RR - Very DIRTy CRIT

Bikesoiler

New Member
Jun 17, 2003
Home & hosed (literally), beer in hand, time to post of tonights activities.

Crossed paths with Flying Dutch on the way to the Sth Melb Dirt Crit . Singlespeed meets Fixie. :)

The race plan didn't unfold tonight. Neither did I plan to ride in the rain, or get my bike dirty, wrong on both counts.
Only a small turn out for the race. Maybe they knew something. A few light spits of rain had us all huddled around the registration van. 'It'll clear up' I told myself. Everyone took off quickly at race start, keen to get warm.
My race plan was to get in the bunch & hold a wheel. The wind had picked up & the open part of the course would be ugly.
I was in a good position after the first mounds & corner.
At the hairpin under the tree it all went wrong. My left foot pulled out of the pedal. Bugger! Flap left foot around coasting & try to clip back in! Then I loose my right foot. FARK! Lucky I can stand over the top tube with plenty of clearance. No body damage but I skidded to a complete stop off the track. The whole field rides past & I hook on. Dead Fuggin Last now. ****! The weather hasn't cleared at all.
I'm behind Vinca, the only woman in the race & quite fast. One ahead is Mark on his cross bike. The rest of the field has gone. It's lightly raining now. Vinca gets past Mark, I get past a bit later. Vinca is about 100 metres ahead. A few laps pass & I'm not gaining but neither is anyone getting close to lapping me. I put in & get closer to Vinca. A bit more & maybe I can draft her. No, she pulls out! I settle in for several lonely laps. Rain gets blown in my face each time I turn into the wind. I get passed by the leading riders in what turned out to be the last 5 laps. My hands, arms & back are telling me to get some new forks. The stock rigid forks might be light & nimble but don't absorb much of the bumpy track. I get the call of 2 laps to go, Yea! I let one more place go but don't really care. Tim was very polite when passing.

I did 15 laps, only one down. Too wet cold & windy to stand around. Presentation to be held at the nearest pub. Now a choice, to the pub or straight home? Very soggy & sprayed with mud I head home. Wet roads, heavy traffic, splitting lanes & jumping for gaps. A whole other story but I just want to get home & clean up. I head straight for the hose & spray down the bike. Hmm... lotsa rim gunk coming off. I also hose down my legs & shoes, better just wet than wet & dirty.

I'll be back next week.

- Bikesoiler "soil sampling"

Bikesoiler wrote:
> The race plan didn't unfold tonight. Neither did I plan to ride in the
> rain, or get my bike dirty, wrong on both counts.

Good on you for sticking it out though! Nutbag :)

> Only a small turn out for the race. Maybe they knew something.

You wouldn't have thought it would turn yucky, given the heat around
lunch time..

> At the hairpin under the tree it all went wrong. My left foot pulled
> out of the pedal. Bugger! Flap left foot around coasting & try to clip
> back in! Then I loose my right foot. FARK!

Not enough tension or are they old or something? I'm a chicken so tend
to clip out early and stick a leg out through corners. This doesn't work
when it's muddy - spd's don't like mud + rocks.

> Hmm... lotsa rim gunk coming off.

Good excuse for discs yeah? :)

> I'll be back next week.

Certified Nutbag. :)

Good to see someone got their HR up last night. Thanks for the report.

hippy

hippy said:
Bikesoiler wrote:
> The race plan didn't unfold tonight. Neither did I plan to ride in the
> rain, or get my bike dirty, wrong on both counts.

Good on you for sticking it out though! Nutbag :)

> Only a small turn out for the race. Maybe they knew something.

You wouldn't have thought it would turn yucky, given the heat around
lunch time..

> At the hairpin under the tree it all went wrong. My left foot pulled
> out of the pedal. Bugger! Flap left foot around coasting & try to clip
> back in! Then I loose my right foot. FARK!

Not enough tension or are they old or something? I'm a chicken so tend
to clip out early and stick a leg out through corners. This doesn't work
when it's muddy - spd's don't like mud + rocks.

One side of the left pedal is at too low a tension but I think the cleats are finally showing their age.

hippy said:
> Hmm... lotsa rim gunk coming off.
hippy said:
Good excuse for discs yeah? :)

Bothe discs & a decent suspension fork are on the list of upgrades. I've got a spare set of discs but the fork could cost nearly as much as the bike.
hippy said:
> I'll be back next week.
hippy said:
Certified Nutbag. :)

One word. Glenvale. ;)

hippy said:
Good to see someone got their HR up last night. Thanks for the report.

hippy

"Bikesoiler" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> The race plan didn't unfold tonight. Neither did I plan to ride in the
> rain, or get my bike dirty, wrong on both counts.
> Only a small turn out for the race. Maybe they knew something. A few
> light spits of rain had us all huddled around the registration van.
> 'It'll clear up' I told myself. Everyone took off quickly at race
> start, keen to get warm.

I was hoping the rain might hold off a little longer myself, but seeing as
it kept the fast guys away it turned out good for me :)
Even though the wind and rain made it tough it was still a lot easier than
the previous week racing on my fixie with slicks.

Now the big question is, am I stupid enough to get even muddier tomorrow
night at Snozza's crits?