Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: White Tanks Arizona

Started by Michael Dart · · Last activity · 2 posts · 291 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
8 February 2005
Last activity
8 February 2005
Original author
Michael Dart
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
291
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Had the day off and after catching up on expense reports, etc. I headed off
    to the west to ride the race loop at White Tanks. I was in a hurry and
    forgot my camera. I am really sorry I did, it's such a beautiful place.
    With so much wet weather lately there was an abundance of purple and yellow
    flowers. The sunset over the mountains was just astounding. I know it's
    cliche but I wanted a pic of it just the same. I was pretty cooked from
    riding SoMo all weekend but wanted to get in a spin and not waste a day off.
    My friends back home are relegated to riding fireroads due to all the wet
    crappy winter weather VA has been getting.

    The course started on a rough widetrack climb. Things got better on the
    tech loop where the trail narrowed to a skinny single track twisting through
    the cactus. I had to pull off some fancy body english in a couple spots to
    keep from getting skewered! Dropped off the tech loop onto the main trail
    where I saw a switchback climb coming up. Some reddish brown animal crossed
    the trail ahead of me, could've been a deer but I didn't see it again. Up
    the switch backs (Ow! My legs!!), over the saddle and down. Whoo Hoo!!!
    Then came the rock. I'd seen endo pics of it and hesitated on it. I
    could've hucked off it (a two foot drop) but decided to try down to the
    right. Dammit! I wound up in a tangled heap in an ungainly dismount,
    another kitten dead! Should've gone for the huck but I was all alone out
    there and didn't want to risk serious injury. A fast fun cruise back to the
    parking lot and done. I hung out in the absolute quiet of the Sonoran
    desert and took in the sunset. Beautiful.

    Just drinkin' it all in.

    Mike

  2. "Up the switchbacks, over the saddle and down..." to Grandmother's house
    we go! LOL

    Great times indeed, dude. I remember I went with my girlfriend on a
    short loop at Cathedral Pines and low and behold a ten point buck just
    stood there and watched us pass him by from 20 feet away. It was like
    he was waiting for a bus, his eyes just stayed with us until we were out
    of sight. I love nature and the animals. It can be a surreal
    experience at times.

    Peace.

    David R Marlborough
    DJ Mackelicious
    http://walkingwounded.blogspot.com/

    Michael Dart said:

    Had the day off and after catching up on expense reports, etc. I headed off
    to the west to ride the race loop at White Tanks. I was in a hurry and
    forgot my camera. I am really sorry I did, it's such a beautiful place.
    With so much wet weather lately there was an abundance of purple and yellow
    flowers. The sunset over the mountains was just astounding. I know it's
    cliche but I wanted a pic of it just the same. I was pretty cooked from
    riding SoMo all weekend but wanted to get in a spin and not waste a day off.
    My friends back home are relegated to riding fireroads due to all the wet
    crappy winter weather VA has been getting.

    The course started on a rough widetrack climb. Things got better on the
    tech loop where the trail narrowed to a skinny single track twisting through
    the cactus. I had to pull off some fancy body english in a couple spots to
    keep from getting skewered! Dropped off the tech loop onto the main trail
    where I saw a switchback climb coming up. Some reddish brown animal crossed
    the trail ahead of me, could've been a deer but I didn't see it again. Up
    the switch backs (Ow! My legs!!), over the saddle and down. Whoo Hoo!!!
    Then came the rock. I'd seen endo pics of it and hesitated on it. I
    could've hucked off it (a two foot drop) but decided to try down to the
    right. Dammit! I wound up in a tangled heap in an ungainly dismount,
    another kitten dead! Should've gone for the huck but I was all alone out
    there and didn't want to risk serious injury. A fast fun cruise back to the
    parking lot and done. I hung out in the absolute quiet of the Sonoran
    desert and took in the sunset. Beautiful.

    Just drinkin' it all in.

    Mike

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.