RR: Thursday Night Mellow Ride (fairly short)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jonathan Bond, Apr 18, 2003.

  1. Picked up some tights earlier today, decided I wanted to go and needed them in the future anyway.
    Pearl Izumi Microfleece (no chamois, prefer to wear shorts beneath), on sale... for $55. OUCH! So
    comfy though.

    Thursday Night Mellow Ride with RAGE. Rode up to the Fells with a woman who works for the 24 Hours
    of Adrenaline company, as well as Ride Magazine. Met up with about 50 RAGE on Boston riders. Joined
    the medium group, stayed at the front of it the whole time, cleared some things I thought I
    couldn't, got two flats (one front, one rear... I really need new tires, they were both pumped up
    pretty hard, the sidewalls are just not holding up anymore and the tread is getting thin between the
    knobs. The knobs just don't want to go though, they're rounded and shortened, but still there.)

    Synopsis, for the lazy ones:

    Start: 5:30 from Tufts got back: 8:20 (got a ride, it was dark and it was offered!) Mechanicals: Two
    flats by me, a wonky rear derailleur (fixed on the trail) by somebody else. Terrain: Rocky, Rooty,
    tacky singletrack. Lots of steep ups and downs. Some fast, loose fireroads. Miles: Who cares?
    Temperature: 33 degrees F.

    Second ride this week, both with groups, both fairly fast. I'm way more in shape now than I was even
    1/2 way into the summer. Sweet. Gonna be a fun year!

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:56:56 GMT, Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]
    >Synopsis, for the lazy ones:

    much thanks.

    >Start: 5:30 from Tufts got back: 8:20 (got a ride, it was dark and it was offered!) Mechanicals:
    >Two flats by me, a wonky rear derailleur (fixed on the trail) by somebody else. Terrain: Rocky,
    >Rooty, tacky singletrack. Lots of steep ups and downs. Some fast, loose fireroads. Miles: Who
    >cares? Temperature: 33 degrees F.
    >
    >Second ride this week, both with groups, both fairly fast. I'm way more in shape now than I was
    >even 1/2 way into the summer. Sweet. Gonna be a fun year!
    >
    >Jon Bond

    GREAT RR, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
    mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  3. John G

    John G Guest

    Jonathan Bond wrote:

    > really need new tires, they were both pumped up pretty hard, the sidewalls are just not holding up
    > anymore and the tread is getting thin between the knobs. The knobs just don't want to go though,
    > they're rounded and shortened, but still there.)

    I've got a pile of almost new tires that just I've bought and cast aside after a ride or two becuase
    they didn't work well for me.. you are welcome to two of them... I'll take an inventory and e-mail
    the list to you and you can take your pick. I'm sure there is got to be something there that will
    work for you better than what you have now. (what do you ride now?)

    > Start: 5:30 from Tufts got back: 8:20 (got a ride, it was dark and it was offered!) Mechanicals:
    > Two flats by me, a wonky rear derailleur (fixed on the trail) by somebody else. Terrain: Rocky,
    > Rooty, tacky singletrack. Lots of steep ups and downs. Some fast, loose fireroads. Miles: Who
    > cares? Temperature: 33 degrees F.

    Sounds like a typical RAGE ride to me.

  4. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    Hey there, Jon, we're going to have to get together for a ride now that you're a rager. Are you
    doing the Otis trip?

    Tom

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    >Mellow RR snipped<

  5. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Picked up some tights earlier today, decided I wanted to go and needed them in the future anyway.
    > Pearl Izumi Microfleece (no chamois, prefer to wear shorts beneath), on sale... for $55. OUCH! So
    > comfy though.
    >
    > Thursday Night Mellow Ride with RAGE. Rode up to the Fells with a woman who works for the 24
    > Hours of Adrenaline company, as well as Ride Magazine. Met up with about 50 RAGE on Boston
    > riders. Joined the medium group, stayed at the front of it the whole time, cleared some things I
    > thought I couldn't, got two flats (one front, one rear... I really need new tires, they were both
    > pumped up pretty hard, the sidewalls are just not holding up anymore and the tread is getting
    > thin between the knobs. The knobs just don't want to go though, they're rounded and shortened,
    > but still there.)
    >
    > Synopsis, for the lazy ones:
    >
    > Start: 5:30 from Tufts got back: 8:20 (got a ride, it was dark and it was offered!) Mechanicals:
    > Two flats by me, a wonky rear derailleur (fixed on the trail) by somebody else. Terrain: Rocky,
    > Rooty, tacky singletrack. Lots of steep ups and downs. Some fast, loose fireroads. Miles: Who
    > cares? Temperature: 33 degrees F.
    >
    > Second ride this week, both with groups, both fairly fast. I'm way more in shape now than I was
    > even 1/2 way into the summer. Sweet. Gonna be a fun year!
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Jon if you don't find what you need with John G, let me know. I've got a set or 2 of IRC Mythos,
    some Michelin something-or-others, and other good or new-condition crap, if you're interested.

    Paladin

  6. John G wrote:

    > Jonathan Bond wrote:
    >
    >> really need new tires, they were both pumped up pretty hard, the sidewalls are just not holding
    >> up anymore and the tread is getting thin between the knobs. The knobs just don't want to go
    >> though, they're rounded and shortened, but still there.)
    >

    > I've got a pile of almost new tires that just I've bought and cast aside after a ride or two
    > becuase they didn't work well for me.. you are welcome to two of them... I'll take an inventory
    > and e-mail the list to you and you can take your pick. I'm sure there is got to be something there
    > that will work for you better than what you have now. (what do you ride now?)

    I ride WTB Velociraptors, they're a bit slow since I'm doing some racing now. Good all around tires,
    but they've been getting more and more pinch flats and puncture flats lately, with the same pressure
    and somewhat smoother riding. Guess its their time...

    Unless you've got a pair of IRC Serac XC's around, I'll probably just buy some. I'll be working for
    a bike shop in about two and a half weeks, so new tires probably shouldn't be too bad. I'm also
    going to try and get a tire sponsor for the Tufts team next year - Michelin, Panaracer, or
    Hutchinson, since they make both road and mtb tires.

    Thanks for the offer though!

    >> Start: 5:30 from Tufts got back: 8:20 (got a ride, it was dark and it was offered!) Mechanicals:
    >> Two flats by me, a wonky rear derailleur (fixed on the trail) by somebody else. Terrain: Rocky,
    >> Rooty, tacky singletrack. Lots of steep ups and downs. Some fast, loose fireroads. Miles: Who
    >> cares? Temperature: 33 degrees F.
    >

    > Sounds like a typical RAGE ride to me.

    Yup. Good times, good people. Unfortunately, I caught a nasty bug thats going around school now - a
    head cold with a high (102-103+) fever. Haven't gotten to the fever stage yet, hopefully I'll blow
    right by it, but it does mean my riding plans for this weekend might be shot. Blah.

    Jon Bond

  7. Jonathan Bond wrote:

    > I ride WTB Velociraptors,

    Aye, I lived them except they wore out too darned fast.

    > Unless you've got a pair of IRC Serac XC's around,

    I do!!!! I DO!!!! On my Single speed. SO if you want them you are gonna hve to drop the saddle a few
    inches and ride _it_

    > Yup. Good times, good people. Unfortunately, I caught a nasty bug thats going around school now -
    > a head cold with a high (102-103+) fever. Haven't gotten to the fever stage yet, hopefully I'll
    > blow right by it, but it does mean my riding plans for this weekend might be shot. Blah.

    no big loss..... it's supposed to be cold and rainy anyway.

  8. ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

    > Jonathan Bond wrote:
    >

    >> I ride WTB Velociraptors,
    >

    > Aye, I lived them except they wore out too darned fast.
    >

    >> Unless you've got a pair of IRC Serac XC's around,
    >

    > I do!!!! I DO!!!! On my Single speed. SO if you want them you are gonna hve to drop the saddle a
    > few inches and ride _it_

    I might build my Kaitai into a front suspension singlespeed - we'll see. I think I need new oil
    seals though, my left leg is looking a little oily. Can't wait for that new Marathon SL 105!

    >> Yup. Good times, good people. Unfortunately, I caught a nasty bug thats going around school now -
    >> a head cold with a high (102-103+) fever. Haven't gotten to the fever stage yet, hopefully I'll
    >> blow right by it, but it does mean my riding plans for this weekend might be shot. Blah.
    >

    > no big loss..... it's supposed to be cold and rainy anyway.

    Not here. 50ish and partly cloudy, with a few scattered showers. WAH!

    Jon Bond