RR the springing of spring

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    heh heh. so much for spring skiing. Right before I got the
    phone call from my patrol buddy working today, letting me
    know that it was shaping up to be AWESOME up on the
    mountain, I had arranged a little ride with Kamikaze #2,
    Mr. Adventure and K2's friend.

    The Mr. Adventure ( my hubby for the uninitiated) settled in
    for his post breakfast Sunday nap, and the gals called me to
    ask if I could show up early. I attempted to rouse my
    napping mate, but all I got was a grumble so off I went.

    K2's new digs are right across the river, literally from the
    Beacon Bomber staging area, and the east entrance to the
    trails. But you can't get there... so we have a three mile
    neighborhood ride down to the bridge and the back along the
    other side of the river on the centennial trail.

    I shift into the granny and just plug up the first hill when
    we get to the trails. I've been really tired, but being out
    the in the sun feels great... so I just keep on pedaling up
    to the top. This is going better than I thought, and I can
    just feel getting my biking legs back under me.

    It's odd, no one else it out... until we get to the top and
    the DH's are throwing themselves down the course. The pace
    is pretty easy, K2's friend is a new rider, a little
    uncomfortable with some of the terrain. The beauty of Beacon
    is that there's something for everyone, so it's a good place
    to learn. We traverse the barely green slopes on the packed
    sandy trails, at a cruising pace. I have to take my
    camera... they are replacing the power lines, and the new
    cables are just stung across the trail at one point. The
    work crews have hung neon work vest on then, which are very
    visible. It's a limbo moment to go under them, and we are
    thankful they aren't live. Then back around on the XC
    course... I can feel my rhythm coming back to me. And the
    svelte Hawaiian... omigod.... so sweet after the rebuild!
    smooth shifting, everything moves like butter....The gals
    even asked if I had gotten a new bike it was so pretty when
    we started out.

    Down at the bottom, we hear that whooshing sound, and a herd
    of DH comes flying through the woods, on one of the many
    trails that criss cross the XC routes. Now, here's where I
    had a strange, slightly negative experience. We circle back,
    and on one of the wider, ( former jeep road) trails, a herd
    of young dh was standing around, essentially blocking the
    route... a la snowboarder if you know what I mean. So, I
    politely call out, can we get through please? They clear a
    narrow opening, and someone says to K2,"you know you better
    watch out, this is the technical riding area".

    well, we were more polite, said nothing, and just went our
    merry way. But in 7 years of riding that area, that's always
    been shared, that's the first time I've ever run into some
    "attitude". Of course I always watch out for them, at
    certain spots. The eastern portion of this area IS totally
    crisscrossed with fall line trail for one set of riders, and
    topographically oriented trails for the others, and I would
    never NOT watch out for them. I just didn't like the
    attitude. Whatever, I wasn't going to let it wreck my day.
    Normally everyone gets along just fine... proper yeildeing
    on the single track that goes up the back side, good
    bantering, the good old "howyadoin" when passing, and I've
    even had friendly offers, "hey ya wanta give it a try"
    sometimes when I stop to watch. So hopefully this was a
    fluke experience.

    We pedalled our merry way home, smiles on our faces and the
    sun on our backs. Note to self: bring money for the Rocket
    Bakery, which we go right by, next time.

    penny

    Tags:

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:24:37 -0800, Penny S wrote:
    > heh heh. so much for spring skiing. Right before I got the
    > phone call from my patrol buddy working today, letting me
    > know that it was shaping up to be AWESOME up on the
    > mountain, I had arranged a little ride with Kamikaze #2,
    > Mr. Adventure and K2's friend.

    Good deal. I did the spring skiing thing on Friday; hadn't
    been on the slopes on a few years, and it showed (one nasty
    cloon, and a couple of minor ones). Just bruises & muscle
    strains, but it blew my riding plans for the weekend.

    Don't let the attitudes get you down. Like you said, its not
    usually like that.

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
    address, at least)

  3. On 2004-03-14, Penny S penned:
    > heh heh. so much for spring skiing. Right before I got the
    > phone call from my patrol buddy working today, letting me
    > know that it was shaping up to be AWESOME up on the
    > mountain, I had arranged a little ride with Kamikaze #2,
    > Mr. Adventure and K2's friend.

    Sounds like you had a great time, awesome snow conditions
    be damned.

    --
    monique

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Penny S wrote:

> [...]
    > always been shared, that's the first time I've ever run
    > into some "attitude". Of course I always watch out for
    > them, at certain spots. The eastern portion of this area
    > IS totally crisscrossed with fall line trail for one set
    > of riders, and topographically oriented trails for the
    > others, and I would never NOT watch out for them. I just
    > didn't like the attitude. Whatever, I wasn't going to let
    > it wreck my day. Normally everyone gets along just fine...
    > proper yeildeing on the single track that goes up the back
    > side, good bantering, the good old "howyadoin" when
    > passing, and I've even had friendly offers, "hey ya wanta
    > give it a try" sometimes when I stop to watch. So
    > hopefully this was a fluke experience.
    >
    > We pedalled our merry way home, smiles on our faces and
    > the sun on our backs. Note to self: bring money for the
    > Rocket Bakery, which we go right by, next time.

    Well finally, It was the crotch kick that sent you over
    the edge, eh!

    My friend and I went out of our way yesterday to be extra
    courteous to other riders and especially hikers. We had a
    really good time in that regard. Some of the hikers even
    wished us a good ride, and all of them said, "Damn, look at
    that Turner... Nice bike!" ;-)

    --
    Slacker

  5. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Slacker ran this through spell check:
    > Penny S wrote:
    >>
    > Well finally, It was the crotch kick that sent you over
    > the edge, eh!

    that particular event, ( count backwards, when did we have a
    baby gate up?) was something like 13 years ago. Some pain
    you never forget...

    Penny

    > My friend and I went out of our way yesterday to be extra
    > courteous to other riders and especially hikers. We had a
    > really good time in that regard. Some of the hikers even
    > wished us a good ride, and all of them said, "Damn, look
    > at that Turner... Nice bike!" ;-)

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Note to self: bring money for the Rocket Bakery, which we
    > go right by, next time.

    Do they bake rockets, or use rockets to bake?

    JD

  7. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    JD ran this through spell check:
    > "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Note to self: bring money for the Rocket Bakery, which
    >> we go right by, next time.
    >
    > Do they bake rockets, or use rockets to bake?
    >
    > JD

    cinnamon rolls, cookies, nainamo bars, brownies, muffins,
    lemon pound cake, lattes.....