RR, three in Cali

Anthony Sloan

Guest
On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:11:13 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Do they still exist? I've just worn out my last pair.
>
>They're still available, but now are called "Z Max Millenium".

Ah, good.

>They're a very good all-terrain tire (as you probably know).

Aye, that's why I'm sticking with them if possible, rather than going for some of these
new-fangled ones :)

Cheers.
--
"We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
>
> Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
>
> I rode Rockville with Pete Fagerlin. (no helmet cam that day...) It is quite technical. As much of
> a challenge as City Park, though the drop-ins are what provide the real thrills. Though I say as
> much in the link, I would like to reiterate that Pete was the best host/guide one could hope for
> he's a damn good rider, and he knows about, and cares about, the trails. Wether he was dropping
> off of a hair curling precipice, or identifiying flora and fauna, he was friendly and
> non-competitive. I was having a pretty low day (something about a wine tasting the night before)
> but he waited on me without complaint. it was a great ride.
> http://www.anthonysloan.com/Rockville.html
>
> And finally The Mrs and I rode Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz. It was a great, great day, after the
> ride we went to the boardwalk and rode the rollercoaster, drove up the coast and bought fresh
> berries at a roadside farm, then turned inland and drove up into the redwoods from Pescadero on a
> series of windy little roads. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Wilder.html

Beautiful stuff, Anthony. Any chance you can grab Bean and come up this way in July?

Paladin

in article [email protected], Paladin at [email protected] wrote on
6/9/03 3:19 PM:

> Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
>>
>> Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky.
>> http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
I rode Annandale on Friday, May 30th for the first time. Even on a CATAMOUNT it was a GREAT trail.
We rode for about 3.5 hours. My "guide" said I saw it all..... But I did NOT see any snakes!!!

Nothing like that place in losocal

Mtbchip

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:31:38 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

|I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
|
|Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky. |http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html

Good stuff but next time you need a guide so you don't miss Rough Go. Sinuous and very rocky.
Anti-buff. fast rocky singletrack with large squarish boulders to keep everyone honest.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/mrg.jpg

Although it can be tough on the thumb, as JD's brother Tim demonstrated:

http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/scimitar.jpg

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:31:38 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

>I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
>
>Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
>
>I rode Rockville with Pete Fagerlin. (no helmet cam that day...) It is quite technical. As much of
>a challenge as City Park, though the drop-ins are what provide the real thrills. Though I say as
>much in the link, I would like to reiterate that Pete was the best host/guide one could hope for
>he's a damn good rider, and he knows about, and cares about, the trails. Wether he was dropping off
>of a hair curling precipice, or identifiying flora and fauna, he was friendly and non-competitive.
>I was having a pretty low day (something about a wine tasting the night before) but he waited on me
>without complaint. it was a great ride. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Rockville.html

You never can tell about some people until you meet them.

>And finally The Mrs and I rode Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz. It was a great, great day, after the
>ride we went to the boardwalk and rode the rollercoaster, drove up the coast and bought fresh
>berries at a roadside farm, then turned inland and drove up into the redwoods from Pescadero on a
>series of windy little roads. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Wilder.html

NICE RR, NICER PICS!

Glad some folks can get out and enjoy some great trails!

:-]

Bill Wheeler wrote:

>NICE RR, NICER PICS!
>
>Glad some folks can get out and enjoy some great trails!
>
>Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
>mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
>:-]

Thanks, mang!

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:31:38 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>|I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
>|
>|Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky.
>|http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
>
>Good stuff but next time you need a guide so you don't miss Rough Go. Sinuous and very rocky.
>Anti-buff. fast rocky singletrack with large squarish boulders to keep everyone honest.

I think that was on eof the sections I repeated. Was too much fun to stop and photograph!

I'm now having weather withdrawals...

Paladin wrote:

>Beautiful stuff, Anthony. Any chance you can grab Bean and come up this way in July?
>
>Paladin

Tempting, very tempting. My sister lives in the Teton Valley, so there's just all sorts of
justification...

Anthony Sloan thoughtfully penned:
> Paladin wrote:
>
>> Beautiful stuff, Anthony. Any chance you can grab Bean and come up this way in July?
>>
>> Paladin
>>

> Tempting, very tempting. My sister lives in the Teton Valley, so there's just all sorts of
> justification...

hehe, sort of on the way....

penny

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:31:38 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> |I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
> |
> |Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky.
> |http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
>
> Good stuff but next time you need a guide so you don't miss Rough Go. Sinuous and very rocky.
> Anti-buff. fast rocky singletrack with large squarish boulders to keep everyone honest.
>
> http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/mrg.jpg
>
> Although it can be tough on the thumb, as JD's brother Tim demonstrated:
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/scimitar.jpg

I think he was as bummed out as I was for not being able to continue the ride. He and I were both
FUSSY compliant that day, though I don't think he's too comfortable in the rough stuff on his yet.
Yeah, Rough Go is kind of the antithesis of what most know Annadel as.

JD

In article <[email protected]>,
Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just got back from some Bay Area riding.
>
> Annadel in Santa Rosa was quite nice, if not a bit snaky. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Annadel.html
>
> I rode Rockville with Pete Fagerlin. (no helmet cam that day...) It is quite technical. As much of
> a challenge as City Park, though the drop-ins are what provide the real thrills. Though I say as
> much in the link, I would like to reiterate that Pete was the best host/guide one could hope for
> he's a damn good rider, and he knows about, and cares about, the trails. Wether he was dropping
> off of a hair curling precipice, or identifiying flora and fauna, he was friendly and
> non-competitive. I was having a pretty low day (something about a wine tasting the night before)
> but he waited on me without complaint. it was a great ride.
> http://www.anthonysloan.com/Rockville.html
>
> And finally The Mrs and I rode Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz. It was a great, great day, after the
> ride we went to the boardwalk and rode the rollercoaster, drove up the coast and bought fresh
> berries at a roadside farm, then turned inland and drove up into the redwoods from Pescadero on a
> series of windy little roads. http://www.anthonysloan.com/Wilder.html

I've been to both. Rockville is a lot of riding in a small space. The flora that caught my attention
was the abundant poison oak. (I had a bad experience with it as a teenager.)

I enjoyed Wilder, too, but the trails are very busy compared to those in the Sierra and its
foothills.

TD

--
[email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

Trekkie Dad wrote:

>I enjoyed Wilder, too, but the trails are very busy compared to those in the Sierra and its
>foothills.
>
>TD

We saw one other rider at Wilder, that in the parking lot.

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Trekkie Dad wrote:

> >I enjoyed Wilder, too, but the trails are very busy compared to those in the Sierra and its
> >foothills.

> We saw one other rider at Wilder, that in the parking lot.

It varies greatly - summer and holiday weekends can be busy, other times can be much less so. Late
in the day/early evening is often uncrowded. Summer is when Wilder is most crowded, till October is
when it's hottest and most deep-sandy - it's nice at other times, although during the rainy season
some trails may be closed.