RR: Why I Love My Biaaatch!...AKA MORE SS HYPE!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Wheeler, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    Yes, I realize that some my find the term "Biaaaatch" offensive, but it really doesn't matter
    now, does it.

    I'm referring to my Bianchi DISS . It is such a sweet bike.

    1. Matt Black
    2. No frills
    3. Phaaaaat @ss tyres <== I think that's what you Brits call them
    4. Discs front and back.
    5. Fully rigid (heh, heh, heh I said "rigid" heh, heh, heh)
    6. light as hell!
    7. Maneuverable, I must say completely and utterly, ultimately, maneuverable!

    Do you realize the complete and utter joy that I get when I pass someone on a fully cushed-out,
    $2500 rig going up a hill? No, I don't think you do, unless of course you are one of the "chosen".
    Yes, SSer's are among the chosen few MTBers who've gone back to the basics.

    Now there's a phrase that says it all "Back to the basics"

    Let's break that phrase down a bit.

    Back: Back in the day we all learned to ride on an SS: Sweet & Simple Single Speed. I bet you can
    recall the smile on your face when those training wheels came off and you were finally FREE! Free to
    do what you want to do, ride to the far side of the neighborhood, ride up a hill, ride over curbs,
    ride wheelies, ride fast, slow....all on your new SS.

    Basics: What more does one need? Once your basic needs as a human being are fulfilled you can expand
    in all directions, but you must first fulfill those "basic needs".

    I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

    Tags:

  2. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:05:36 -0400, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now there's a phrase that says it all "Back to the basics"
    >
    >Let's break that phrase down a bit.
    >
    >Back: Back in the day we all learned to ride on an SS: Sweet & Simple Single Speed. I bet you can
    >recall the smile on your face when those training wheels came off and you were finally FREE! Free
    >to do what you want to do, ride to the far side of the neighborhood, ride up a hill, ride over
    >curbs, ride wheelies, ride fast, slow....all on your new SS.

    I was like 4. I got over it quick.

    >Basics: What more does one need? Once your basic needs as a human being are fulfilled you can
    >expand in all directions, but you must first fulfill those "basic needs".

    Not with a ss ya can't. Your just trying to regain your lost youth. Good luck to ya....you'll not
    find it there.

    >I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    >
    >Peace, Bill

    I'm sorry, do you two want to be alone?

    Then get a freakin room already.....

  3. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

  4. ----------
    In article <[email protected]>, Bill Wheeler
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yes, I realize that some my find the term "Biaaaatch" offensive, but it really doesn't matter now,
    > does it.
    >
    > I'm referring to my Bianchi DISS . It is such a sweet bike.
    >
    > 1. Matt Black
    > 2. No frills
    > 3. Phaaaaat @ss tyres <== I think that's what you Brits call them
    > 4. Discs front and back.
    > 5. Fully rigid (heh, heh, heh I said "rigid" heh, heh, heh)
    > 6. light as hell!
    > 7. Maneuverable, I must say completely and utterly, ultimately, maneuverable!
    >
    > Do you realize the complete and utter joy that I get when I pass someone on a fully cushed-out,
    > $2500 rig going up a hill? No, I don't think you do, unless of course you are one of the "chosen".
    > Yes, SSer's are among the chosen few MTBers who've gone back to the basics.
    >
    > Now there's a phrase that says it all "Back to the basics"
    >
    > Let's break that phrase down a bit.
    >
    > Back: Back in the day we all learned to ride on an SS: Sweet & Simple Single Speed. I bet you can
    > recall the smile on your face when those training wheels came off and you were finally FREE! Free
    > to do what you want to do, ride to the far side of the neighborhood, ride up a hill, ride over
    > curbs, ride wheelies, ride fast, slow....all on your new SS.
    >
    > Basics: What more does one need? Once your basic needs as a human being are fulfilled you can
    > expand in all directions, but you must first fulfill those "basic needs".
    >
    > I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    >
    > Peace, Bill
    >

    > The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    > give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    So hows the ss working out for you anyhow?

  5. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > Yes, I realize that some my find the term "Biaaaatch" offensive, but it really doesn't matter now,
    > does it.
    >
    > I'm referring to my Bianchi DISS . It is such a sweet bike.
    >
    > 1. Matt Black
    > 2. No frills
    > 3. Phaaaaat @ss tyres <== I think that's what you Brits call them
    > 4. Discs front and back.
    > 5. Fully rigid (heh, heh, heh I said "rigid" heh, heh, heh)
    > 6. light as hell!
    > 7. Maneuverable, I must say completely and utterly, ultimately, maneuverable!
    >
    > Do you realize the complete and utter joy that I get when I pass someone on a fully cushed-out,
    > $2500 rig going up a hill? No, I don't think you do, unless of course you are one of the "chosen".
    > Yes, SSer's are among the chosen few MTBers who've gone back to the basics.
    >
    > Now there's a phrase that says it all "Back to the basics"
    >
    > Let's break that phrase down a bit.
    >
    > Back: Back in the day we all learned to ride on an SS: Sweet & Simple Single Speed. I bet you can
    > recall the smile on your face when those training wheels came off and you were finally FREE! Free
    > to do what you want to do, ride to the far side of the neighborhood, ride up a hill, ride over
    > curbs, ride wheelies, ride fast, slow....all on your new SS.
    >
    > Basics: What more does one need? Once your basic needs as a human being are fulfilled you can
    > expand in all directions, but you must first fulfill those "basic needs".
    >
    > I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    >
    > Peace, Bill

    You poor sick deluded man.
    --
    Westie ;-) "Life is what happens while you're planning to do other things"

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yes, I realize that some my find the term "Biaaaatch" offensive, but it really doesn't matter now,
    > does it.
    >
    > I'm referring to my Bianchi DISS . It is such a sweet bike.
    >
    > 1. Matt Black
    > 2. No frills
    > 3. Phaaaaat @ss tyres <== I think that's what you Brits call them

    No, that would be 'fat arsed tyres', and it's [tyres] not just what we call them, it's what
    they _are_.

    <snipped some ego trip crap>

    > Now there's a phrase that says it all "Back to the basics"
    >
    > Let's break that phrase down a bit.
    >
    > Back: Back in the day we all learned to ride on an SS:

    Nope - my first bike was a little 3 speed.

    > Sweet & Simple Single Speed.

    3 speed.

    > I bet you can recall the smile on your face when those training wheels came off and you were
    > finally FREE!

    I was 4 years old, and I had no training wheels.

    > Free to do what you want to do, ride to the far side of the neighborhood, ride up a hill, ride
    > over curbs, ride wheelies, ride fast, slow....all on your new SS.

    3 speed.

    > Basics: What more does one need? Once your basic needs as a human being are fulfilled

    Food, water, warmth (shelter) - that's it.

    > you can expand in all directions,

    That's too much food.

    > but you must first fulfill those "basic needs".
    >
    > I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.

    Nobody can help you Bill - you are blinded to basic reality by your own hype.

    Shaun aRe

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:31:04 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><snipped some ego trip crap>

    Rimmie, Rimmie, Rimmie. SS is totally Id driven.

    >Nope - my first bike was a little 3 speed.

    You're such a hard ass.

    >I was 4 years old, and I had no training wheels.

    Aye! both my kids were riding by 4 w/out trainers.

    >> I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    >
    >Nobody can help you Bill - you are blinded to basic reality by your own hype.

    It must be a relief being blind...no unnecessary distractions.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  8. Josh

    Josh Guest

    > 4. Discs front and back.
    >
    > Now there's a phrase that says it all "Back to the basics"
    >
    > Let's break that phrase down a bit.
    >
    > Back: Back in the day we all learned to ride on an SS: Sweet & Simple Single Speed. I bet you can
    > recall the smile on your face when those training wheels came off and you were finally FREE! Free
    > to do what you want to do, ride to the far side of the neighborhood, ride up a hill, ride over
    > curbs, ride wheelies, ride fast, slow....all on your new SS.
    >
    > Basics: What more does one need? Once your basic needs as a human being are fulfilled you can
    > expand in all directions, but you must first fulfill those "basic needs".

    If you were truly getting 'back to the basics' you'd have a coaster brake instead of disc's.

  9. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Yes, I realize that some my find the term "Biaaaatch" offensive, but it really doesn't matter now,
    > does it.
    >
    > I'm referring to my Bianchi DISS . It is such a sweet bike.
    >
    > 1. Matt Black
    > 2. No frills
    > 3. Phaaaaat @ss tyres <== I think that's what you Brits call them
    > 4. Discs front and back.
    > 5. Fully rigid (heh, heh, heh I said "rigid" heh, heh, heh)
    > 6. light as hell!
    > 7. Maneuverable, I must say completely and utterly, ultimately, maneuverable!

    <snip the love letter>

    > I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    >
    > Peace, Bill
    >

    > The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    > give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > :-]

    We meet Monday and Thursday nights. You can sit by me: "Hi, my name is Bill, and I have a
    singlespeed." All together, now group: "Hi Bill, welcome to singlespeeds anonymous."

    We'll work the 12 steps together. G-Man's leading a group, as are Anthony, Corvus, the Freak, we're
    all there....

    Paladin

  10. Bill Wheeler wrote:

    >I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    >
    >Peace, Bill

    I understand. What I love is the rapidly emerging knee-jerk anti-singlespeed establishment.

    " We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. We wanna be free to ride. We wanna be free to ride our
    machines without being hassled by The Man! ... And we wanna get loaded."

    A (getting ready to Monkey around this very evening...)

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Anthony Sloan wrote:
    > Bill Wheeler wrote:
    >

    >> I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    >>
    >> Peace, Bill
    >>

    > I understand. What I love is the rapidly emerging knee-jerk anti-singlespeed establishment.

    perhaps just tweaking the nose of those who appear to have gotten religion in the form of one gear?
    ( and are as obnoxious as any prostelyzer (sp?) ....)

    Penny

  12. Penny S. wrote:

    >Anthony Sloan wrote:
    >

    >>Bill Wheeler wrote:
    >>

    >>>I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    >>>
    >>>Peace, Bill
    >>>

    >>I understand. What I love is the rapidly emerging knee-jerk anti-singlespeed establishment.
    >>

    >perhaps just tweaking the nose of those who appear to have gotten religion in the form of one gear?
    >( and are as obnoxious as any prostelyzer (sp?) ....)
    >
    >Penny

    Hmm. You haven't had bible thumpers on your doorstep in a while, I see. As obnoxious as any
    proselytizer? Nix.

    Let the boy derive some joy from his bike.

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Yes, I realize that some my find the term "Biaaaatch" offensive, but it really doesn't matter
    > > now, does it.
    > >
    > > I'm referring to my Bianchi DISS . It is such a sweet bike.
    > >
    > > 1. Matt Black
    > > 2. No frills
    > > 3. Phaaaaat @ss tyres <== I think that's what you Brits call them
    > > 4. Discs front and back.
    > > 5. Fully rigid (heh, heh, heh I said "rigid" heh, heh, heh)
    > > 6. light as hell!
    > > 7. Maneuverable, I must say completely and utterly, ultimately, maneuverable!
    > >
    > <snip the love letter>
    > >
    > > I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    > >
    > > Peace, Bill
    > >

    > > The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
    > > give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    > > :-]
    >
    > We meet Monday and Thursday nights. You can sit by me: "Hi, my name is Bill, and I have a
    > singlespeed." All together, now group: "Hi Bill, welcome to singlespeeds anonymous."
    >
    > We'll work the 12 steps together. G-Man's leading a group, as are Anthony, Corvus, the Freak,
    > we're all there....
    >

    > Paladin

    Hehehe...12 steps.

    9 in the back and 3 in the front!!

    Mike

  14. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:38:55 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler wrote:
    >

    >>I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    >>
    >>Peace, Bill
    >>

    >I understand. What I love is the rapidly emerging knee-jerk anti-singlespeed establishment.

    All hype has it's detractors. And there is no denying that ss is nothing more than hype. but even I
    must say it's pricing IS very attractive. If I was doing it on the cheap SS is the way to go. But
    I'm not, so I won't.

    >" We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. We wanna be free to ride. We wanna be free to ride our
    >machines without being hassled by The Man! ... And we wanna get loaded."
    >
    >A (getting ready to Monkey around this very evening...)

    Now you've done it. You've called me a freerider!

    Dave (I like it!)

  15. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:34:21 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anthony Sloan wrote:
    >> Bill Wheeler wrote:
    >>

    >>> I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    >>>
    >>> Peace, Bill
    >>>

    >> I understand. What I love is the rapidly emerging knee-jerk anti-singlespeed establishment.
    >>

    >perhaps just tweaking the nose of those who appear to have gotten religion in the form of one gear?
    >( and are as obnoxious as any prostelyzer (sp?) ....)
    >
    >Penny

    Yeppers, this about sums it up!

    You have a wonderful way of putting things.

    Dave

  16. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Anthony Sloan wrote:
    > > Bill Wheeler wrote:
    > >

    > >> I love my SS. I can't help myself. I just can't.
    > >>
    > >> Peace, Bill
    > >>

    > > I understand. What I love is the rapidly emerging knee-jerk anti-singlespeed establishment.
    > >

    > perhaps just tweaking the nose of those who appear to have gotten religion in the form of one
    > gear? ( and are as obnoxious as any prostelyzer (sp?) ....)
    >
    > Penny

    Absolutely!

  17. Dave W wrote:

    >All hype has it's detractors. And there is no denying that ss is nothing more than hype.

    I deny that.

    There's more to it than hype.

  18. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:23:56 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dave W wrote:
    >

    >>All hype has it's detractors. And there is no denying that ss is nothing more than hype.
    >>

    >I deny that.
    >
    >There's more to it than hype.

    Not from where I sit. Hell you can even buy rear cogs via a picture post at MTBR now. If that's not
    hype, I dunno what is.

  19. Dave W wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:23:56 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Dave W wrote:
    >>

    >>>All hype has it's detractors. And there is no denying that ss is nothing more than hype.
    >>>

    >>I deny that.
    >>
    >>There's more to it than hype.

    > Not from where I sit. Hell you can even buy rear cogs via a picture post at MTBR now. If that's
    > not hype, I dunno what is.

    Well, that's your misinformed opinon, and you're welcome to it ;*)

    <That's a joke>

    <I'm only kidding>

    <Really>

    All I know is this. I've never claimed a singlespeed is any better than any other sort of bike. I
    just have fun riding mine.

    That is all.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  20. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:00:17 -0500, Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dave W wrote:

    >>>I deny that.
    >>>
    >>>There's more to it than hype.

    >> Not from where I sit. Hell you can even buy rear cogs via a picture post at MTBR now. If that's
    >> not hype, I dunno what is.
    >>

    >Well, that's your misinformed opinon, and you're welcome to it ;*)
    >
    ><That's a joke>
    >
    ><I'm only kidding>
    >

    ><Really>
    >
    >All I know is this. I've never claimed a singlespeed is any better than any other sort of bike. I
    >just have fun riding mine.
    >
    >That is all.

    Then that is all that one can ask for. On any bike! Mr. Wheeler is a bit on the Rev. Jim Jones
    side...a little bit overzealous to say the least! When he goes off on some Dennis Miller like rant
    about the virtues of it, well you know the rest.....

    Dave (course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!)