RR: Weekend with More at Douthat State Park

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Michael Dart, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In keeping with my new years resolution to get a mountain bike club going again in the Richmond
    area I spent last weekend at the board meeting of the Mid-atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts or MORE
    for short. It was held at Douthat State Park in Virginia. It is probably one of the best
    mountain bike destinations in the state. Miles of smooth buff trails built in the 1930's by the
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) nestled in a valley near Clifton Forge VA some with nearly
    2000 foot climbs.

    http://www.more-mtb.org

    On my way out of Richmond on Friday my !#$% truck overheated (Stuck thermostat) on the first hill
    out of town. I turned back and determined to go I stopped at a rental agency to pick up a minivan
    for the trip. I arrived just in time to participate in a very interesting mountain bike board game
    brought back from New Zealand by David Scull one of the Maryland members of More, the game is called
    Karapoti after a XC race course there.

    http://www.mountainbike.co.nz/boardgame/thegame.html

    It was a hoot to play and nearly simulated the trials and tribulations of a XC race. It was a good
    wau for me to get to know some of the folks I hadn't met before.

    On Saturday the morning was spent in meetings, after a pancake breakfast, until about noon. Chris
    Scott the Virginia state IMBA rep and Rich Edwards former IMBA trail care crew member and now IMBA
    trail builder expert arrived then. The meeting was adjourned for lunch and a afternoon ride. We
    started off and it was a beautiful day 32deg F bright and sunny. Here is a 3D map of the park and
    the race course for the Middle Mountain Momma XC race.

    http://www.mountainbikevirginia.com/3D%20momma%20map.htm

    We rode the right side of the course from the lake up to Mountain Side trail to Upper and Lower
    Brushy Hollow trail. All of which is beautiful full bench cut into the mountain side. Lower Brushy
    Hollow is one of the greatest downhill rewards for a climb that I have ever experienced in Virginia.
    It is 3.5 miles of downhill fun starting out with several tight switchbacks. You need to keep and
    eye on the trail rising up to meet you to clue you where the turn is. It then runs into a valley
    starting with some bermed turns then drops in a creek bed and just flies along with great sight
    lines, a couple quick stream crossings ending with a big compression dip you can catch air off the
    lip on. Whoooooo Hoooooo!!!!! Some of us decided to continue up Stony Run trail which crosses Stony
    Run Creek several times. The first crossing normally is a 15 foot wide water crossing. At these
    temps water is considerably stiffer than usual. I sized up the frozen crossing and decided if I kept
    my speed up I could shoot across to the gentle transition to the bank on the other side. BIG
    mistake! IRC Seracs have zero traction on ice and I went down hard. Bruised but relatively unhurt I
    tended to my bike which had a bent derailleur hanger which I tweaked back to working. Oh well.
    Shelia made a similar attempt and comically tripod-ed across the ice with one foot down. Scott made
    a similar attempt as myself against my warnings with the same result except he landed on his left
    side bruising his pride and bending his disc rotor.

    After the ride was again spent in meetings interrupted by a big pasta dinner cooked by Scott. After
    dinner I was allowed to lay out my proposal for expanding the club to Richmond which was met by much
    enthusiasm. For right now I'm to encourage Richmond area riders to join More, lead rides and do
    trailwork. Hopefully we will grow to the point to create our own chapter with the benefits of More's
    insurance coverage and tax exempt status. MORE hopes to be able to grow enough to fill the gap
    between NEMBA in New England and SORBA to the south. They are well on their way. They are currently
    situated near Washington DC and have access to many politicians who make policy for the whole
    country. People who make policy on Wilderness access and other decisions affecting our sport are
    within easy access to them. I am situated in our states capital and have access to people who make
    policy for our state. I think it will be a good fit. It just going to take working out some
    logistical details. But the internet has made the world smaller and if I can chat with some Northern
    Tosspot in England, then heck, northern Virginia isn't a far reach at all. ;^)

    Sunday weatherwise was a repeat of Saturday ( a bit warmer 34deg F) The board was finalizing details
    of the meeting, delegating responsibilities etc. I discovered Dave (who brought the game) was headed
    out for a early ride and I decided to go with him. We were joined by Shelia. We started out by a
    climb of Tobbaco House ridge trail. Then up Blue Suck Falls (Hey I don't name 'em) trail all the way
    to the falls. From there we went on down to the 'middle' trails on the mountain and back to get
    cleaned up and packed to leave.

    Pics at http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/more_at_douthat Check out the panorama. Yeah, they're old and
    worn down mountains but still beautiful.

    All in all I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Good friends, good weather, and good
    riding. I am really excited about some of the access issues in Virginia and participating in them
    in my own back yard. If any riders in Central Virginia want to join MORE feel free to email me
    direct to let me know.

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

> [...]
    > was headed out for a early ride and I decided to go with him. We were joined by Shelia. We started
    > out by a climb of Tobbaco House ridge trail. Then up Blue Suck Falls (Hey
    > don't name 'em) trail all the way to the falls. From there we went on
    down
    > to the 'middle' trails on the mountain and back to get cleaned up and
    packed
    > to leave.
    >
    > Pics at http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/more_at_douthat Check out the
    panorama.
    > Yeah, they're old and worn down mountains but still beautiful.
    >
    > All in all I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Good friends, good weather, and good
    > riding. I am really excited about some of the access issues in Virginia and participating in
    > them in my own back yard. If any riders in Central Virginia want to join MORE feel free to email

    Fantastic stuff Michael.

    Thanks for the post, it was a great read.

    Lance

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Excellant work bro !!!