RR weather weeenie no more

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., May 5, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    First off all, I am learning how to not be a weather weenie. Sure means I get a lot more riding in.
    Friend Carl picked Craig and I up to head over to Beacon for some Sunday afternoon fun. It had been
    sprinkling off and on all day, but maybe was breaking up and so what, take a shell and go anyway.

    I've upgraded the hubby's Specialized M2 comp with a Bomber fork and a suspension seat post, and
    he's working playing on bikes back into the program we've been going out more together. Carl is a
    former ice climber who took a 60' fall a few years ago and had a full hip replacement among other
    body repairs, and is coming along just fine.

    So what about the weather? We got to the top, and not only did it start to sprinkle, but hail too...
    1/4" pellets! Piling up on the ground! Ride or head for the trees... ride of course, that's what
    shells and helmets are for. It doesn't let up. I slow way down.. we're headed downhill on the XC
    Beacon Bomber course and the trail surface feels really different and I don't know this section
    well. It's really coming down, and I feel like a bone head... have to take glasses off to see, trail
    is slick, and then.. whoa.. Carl leads us onto a new section I haven't seen before... narrow, wet
    rocks, wet pine needles, slick, ... aagh... bonehead to the max.. I get off and walk this because I
    just can't cope. I am not used to wet trails. I think about NE riders and this is what they get? I'm
    also chilled, but get even wetter in the process of adding a layer under my soaked shell ( water
    resistant, not water proof)

    The wet sandy soil makes for a really interesting trail surface. As we climb back to the top of the
    ridge it dawns on me that this is what beach riding must feel like. Push, push.... lots of work. In
    places the granite looks like "not fun" where we would normally play on the smooth surfaced
    boulders. Back up on top, finally it's quitting and we get great views of sheets of rain on the
    other side of the valley, beautiful light but alas no rainbows.

    I've decided that I need to look for a new rear tire... I just don't like the way it handles
    especially in the wet, but I've been noticing a slipping tendency anyway. I lusted after disc brakes
    for a few minutes too. But the best moment was realizing that this was the first ride I've even been
    on with my honey, and just had fun; wasn't worried at all about keeping up, or being good enough, or
    any of those other negative tapes that play in my head some times. This is exciting for me, a real
    bonus and gives me something to look forward too this summer.

    I was so dirty... I've never been this utterly dirt covered from a ride in my life. It doesn't help
    that I tipped over onto the trail in my yellow shell ( clips full of mud and sand) and got coated
    with grit and pine needles on one side. Mud on my face, my legs are coated, I am soaked... I got
    dibs on the first shower by offering to clean the bikes if hubby unladed them...

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > I've decided that I need to look for a new rear tire... I just don't like the way it handles
    > especially in the wet, but I've been noticing a
    slipping
    > tendency anyway. I lusted after disc brakes for a few minutes too. But
    the
    > best moment was realizing that this was the first ride I've even been on with my honey, and just
    > had fun; wasn't worried at all about keeping up,
    or
    > being good enough, or any of those other negative tapes that play in my head some times. This is
    > exciting for me, a real bonus and gives me something to look forward too this summer.

    Try lowering the air pressure in the tire some more when things get slippery. (A little tip from an
    east coaster!)

    Good on you and your man. ;^)

    > I was so dirty... I've never been this utterly dirt covered from a ride in my life. It doesn't
    > help that I tipped over onto the trail in my yellow shell ( clips full of mud and sand) and got
    > coated with grit and pine needles on one side. Mud on my face, my legs are coated, I am soaked...
    > got dibs on the first shower by offering to clean the bikes if hubby unladed them...
    >
    > Penny

    Ahhhh...life is good! Shared hardship can be very bonding.

    Mike