RR: Welcome, dirt

Carla A-G

Guest
After nearly 3 months off the bike due to an illness that I
had and injuries that Jim had, we finally felt good enough
and had the opportunity to go and hit the dirt.

We packed the SS's and went to Calverton (the ultimate SS
trail around here). We rode a loop, something like 12 miles
or so. I flat out got my ass kicked. For a trail that we
usually do quickly and without problems, it was tougher than
I had expected after coming back to it after such a long
stint off the bike. The trail was in relatively good
condition considering the bad winter that we had experienced
down here. There were a couple of moist spots in some
corners. We did notice that the trail was beginning to get
considerably wider since the last time we were here. It
seems that people (aka Barneys) had been riding it to hell.
So much for tight and windy "singletrack". I got home, had a
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and passed out from
exhaustion...

Next day...

We went to Bethpage in hopes of getting a simple recovery
ride, nothing crazy, just to loosen up the legs. We packed
the SS's and rode into the trail and discovered that it was
too moist and muddy to ride. We refused to aid in the
destruction of the trail so we got out and rode the paved
bicycle path instead. It was a little odd riding the paved
bicycle path with our SS's, but it was better than nothing.

It seems that most of the trails are not rideable yet, most
are still in the thawing process, so we'll be riding our
fixed gear track bikes until they're ready.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:

> We went to Bethpage in hopes of getting a simple recovery
> ride, nothing crazy, just to loosen up the legs. We packed
> the SS's and rode into the trail and discovered that it
> was too moist and muddy to ride. We refused to aid in the
> destruction of the trail so we got out and rode the paved
> bicycle path instead. It was a little odd riding the paved
> bicycle path with our SS's, but it was better than
> nothing.

> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Sounds like fun, dirt after it has been a while is always a
joy. I have to ask, recovery ride on a SS? Sounds tuff to
me, though I guess it depends on the trail.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sounds like fun, dirt after it has been a while is always
> a joy. I have to ask, recovery ride on a SS? Sounds tuff
> to me, though I guess it depends on the trail.

Bethpage State park is relatively flat. We consider it more
of a recovery ride than a challenge.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:
> After nearly 3 months off the bike due to an illness that
> I had and injuries that Jim had, we finally felt good
> enough and had the opportunity to go and hit the dirt.

<snip>

Cool! I'm sure the dirt missed you too. I also long for
dirt. The snow's melting pretty fast so I have hope for the
coming weeks. For now I'm a skier and a roadie. Better than
just getting fat and bored!

Welcome back!

Matt

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:40:06 -0500, "Carla A-G"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>After nearly 3 months off the bike due to an illness that I
>had and injuries that Jim had, we finally felt good enough
>and had the opportunity to go and hit the dirt.

Glad you're both better.

>I flat out got my ass kicked.

Is it me or is that irony?

>For a trail that we usually do quickly and without
>problems, it was tougher than I had expected after coming
>back to it after such a long stint off the bike. The trail
>was in relatively good condition considering the bad winter
>that we had experienced down here. There were a couple of
>moist spots in some corners. We did notice that the trail
>was beginning to get considerably wider since the last time
>we were here. It seems that people (aka Barneys) had been
>riding it to hell. So much for tight and windy
>"singletrack". I got home, had a Brooklyn Black Chocolate
>Stout and passed out from exhaustion...
>
>Next day...
>
>We went to Bethpage in hopes of getting a simple recovery
>ride, nothing crazy, just to loosen up the legs. We packed
>the SS's and rode into the trail and discovered that it was
>too moist and muddy to ride. We refused to aid in the
>destruction of the trail so we got out and rode the paved
>bicycle path instead. It was a little odd riding the paved
>bicycle path with our SS's, but it was better than nothing.
>
>It seems that most of the trails are not rideable yet, most
>are still in the thawing process, so we'll be riding our
>fixed gear track bikes until they're ready.

Nice way to hold back on trail damage....there was a time
when I would have said "Fvck it, it's only me, what possible
damage can I do?" Live and learn.

>- CA-G
>
>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass
rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an
immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> After nearly 3 months off the bike due to an illness that
> I had and injuries that Jim had, we finally felt good
> enough and had the opportunity to go and hit the dirt.
>
> We packed the SS's and went to Calverton (the ultimate SS
> trail around here). We rode a loop, something like 12
> miles or so. I flat out got my ass kicked. For a trail
> that we usually do quickly and without problems, it was
> tougher than I had expected after coming back to it after
> such a long stint off the bike. The trail was in
> relatively good condition considering the bad winter that
> we had experienced down here. There were a couple of moist
> spots in some corners. We did notice that the trail was
> beginning to get considerably wider since the last time we
> were here. It seems that people (aka Barneys) had been
> riding it to hell. So much for tight and windy
> "singletrack". I got home, had a Brooklyn Black Chocolate
> Stout and passed out from exhaustion...
>
> Next day...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Aint that just the truth? Stuff I used to do twice without
thinking almost killed me after 3 mos+ off the bike due to
our industrial-strength winter.

paladin

On 2004-03-15, Dave W penned:
> "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> had this to say
> news:[email protected]
>

>> It seems that most of the trails are not rideable yet,
>> most are still in the thawing process, so we'll be riding
>> our fixed gear track bikes until they're ready.
>>
>> - CA-G
>>
>> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>>

> Sorry to hear that, perhap you can come enjoy some
> of ours:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?act-
> ion=showMyPhoto&al
> bumID=125623130&photoID=125624412&security=qhIfGi

This is a place where tinyurl.com would be appropriate.

Anyhoo, I can't get to the pic:

An error has occurred.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album. Make sure
you are logged in.

--
monique

"Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> On 2004-03-15, Dave W penned:
>> "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> had this to say
>> news:[email protected]
>>

>>> It seems that most of the trails are not rideable yet,
>>> most are still in the thawing process, so we'll be
>>> riding our fixed gear track bikes until they're ready.
>>>
>>> - CA-G
>>>
>>> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>>>

>> Sorry to hear that, perhap you can come enjoy some
>> of ours:
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?ac-
>> tion=showMyPho to&al
>> bumID=125623130&photoID=125624412&security=qhIfGi
>
> This is a place where tinyurl.com would be appropriate.
>
> Anyhoo, I can't get to the pic:
>
> An error has occurred.
>
> You do not appear to be the owner of this album. Make sure
> you are logged in.

um, sorry bout that. See the "I love Monday" thread.

Dave (whoops!)