :-]
>
>Ahhhh - a man after my own heart!
>
>',;~}
>
>Shaun aRe - 'Invent your reality'.
>

Quite the card you are.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip incessant rambling>

One pint, huh? You lily livered gits are going to let a bunch of yanks drink more than you? Sad
times. Maybe next time you can get that Irishman Al Maxwell to join you and show you all how to
tip a glass.

JD

JD wrote:

> One pint, huh? You lily livered gits are going to let a bunch of yanks drink more than you? Sad
> times. Maybe next time you can get that Irishman Al Maxwell to join you and show you all how to
> tip a glass.

I honestly wish I could consume more than one pint, but if I drink more than a pint and a half, I
end up comatose in the corner, vomming on myself.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

JD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> <snip incessant rambling>
>
> One pint, huh?

I had two, and was about to order a double JD (Heh, no ****...), when everyone got up to
leave. Bastards.

> You lily livered gits are going to let a bunch of yanks drink more than you?

We have these anti drink-drive laws here Jock, you're country must still be in the dark ages.

> Sad times. Maybe next time you can get that Irishman Al Maxwell to join you and show you all how
> to tip a glass.
>
> JD

Troll.

Shaun aRe - drink you under the table anytime, ya gret lanky freakasaur.

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:54:03 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> >Cheers Bill ',;~}
> >
> >> Bill The mind serves properly as a thing, a thing to put stuff into and pull stuff out of in a
> >> different, creatively mangled form, rather than as a passive conduit for someone else's idea of
> >> 'fact', that is, the mind should give what the hell you feel you want it to, a peculiar to you
> >> view, instead of that other stuff.....
> >> :-]
> >
> >Ahhhh - a man after my own heart!
> >
> >',;~}
> >
> >Shaun aRe - 'Invent your reality'.
> >
>
> Quite the card you are.

Aye, so, is it "The ace of spades!"

Or "Here comes the joker!"

Shaun aRe

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> JD wrote:
>
> > One pint, huh? You lily livered gits are going to let a bunch of yanks drink more than you? Sad
> > times. Maybe next time you can get that Irishman Al Maxwell to join you and show you all how to
> > tip a glass.
>
> I honestly wish I could consume more than one pint, but if I drink more than a pint and a half, I
> end up comatose in the corner, vomming on
myself.
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
>

Practice makes perfect!

Cinder Girl wrote:

>>I honestly wish I could consume more than one pint, but if I drink more than a pint and a half, I
>>end up comatose in the corner, vomming on
>
> myself.
>
>
> Practice makes perfect!

FWIW, there was a heavy dose of sarcasm in my post...

This may well be like a red rag to a bull, but I think the Brits generally have the edge over our
Yankee counterparts when it comes to drinking. I think it comes through growing up in a pub culture.

Anyway, just as an amusing anecdote, I was sat down for lunch a couple of years ago with some
friends from work. The Septic was telling us about the 'Cheers' (?) bar in LAX, which has a deal
whereby if you drink 1 1/2 pints of beer out their special 1 1/2 pint glass in under 15 minutes, you
got to keep the glass. He boasted how it had been a real struggle, but he'd just about managed it.
He couldn't understand why the three Brits at the table were laughing at him...

>
> >>
> >> Quite the card you are.
> >
> >Aye, so, is it "The ace of spades!"
>
> Ace of spade is mine do a google for my Ace of spade RR. That card belongs to me

OK, OK! No need to get tetchy ',;~}

Shaun aRe - King of diamonds? (Heheheheh...).

Cinder Girl <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Well the general stereotype over here is that the Brits and the Irish can hold their liquor much
> better than we can. Its just a stereotype but I'm
a
> beer drinking girl myself and I've never met the Irish or Brit that
couldn't
> drink me under the table.

Heh - what did they do when they got you there?

',;~}

Shaun aRe - <giggle!

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>>>Aye, so, is it "The ace of spades!"
>>
>>Ace of spade is mine do a google for my Ace of spade RR. That card belongs to me
>
>
> OK, OK! No need to get tetchy ',;~}
>
>
>
> Shaun aRe - King of diamonds? (Heheheheh...).

As a non-southerner, I don't think you can really take the title of 'King of diamonds'. How about
the 'Queen of Clubs'?

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> >>>Aye, so, is it "The ace of spades!"
> >>
> >>Ace of spade is mine do a google for my Ace of spade RR. That card belongs to me
> >
> >
> > OK, OK! No need to get tetchy ',;~}
> >
> >
> >
> > Shaun aRe - King of diamonds? (Heheheheh...).
>
> As a non-southerner, I don't think you can really take the title of 'King of diamonds'. How about
> the 'Queen of Clubs'?

I thought you'd be hanging onto that card Jon? ',;~}

Shaun aRe - "*****!"

"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:00:33 -0800, "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote: [snip]
> >
> >I usually just steal the bar glasses but its nice when they give them to you ;)
> >
>
> Damn, could this possibly be the perfect girl?
>
> Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
> mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

Yep thats me! Just last weekend I told the hubby ... all these guys may be staring at my see through
shirt, but you're the only one who gets to drive me home, watch me trip over all the stairs, stumble
into bed, pass out and snore all night ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.