RR: Walk Away

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Wheeler, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    Well it was about 32 F with a good breeze blowing. I must say it felt refreshing. With the overnight
    temps dipping below freezing I thought everything would be pretty much frozen on the trails.

    I couldn't have been more wrong. Sure there were some icy spots, but most everything else was mud,
    the consistency of silly putty. For the most part there nothing wrong with that. You just need to
    smooth out your stroke and watch your weight distribution on the hills and be prepared to carry what
    feels like 10 lbs of extra weight.

    in case I dabbed in a shallow stream. The ride home with icy feet can be a bit brutal on the road.
    To my chagrin my SS won't fit on my Yakima rack WTF!? The disc brake mount is in the way of the
    cross bar. (no longer have my truck with the rear wheel mount rack)

    Road Trip To The Trails: Friggin cold!

    Down In The Park: I mapped out a route that would take me over one stream and do a loop on the
    Rockburn Branch Trail. As soon as I get in the woods I see my enemy, STANDING, UNFROZEN WATER,
    aaaarg! Why is it always warmer in the woods? Going was slow, the MuntanoRaptors picked up the mud
    and due to my speed didn't want to let it go. The trip in was good. I did have one hell of a time
    keeping my line on the Belmont side. The mud was just about to freeze over giving it that silly
    putty consistency. The bike was getting heavy. I looked down and could hardly see my front chain
    ring. The silly putty was packed 4 inches up surrounding my BB and front part of my rear triangle. I
    had virtually no clearance on my front fork. The top of the rear triangle was also packed and
    beginning to ice over. No big deal I'm still going down hill.

    Up And Out: I get to my destination and decide to clean off the bike before I head out. I had to
    pick up a stick to poke and scrape off the silly putty. Here we go, time to get a good leg burn in.
    I start up pretty tame hill. I can't put too much power to the rear and I really have to keep my
    weight back. This can be pretty tricky while standing and mashing on an SS. 5 minutes or so go by
    and my heart is about to pop. I can't figure out WTF is going on. I feel great physically but it's
    hard going. I finally come to a downed log and this gives me a damn good excuse to stop and take a
    breather. The bike is more full of mud than it was before I cleaned it the first time. As I pick the
    bike up to get over the log it must have weight 40 pounds! A graphite seat post would have come in
    handy about now ;-) After another cleaning I'm on my way.

    One Last Hill: Sorry can't do it. I'm toast. I've been beaten. I had to walk away. It felt good to
    walk up this hill. This hill hasn't beaten me in 5 years. Well this time he owned me, after all he
    had silly putty on his side this time.

    Road Trip Home: Friggin cold!

    Takin' my time Choosin' my lines Try'n' to decide what to do

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

    Tags:

  2. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote cool RR:
    > >snip mud fest story <
    > One Last Hill: Sorry can't do it. I'm toast. I've been beaten. I had to walk away. It felt good to
    > walk up this hill. This hill hasn't beaten me in 5 years. Well this time he owned me, after all he
    > had silly putty on his side this time.

    Great RR. I could feel the chill in me bones. As far as that last hill -- that's why they invented
    the 9 speed mega range cassette!! Move toward the light!

    Tom (fully geared and happy)

  3. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    > I couldn't have been more wrong. Sure there were some icy spots, but most everything else was mud,
    > the consistency of silly putty. For the most part there nothing wrong with that. You just need to
    > smooth out your stroke and watch your weight distribution on the hills and be prepared to carry
    > what feels like 10 lbs of extra weight.

    So its not just me. When I ride in mud it feels like the tires have lead in them.
    --
    Good... bad... I'm the one with the gun. Fredzep

  4. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Bill Wheeler wrote:

    > Well it was about 32 F with a good breeze blowing. I must say it felt refreshing. With the
    > overnight temps dipping below freezing I thought everything would be pretty much frozen on
    > the trails.
    >
    > I couldn't have been more wrong. Sure there were some icy spots, but most everything else was mud,
    > the consistency of silly putty. For the most part there nothing wrong with that. You just need to
    > smooth out your stroke and watch your weight distribution on the hills and be prepared to carry
    > what feels like 10 lbs of extra weight.

    > just in case I dabbed in a shallow stream. The ride home with icy feet can be a bit brutal on the
    > road. To my chagrin my SS won't fit on my Yakima rack WTF!? The disc brake mount is in the way of
    > the cross bar. (no longer have my truck with the rear wheel mount rack)

    Now that's a bummer.

    And you were expecting ________? heheh

    > Down In The Park: I mapped out a route that would take me over one stream and do a loop on the
    > Rockburn Branch Trail. As soon as I get in the woods I see my enemy, STANDING, UNFROZEN WATER,
    > aaaarg! Why is it always warmer in the woods? Going was slow, the MuntanoRaptors picked up the mud
    > and due to my speed didn't want to let it go. The trip in was good. I did have one hell of a time
    > keeping my line on the Belmont side. The mud was just about to freeze over giving it that silly
    > putty consistency. The bike was getting heavy. I looked down and could hardly see my front chain
    > ring. The silly putty was packed 4 inches up surrounding my BB and front part of my rear triangle.
    > I had virtually no clearance on my front fork. The top of the rear triangle was also packed and
    > beginning to ice over. No big deal I'm still going down hill.

    Nice. A little training weight.

    > Up And Out: I get to my destination and decide to clean off the bike before I head out. I had to
    > pick up a stick to poke and scrape off the silly putty. Here we go, time to get a good leg burn
    > in. I start up pretty tame hill. I can't put too much power to the rear and I really have to keep
    > my weight back. This can be pretty tricky while standing and mashing on an SS. 5 minutes or so go
    > by and my heart is about to pop. I can't figure out WTF is going on. I feel great physically but
    > it's hard going. I finally come to a downed log and this gives me a damn good excuse to stop and
    > take a breather. The bike is more full of mud than it was before I cleaned it the first time. As I
    > pick the bike up to get over the log it must have weight 40 pounds! A graphite seat post would
    > have come in handy about now ;-) After another cleaning I'm on my way.

    Peace. So now you know what riding a Huffy is like. (Except your bike didn't break first time out,
    of course.)

    > One Last Hill: Sorry can't do it. I'm toast. I've been beaten. I had to walk away. It felt good to
    > walk up this hill. This hill hasn't beaten me in 5 years. Well this time he owned me, after all he
    > had silly putty on his side this time.
    >
    > Road Trip Home: Friggin cold!

    It won't get better til it gets worse, but hey, at least you were in the saddle, right? Like ole
    Uncle Ned says, you can't look at climbing and hurting on a bike as pain, as if it was something
    evil to avoid, but rather it has to be embraced and enjoyed to the fullest. Sounds like you did it.

    Like my first ride in about 4-5 weeks, (Wed nt) and I took the SS out. I felt it in my lungs, my
    legs, my gut, my shoulders, my knees, but you know what, I was so happy to be alive, outside in the
    cold on my bike, nothing can take that away.

    btw saw LOTR/ROTK in a great theater. What an awesome movie...

    > Takin' my time Choosin' my lines Try'n' to decide what to do

    Seems to me....

    paladin

    > Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    > on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

  5. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well it was about 32 F with a good breeze blowing. I must say it felt refreshing. With the
    > overnight temps dipping below freezing I thought everything would be pretty much frozen on
    > the trails.

    Sounds like you had a rough time of it. I hate the mud. It's been about 3 1/2 weeks since I've been
    out riding. I hope to get out today and part of me is dreading it. The temps were in the teens last
    night so I'm hoping the mud is tamed.

    Marty

  6. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    <snip story>
    > btw saw LOTR/ROTK in a great theater. What an awesome movie...

    Argh!! Can't wait! Watched the extended #1 this weekend, can't wait to see extended #2. I need to go
    ahead, and buy that DVD player I keep putting off.

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

  8. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Mojo Deluxe found this in the back of the refrigerator:
    > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    > <snip story>
    >> btw saw LOTR/ROTK in a great theater. What an awesome movie...
    >>
    > Argh!! Can't wait! Watched the extended #1 this weekend, can't wait to see extended #2. I need to
    > go ahead, and buy that DVD player I keep putting off.

    heh heh, I am sure we'll be having a LOTR 1 & 2 marathon on our new HDTV theatre on xmas day, and
    then the boys will mostly likely follow up with Matrix one and two also...

    penny

  9. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "Mojo Deluxe" <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]

    > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    > <snip story>
    >> btw saw LOTR/ROTK in a great theater. What an awesome movie...
    >>
    > Argh!! Can't wait! Watched the extended #1 this weekend, can't wait to see extended #2. I need to
    > go ahead, and buy that DVD player I keep putting off.

    Showtime has been running both #1 (the extended version) followed by "On the Set(s) of both #2 and
    RotK, followed by T.T. Since A.M the 19th thru the 21st (today). Needless to say the T.V remote has
    been lost :)

  10. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mojo Deluxe found this in the back of the refrigerator:
    > > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > > <snip story>
    > >> btw saw LOTR/ROTK in a great theater. What an awesome movie...
    > >>
    > > Argh!! Can't wait! Watched the extended #1 this weekend, can't wait to see extended #2. I need
    > > to go ahead, and buy that DVD player I keep putting off.
    >
    > heh heh, I am sure we'll be having a LOTR 1 & 2 marathon on our new HDTV theatre on xmas day, and
    > then the boys will mostly likely follow up with Matrix one and two also...

    That's so cool! I'm still a few years away from getting HDTV....I need that DVD player first.

  11. Geedubb

    Geedubb Guest

    Penny S wrote:
    > Mojo Deluxe found this in the back of the refrigerator:
    >> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>>
    >> <snip story>
    >>> btw saw LOTR/ROTK in a great theater. What an awesome movie...
    >>>
    >> Argh!! Can't wait! Watched the extended #1 this weekend, can't wait to see extended #2. I need to
    >> go ahead, and buy that DVD player I keep putting off.
    >
    > heh heh, I am sure we'll be having a LOTR 1 & 2 marathon on our new HDTV theatre on xmas day, and
    > then the boys will mostly likely follow up with Matrix one and two also...
    >
    > penny

    The problem with HDTV is the limited number of viewing options at this point in time. DVD does not
    broadcast in HD, it's still only 480 lines (though I'm impressed with the picture quality but it's
    not 1080 by any means) unless I've missed the wagon on what's new in HDTV. Satelite HD costs extra
    and often extra for each channel on top of what it costs for the satellite hook up.

    Penny, can you elaborate on the system?

    I'm still not quite sure why ESPN has an HD channel. I'm sure someone here will explain it to
    me...please be somewhat nice. <g> Maybe for an awesome endo in some pro xc race?

    Gary

  12. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Mojo Deluxe" <[email protected]> had this to say
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    > > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > > <snip story>
    > >> btw saw LOTR/ROTK in a great theater. What an awesome movie...
    > >>
    > > Argh!! Can't wait! Watched the extended #1 this weekend, can't wait to see extended #2. I need
    > > to go ahead, and buy that DVD player I keep putting off.
    >

    > Showtime has been running both #1 (the extended version) followed by "On the Set(s) of both #2 and
    > RotK, followed by T.T. Since A.M the 19th thru the 21st (today). Needless to say the T.V remote
    > has been lost :)

    Yep, same thing for Starz. Of course TT, they are showing is the regular version since it's just
    been released in the extended version in the stores.

  13. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "Mojo Deluxe" <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> "Mojo Deluxe" <[email protected]> had this to say
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>

    >> > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> >>
    >> > <snip story>
    >> >>
    >> > Argh!! Can't wait! Watched the extended #1 this weekend, can't wait to see extended #2. I need
    >> > to go ahead, and buy that DVD player I keep putting off.
    >>

    >> Showtime has been running both #1 (the extended version) followed by "On the Set(s) of both #2
    >> and RotK, followed by T.T. Since A.M the 19th thru the 21st (today). Needless to say the T.V
    >> remote has been lost :)
    >
    > Yep, same thing for Starz. Of course TT, they are showing is the regular version since it's just
    > been released in the extended version in the stores.

    oh, my bad. It is Starz.

  14. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:00:59 -0800, Penny S <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Mojo Deluxe found this in the back of the refrigerator:
    >> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>>
    >> <snip story>
    >>> btw saw LOTR/ROTK in a great theater. What an awesome movie...
    >>>
    >> Argh!! Can't wait! Watched the extended #1 this weekend, can't wait to see extended #2. I need to
    >> go ahead, and buy that DVD player I keep putting off.
    >
    > heh heh, I am sure we'll be having a LOTR 1 & 2 marathon on our new HDTV theatre on xmas day, and
    > then the boys will mostly likely follow up with Matrix one and two also...
    >
    > penny

    I couldn't sit there that long. If you have the extended versions of LOTR, that's about 8 hours
    right there.

    --
    Bob M in CT remove 'x.' to reply

  15. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:56:05 -0700, GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Penny S wrote:
    >> Mojo Deluxe found this in the back of the refrigerator:
    >>> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>>>
    >>> <snip story>
    >>>>
    >>> Argh!! Can't wait! Watched the extended #1 this weekend, can't wait to see extended #2. I need
    >>> to go ahead, and buy that DVD player I keep putting off.
    >>
    >> heh heh, I am sure we'll be having a LOTR 1 & 2 marathon on our new HDTV theatre on xmas day, and
    >> then the boys will mostly likely follow up with Matrix one and two also...
    >>
    >> penny
    >
    > The problem with HDTV is the limited number of viewing options at this point in time. DVD does not
    > broadcast in HD, it's still only 480 lines (though I'm impressed with the picture quality but it's
    > not 1080 by any means) unless I've missed the wagon on what's new in HDTV. Satelite HD costs extra
    > and often extra for each channel on top of what it costs for the satellite hook up.
    >
    > Penny, can you elaborate on the system?
    >
    > I'm still not quite sure why ESPN has an HD channel. I'm sure someone here will explain it to
    > me...please be somewhat nice. <g> Maybe for an awesome endo in some pro xc race?
    >
    > Gary

    Did you see the US Open (tennis) in HD? It was amazing. When they went back to the regular 480i, it
    looked like crap.

    I have a 57 inch HDTV, and I can't tell much of a difference between progressive scan DVD and 1080i.
    There's a difference, sure, but progressive scan (480p) DVD looks great. Now, my HDTV only has 7
    inch CRTs, so maybe you'll notice more on a TV with 9 inch CRTs. I haven't seen 720p, as I'd have to
    have it converted to 1080i.

    --
    Bob M in CT remove 'x.' to reply

  16. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 21 Dec 2003 08:02:45 -0800, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
    >> Takin' my time Choosin' my lines Try'n' to decide what to do
    >
    >Nice,
    >
    >JD Walsh

    I figure someone would make the connexion

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

  17. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:58:55 -0700, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Peace. So now you know what riding a Huffy is like. (Except your bike didn't break first time out,
    >of course.)

    I'm sure some of my first bikes were Huffies. Good for building leg strength ;-)

    >It won't get better til it gets worse, but hey, at least you were in the saddle, right? Like ole
    >Uncle Ned says, you can't look at climbing and hurting on a bike as pain, as if it was something
    >evil to avoid, but rather it has to be embraced and enjoyed to the fullest. Sounds like you did it.

    Hell yes, I embrace every minute just thinking about those trails!

    >Like my first ride in about 4-5 weeks, (Wed nt) and I took the SS out. I felt it in my lungs, my
    >legs, my gut, my shoulders, my knees, but you know what, I was so happy to be alive, outside in the
    >cold on my bike, nothing can take that away.
    >
    >btw saw LOTR/ROTK in a great theater. What an awesome movie...

    I'm seeing it tomorrow. After reading the books 3 or 4 times and various other writings I can't wait
    to see it the picture does it justice.

    >> Takin' my time Choosin' my lines Try'n' to decide what to do
    >>

    >Seems to me....
    >
    >paladin

    Another one who makes the connexion!

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

  18. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:54:26 -0500, "tcmedara"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Great RR. I could feel the chill in me bones. As far as that last hill -- that's why they invented
    >the 9 speed mega range cassette!! Move toward the light!

    Do you mean "Move toward the Hype?"...Been there, it made me sick.

    >Tom (fully geared and happy)

    You don't know happiness until you experience SS.

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

  19. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 21 Dec 2003 05:12:47 -0800, [email protected] (Marty) wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Well it was about 32 F with a good breeze blowing. I must say it felt refreshing. With the
    >> overnight temps dipping below freezing I thought everything would be pretty much frozen on the
    >> trails.
    >

    >Sounds like you had a rough time of it. I hate the mud. It's been about 3 1/2 weeks since I've been
    >out riding. I hope to get out today and part of me is dreading it. The temps were in the teens last
    >night so I'm hoping the mud is tamed.
    >
    >Marty

    Enjoy Marty enjoy!

    Peace, Bill ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and
    on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

  20. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:54:26 -0500, "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > Do you mean "Move toward the Hype?"...Been there, it made me sick.

    Yeah, there really isn't much difference between an 8 and a 9 around where I live. I did appreciate
    that 22/34 combo a few times when I was in Moab in Oct, though. I haven't been on singlespeed since
    I was about ten years old, and something tells me it would probably be a somewhat different
    experience today.

    The health effects of geared cycling have luckily been mostly positive in my experience. I must
    admit to being a bit intrigued by the whole SS concept. The basic simplicity is attractive. I've
    been toying with the idea of re-rigging the old HT as a SS machine, but I'd really like to try a few
    real rides on one first before I start tearing anything apart.

    Will the SS cult allow for part timers, or is it an "all or nothing" proposition? :)

    Tom