RR/TR/TTSR: Happy Happy Joy Joy

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mattb, May 15, 2003.

  1. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    The weather looked a little threatening as I away from work last night. The wind was picking up and
    I could see these little micro cells cruising through the basin dropping rain and maybe a little
    hail as they passed. I picked up my bike from the LBS. I just had them put a Stan's Tubeless System
    on my bike. I've been thinking about going tubeless for a while and heard from some reputable local
    pros that this was the way to go. I still have my Mavic 517 (I think - I often botch that model
    number for some reason) rims, and the beauty of the Stan's system is you can just retrofit your
    current setup. After hearing what a pain it is to get them to seal, I decided the LBS could just do
    it for me. I set up a home network for the owner so I redeemed a little of that credit for the TTS.
    After getting ready and wiping down my chain (also getting set up with a nice dry lube system) the
    wind was really ripping and I could see a cell dropping it's payload on Hartman Rocks, my intended
    destination. So I changed my plan and headed up towards Signal Peak, where a lot of singletrack that
    the wildlife and livestock have made is being linked together for some fine riding. I saw one other
    rider on the way up, our local SS pro, Ken. We exchanged pleasantries and some discussion of good
    routes in the area. He said he heard I'm the guy to talk to about connecting up all the pieces to
    make a good loop. Maybe I am, but I'm not doing the connecting, I'm just following others' tracks
    and trail markers. Running my tires at 35 Lbs. felt great. I also just got a new Intense XC
    2.25 tire on the front and that might be helping as well. Whatever it was, the combo made the Epic
    hook up in turns like never before. So I was zigging, zagging, and having a great time in the cool
    evening air. The fields in the Ohio Creek Valley are beginning to flood, so that meandering water
    was reflecting the light sky, contrasting with the shadows from the clouds and snow-capped peaks
    to make a wonderful view. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me so I'll just have to savor
    the memory. I did a smaller version of the loop I've recently discovered, totaling 18 Miles or so
    and ~2000' vertical. I did it in about two hours and it felt great. I really felt strong for the
    first time in a few rides which was extra-nice. So the tires held, the new Intense front hooked
    nicely (although it threw rocks at me the whole time), and the trail and evening were fantastic. I
    came home to my wife and new son, cracked open a 90 Schilling and concluded (like the Old
    Milwaukee commercials - but with good beer) that life doesn't get any better than this.

    --

    Matt

    "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    Tags:

  2. "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > peaks to make a wonderful view. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me so I'll just have
    > to savor the memory. I did a smaller version of the loop I've recently discovered, totaling 18
    > Miles or so and ~2000' vertical. I did it in about two hours and it
    felt
    > great. I really felt strong for the first time in a few rides which was extra-nice. So the tires
    > held, the new Intense front hooked nicely (although it threw rocks at me the whole time), and the
    > trail and evening were
    fantastic.
    > I came home to my wife and new son, cracked open a 90 Schilling and concluded (like the Old
    > Milwaukee commercials - but with good beer) that life doesn't get any better than this.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    Nice Matt! I've just finished the rebuild on my AD10, but it has been raining south of you all day.
    Trails should be great tomorrow, but I have class trip obligations with my son ... maybe on
    Saturday. 90 Schilling doesn't get enough press, as good a beer as Fat Tire, I especially like their
    porter, Cutthroat I believe. Have a great day!
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  3. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip> >
    > Nice Matt! I've just finished the rebuild on my AD10, but it has been raining south of you all
    > day. Trails should be great tomorrow, but I have class trip obligations with my son ... maybe on
    > Saturday. 90 Schilling doesn't get enough press, as good a beer as Fat Tire, I especially like
    > their porter, Cutthroat I believe. Have a great day!
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    It's been raining here all day too. I snuck that ride in last night as the real weather was
    approaching. Actually nice to see it. It should firm up Hartman's for the Frutian Invasion
    this weekend.

    Tonight was Mrs. B's night to ride and mine to hang with the boy, but it looks like she's going to
    miss out. It's been pissin' down all afternoon.

    I hadn't had a 90 Schilling for a while and it was on sale. I think it's a little better than I
    remember. I like the porter as well as Levity if I'm in the mood for a light-ish beer.

    Matt