RR - Urban Assault

Flyingcoyote

Guest
Erin and I went out for some urban assault last night after work. She was on the RazorBack,
practicing her bunnyhops and balance while I practiced drops, balance, getting up onto benches,
fountains and electrical boxes. We started from our place and rode down to the main strip in the
town we live. Hitting up parking lots as we made our way down the boulevard, riding raised curbs and
short walls, jumping over anything we could find and riding stairs when we could find them. During
all this, we returned some rented DVD's to Blockbuster and hit the bank. We stopped at KFC after
about an hour of playing to load up on some grease before heading home. Around the corner from where
we live there is this big, squat electrical box thingy. It sits on a slight slope so on one side
it's about 1.5' high while the other is about 3' high. The whole thing has a top surface of about
4.5 Sq Ft. I approach it from the short side, pop up the front wheel and hop.. smack!

Bashring... stumble. Bah. I back up and try again... this time easily getting up on top of
it... I trackstand for a moment up top before deciding on a wheelie drop off the taller end
into some gravel.

Ugh. I misjudged how deep that gravel was and when I landed, my wheels dug in - feet went flyin',
pedal dug in hard to my right shin. Couldn't walk for about a full minute before I could push the
pain away and beat Erin up the last hill to home.

Got home and took a loot at the shin... munched! Mostly just scrapes up and down the shin but for
one particularly deep one, with some teeth marks where the pedal ripped in good. I thought about
going in for stitches but figured I'd see if it'd stop bleeding on it's own. After about 1.5 hours
it was still flowing. Well, cleaned it with peroxide, bandaged it up with some neosporin and decided
to take another look in the morning. Then I decide it's good time to use my REI dividend and order
some new Fox shin guards (along with a pair of pants, a shirt and some Cytomax).

Morning comes around... I take off the gauze (which is soaked through) and as soon as the biggest
cut is exposed it starts back to bleeding. Grr. Well... gotta go to work. Bandaged it up again and
now here I am at work. I'll check it again when I get home, if it still looks like it needs
attention than off I go for some stitches. I think it'll be ok without them.

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Erin and I went out for some urban assault last night after work. She was
on
> the RazorBack, practicing her bunnyhops and balance while I practiced
drops,
> balance, getting up onto benches, fountains and electrical boxes. We
started
> from our place and rode down to the main strip in the town we live.
Hitting
> up parking lots as we made our way down the boulevard, riding raised curbs and short walls,
> jumping over anything we could find and riding stairs
when
> we could find them. During all this, we returned some rented DVD's to Blockbuster and hit the
> bank. We stopped at KFC after about an hour of playing to load up on some grease before heading
> home. Around the corner from where we live there is this big, squat electrical
box
> thingy. It sits on a slight slope so on one side it's about 1.5' high
while
> the other is about 3' high. The whole thing has a top surface of about 4.5 Sq Ft. I approach it
> from the short side, pop up the front wheel and hop.. smack!
>
> Bashring... stumble. Bah. I back up and try again... this time easily getting up on top of it... I
> trackstand for a moment up top before
deciding
> on a wheelie drop off the taller end into some gravel.
>
> Ugh. I misjudged how deep that gravel was and when I landed, my wheels dug in - feet went flyin',
> pedal dug in hard to my right shin. Couldn't walk
for
> about a full minute before I could push the pain away and beat Erin up the last hill to home.
>
> Got home and took a loot at the shin... munched! Mostly just scrapes up
and
> down the shin but for one particularly deep one, with some teeth marks
where
> the pedal ripped in good. I thought about going in for stitches but
figured
> I'd see if it'd stop bleeding on it's own. After about 1.5 hours it was still flowing. Well,
> cleaned it with peroxide, bandaged it up with some neosporin and decided to take another look in
> the morning. Then I decide it's good time to use my REI dividend and order some new Fox shin
> guards (along with a pair of pants, a shirt and some Cytomax).
>
> Morning comes around... I take off the gauze (which is soaked through) and as soon as the biggest
> cut is exposed it starts back to bleeding. Grr. Well... gotta go to work. Bandaged it up again and
> now here I am at work. I'll check it again when I get home, if it still looks like it needs
> attention than off I go for some stitches. I think it'll be ok without
them.

> --
>
> FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
> --

Two words: Duct Tape

Lance

"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip disasterous shin mangling>
> Got home and took a loot at the shin... munched! Mostly just scrapes up
and
> down the shin but for one particularly deep one, with some teeth marks
where
> the pedal ripped in good. I thought about going in for stitches but
figured
> I'd see if it'd stop bleeding on it's own. After about 1.5 hours it was still flowing. Well,
> cleaned it with peroxide, bandaged it up with some neosporin and decided to take another look in
> the morning. Then I decide it's good time to use my REI dividend and order some new Fox shin
> guards (along with a pair of pants, a shirt and some Cytomax).

Shinguards, my friend, shinguards...I wouldn't think to take my trials bike out without
donning my set...

> Morning comes around... I take off the gauze (which is soaked through) and as soon as the biggest
> cut is exposed it starts back to bleeding. Grr. Well... gotta go to work. Bandaged it up again and
> now here I am at work. I'll check it again when I get home, if it still looks like it needs
> attention than off I go for some stitches. I think it'll be ok without
them.

Just don't let it infected. Thanks for posting about the mess :)

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

FlyingCoyote wrote:
> "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote >
>>
>>> I think it'll be ok without them.
>>
>> Famous last words.
>>
>> Pete
>>

> I kinda always figured my last words would be, "Ohhh.... shhhhiiiiiitt....."

At least they weren't "hold my beer and watch this..."

penny

FlyingCoyote wrote:

> Erin and I went out for some urban assault last night after work. She was on the RazorBack,
> practicing her bunnyhops and balance while I practiced drops, balance, getting up onto benches,
> fountains and electrical boxes.

Urban assault is great fun!

However, be careful around utility stuff. Poles, boxes, etc... can become electrically hot if
several conditions all go wrong at once. I work for a phone company (one of the big 4), and in my 18
years here we've lost 5 people to hot boxes and poles. Techs even carry a special probe to measure
voltage on the surface of the object before they touch
it. The 5 that died failed to use it before they reached out and touched it. 8^(

Chances are, you'll never encounter a problem, but the first will probably kill you.

Have fun, Barry

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Urban assault is great fun!
>
> However, be careful around utility stuff. Poles, boxes, etc... can become electrically hot if
> several conditions all go wrong at once. I work for a phone company (one of the big 4), and in my
> 18 years here we've lost 5 people to hot boxes and poles. Techs even carry a special probe to
> measure voltage on the surface of the object before they touch
> it. The 5 that died failed to use it before they reached out and touched it. 8^(
>
> Chances are, you'll never encounter a problem, but the first will probably kill you.
>
> Have fun, Barry

That had crossed my mind but I figured it would be safe since it was on the side the street on a
public corner with no fence around it...

At least, I would HOPE that means it's safe! heh. ;)

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

"I'll check it again when I get home, if it still looks like it needs"
you can only get stitches straight after the accident, after than the skin starts to die off and is unstitchable.

I did a similiar accident which took 2 months to fully heal but hey....chix dig scars!:D

"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

Heya! I was reading the RR and it sounded strangely like a post about shinpads I read an hour ago on
trials-online, hmm. Look at the poster. Well whataya know, it's the same dude! :)

What pedals do you have? I've got Armour-dillo (Australian-made) shinpads, btw.

hippy

roKeMS wrote:
> "I'll check it again when I get home, if it still looks like it needs" you can only get stitches
> straight after the accident, after than the skin starts to die off and is unstitchable.
>
> I did a similiar accident which took 2 months to fully heal but hey....chix dig scars!:D
>

> --
> Life is one big adventure....or nothing
>
> http://www.cycling.net.au/northshore/ www.mountainbikepark.com

Oh yeah. Hadn't thought of that. I think it's about 12 hours or so, or something. Ah well. It's
looking good so it doesn't matter anyway. ;)

If chicks dig scars then they'll dig my legs, fro sho!

--

hippy wrote:
> "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
>
> Heya! I was reading the RR and it sounded strangely like a post about shinpads I read an hour ago
> on trials-online, hmm. Look at the poster. Well whataya know, it's the same dude! :)
>
> What pedals do you have? I've got Armour-dillo (Australian-made) shinpads, btw.
>
> hippy

Hehe. Doncha love when that happens? ;)

They came on the Monty. Listed as VP Components. I think they're just generic-ish pedals. Been
thinking of replacing them with something lighter, along with the bars I got on it.

Now for some XC evening riding....

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com