RR, three in Cali

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Anthony Sloan, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:11:13 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Do they still exist? I've just worn out my last pair.
    >
    >They're still available, but now are called "Z Max Millenium".

    Ah, good.

    >They're a very good all-terrain tire (as you probably know).

    Aye, that's why I'm sticking with them if possible, rather than going for some of these
    new-fangled ones :)

    Cheers.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

    Tags:

  2. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
    >
    > Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
    >
    > I rode Rockville with Pete Fagerlin. (no helmet cam that day...) It is quite technical. As much of
    > a challenge as City Park, though the drop-ins are what provide the real thrills. Though I say as
    > much in the link, I would like to reiterate that Pete was the best host/guide one could hope for
    > he's a damn good rider, and he knows about, and cares about, the trails. Wether he was dropping
    > off of a hair curling precipice, or identifiying flora and fauna, he was friendly and
    > non-competitive. I was having a pretty low day (something about a wine tasting the night before)
    > but he waited on me without complaint. it was a great ride.
    > http://www.anthonysloan.com/Rockville.html
    >
    > And finally The Mrs and I rode Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz. It was a great, great day, after the
    > ride we went to the boardwalk and rode the rollercoaster, drove up the coast and bought fresh
    > berries at a roadside farm, then turned inland and drove up into the redwoods from Pescadero on a
    > series of windy little roads. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Wilder.html

    Beautiful stuff, Anthony. Any chance you can grab Bean and come up this way in July?

    Paladin

  3. Mtbchip

    Mtbchip Guest

    in article [email protected], Paladin at [email protected] wrote on
    6/9/03 3:19 PM:

    > Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
    >>
    >> Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky.
    >> http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
    I rode Annandale on Friday, May 30th for the first time. Even on a CATAMOUNT it was a GREAT trail.
    We rode for about 3.5 hours. My "guide" said I saw it all..... But I did NOT see any snakes!!!

    Nothing like that place in losocal

    Mtbchip

  4. On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:31:38 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

    |I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
    |
    |Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky. |http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html

    Good stuff but next time you need a guide so you don't miss Rough Go. Sinuous and very rocky.
    Anti-buff. fast rocky singletrack with large squarish boulders to keep everyone honest.

    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/mrg.jpg

    Although it can be tough on the thumb, as JD's brother Tim demonstrated:

    http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/scimitar.jpg

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:31:38 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
    >
    >Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
    >
    >I rode Rockville with Pete Fagerlin. (no helmet cam that day...) It is quite technical. As much of
    >a challenge as City Park, though the drop-ins are what provide the real thrills. Though I say as
    >much in the link, I would like to reiterate that Pete was the best host/guide one could hope for
    >he's a damn good rider, and he knows about, and cares about, the trails. Wether he was dropping off
    >of a hair curling precipice, or identifiying flora and fauna, he was friendly and non-competitive.
    >I was having a pretty low day (something about a wine tasting the night before) but he waited on me
    >without complaint. it was a great ride. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Rockville.html

    You never can tell about some people until you meet them.

    >And finally The Mrs and I rode Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz. It was a great, great day, after the
    >ride we went to the boardwalk and rode the rollercoaster, drove up the coast and bought fresh
    >berries at a roadside farm, then turned inland and drove up into the redwoods from Pescadero on a
    >series of windy little roads. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Wilder.html

    NICE RR, NICER PICS!

    Glad some folks can get out and enjoy some great trails!

    :-]

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

  8. Bill Wheeler wrote:

    >NICE RR, NICER PICS!
    >
    >Glad some folks can get out and enjoy some great trails!
    >
    >Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
    >mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    >:-]

    Thanks, mang!

  9. P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:31:38 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >|I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
    >|
    >|Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky.
    >|http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
    >
    >Good stuff but next time you need a guide so you don't miss Rough Go. Sinuous and very rocky.
    >Anti-buff. fast rocky singletrack with large squarish boulders to keep everyone honest.

    I think that was on eof the sections I repeated. Was too much fun to stop and photograph!

    I'm now having weather withdrawals...

  10. Paladin wrote:

    >Beautiful stuff, Anthony. Any chance you can grab Bean and come up this way in July?
    >
    >Paladin

    Tempting, very tempting. My sister lives in the Teton Valley, so there's just all sorts of
    justification...

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Anthony Sloan thoughtfully penned:
    > Paladin wrote:
    >
    >> Beautiful stuff, Anthony. Any chance you can grab Bean and come up this way in July?
    >>
    >> Paladin
    >>

    > Tempting, very tempting. My sister lives in the Teton Valley, so there's just all sorts of
    > justification...

    hehe, sort of on the way....

    penny

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:31:38 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > |I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
    > |
    > |Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky.
    > |http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
    >
    > Good stuff but next time you need a guide so you don't miss Rough Go. Sinuous and very rocky.
    > Anti-buff. fast rocky singletrack with large squarish boulders to keep everyone honest.
    >
    > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/mrg.jpg
    >
    > Although it can be tough on the thumb, as JD's brother Tim demonstrated:
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/scimitar.jpg

    I think he was as bummed out as I was for not being able to continue the ride. He and I were both
    FUSSY compliant that day, though I don't think he's too comfortable in the rough stuff on his yet.
    Yeah, Rough Go is kind of the antithesis of what most know Annadel as.

    JD

  13. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
    >
    > Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
    >
    > I rode Rockville with Pete Fagerlin. (no helmet cam that day...) It is quite technical. As much of
    > a challenge as City Park, though the drop-ins are what provide the real thrills. Though I say as
    > much in the link, I would like to reiterate that Pete was the best host/guide one could hope for
    > he's a damn good rider, and he knows about, and cares about, the trails. Wether he was dropping
    > off of a hair curling precipice, or identifiying flora and fauna, he was friendly and
    > non-competitive. I was having a pretty low day (something about a wine tasting the night before)
    > but he waited on me without complaint. it was a great ride.
    > http://www.anthonysloan.com/Rockville.html
    >
    > And finally The Mrs and I rode Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz. It was a great, great day, after the
    > ride we went to the boardwalk and rode the rollercoaster, drove up the coast and bought fresh
    > berries at a roadside farm, then turned inland and drove up into the redwoods from Pescadero on a
    > series of windy little roads. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Wilder.html

    I've been to both. Rockville is a lot of riding in a small space. The flora that caught my attention
    was the abundant poison oak. (I had a bad experience with it as a teenager.)

    I enjoyed Wilder, too, but the trails are very busy compared to those in the Sierra and its
    foothills.

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  14. Trekkie Dad wrote:

    >I enjoyed Wilder, too, but the trails are very busy compared to those in the Sierra and its
    >foothills.
    >
    >TD

    We saw one other rider at Wilder, that in the parking lot.

  15. Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Trekkie Dad wrote:

    > >I enjoyed Wilder, too, but the trails are very busy compared to those in the Sierra and its
    > >foothills.

    > We saw one other rider at Wilder, that in the parking lot.

    It varies greatly - summer and holiday weekends can be busy, other times can be much less so. Late
    in the day/early evening is often uncrowded. Summer is when Wilder is most crowded, till October is
    when it's hottest and most deep-sandy - it's nice at other times, although during the rainy season
    some trails may be closed.