RR: wind city

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gabrielle, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    Took the new bike out for its inaugural mudbath today. Yes, it's a Cannondale. Flame me if you
    must, but there will be no spanking. As to the red v yellow debate, orange is faster than both of
    'em put together.

    MacDaddy took me out to Whoop-de-do, the trail used for the 24-hour race at last year's Gorge Games
    (so I'm told). We had a vanishingly small window of opportunity, so I only got to do a short
    section, but got a good sampling of how my new ride handles.

    The first mile of the trail is uphill. With my new expansive gear selection, I was flying up the
    hill like Cinderella in her pumpkin until I fell into a ditch. Even a shiny new bike will not erase
    the klutz factor.

    At the top of the hill, we stopped for a breather. (I would have lovely panoramic photos to share of
    the clouds roiling up the Columbia Gorge, but apparently nobody bothered to shut off the camera
    after the hike yesterday, so it was dead.) Following an old logging road across an open section of
    ridge, we took the full brunt of the wind. At one point, I got pushed out of one track, over the
    bump in the middle into the other, then up the berm a bit. I had not considered this possible hazard
    of a lighter bike. ;)

    We headed next into a lovely oak grove, complete with large low-hanging branches overarching the
    trail. The forest quickly turned to pine and the kind of trail I adore: tight & twisty on a soft
    bed of pine needles. Too soon, we came to another windy ridge crossing and opted to turn around and
    head back.

    I conquered a small log that had given me trouble on the way in (it was wet and I did that nasty
    slide to the side thing), and was feeling pretty good about that when we hit the last mile down to
    the car. This is where I had my first real surprise. I was not prepared for how fast this bike was
    going to take off down hill. I didn't realize how much difference a new/decent freewheel could make.
    It was really quite hair-raising, but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. :)

    gabrielle

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Took the new bike out for its inaugural mudbath today. Yes, it's a Cannondale. Flame me if you
    > must, but there will be no spanking. As to the red v yellow debate, orange is faster than both of
    > 'em put together.
    >
    > MacDaddy took me out to Whoop-de-do, the trail used for the 24-hour race at last year's Gorge
    > Games (so I'm told). We had a vanishingly small window of opportunity, so I only got to do a short
    > section, but got a good sampling of how my new ride handles.
    >
    > The first mile of the trail is uphill. With my new expansive gear selection, I was flying up the
    > hill like Cinderella in her pumpkin until I fell into a ditch. Even a shiny new bike will not
    > erase the klutz factor.
    >
    > At the top of the hill, we stopped for a breather. (I would have lovely panoramic photos to share
    > of the clouds roiling up the Columbia Gorge, but apparently nobody bothered to shut off the camera
    > after the hike yesterday, so it was dead.) Following an old logging road across an open section of
    > ridge, we took the full brunt of the wind. At one point, I got pushed out of one track, over the
    > bump in the middle into the other, then up the berm a bit. I had not considered this possible
    > hazard of a lighter bike. ;)
    >
    > We headed next into a lovely oak grove, complete with large low-hanging branches overarching the
    > trail. The forest quickly turned to pine and the kind of trail I adore: tight & twisty on a soft
    > bed of pine needles. Too soon, we came to another windy ridge crossing and opted to turn around
    > and head back.
    >
    > I conquered a small log that had given me trouble on the way in (it was wet and I did that nasty
    > slide to the side thing), and was feeling pretty good about that when we hit the last mile down to
    > the car. This is where I had my first real surprise. I was not prepared for how fast this bike was
    > going to take off down hill. I didn't realize how much difference a new/decent freewheel could
    > make. It was really quite hair-raising, but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. :)

    Very nice RR; now where's the "Tormenting Bike Shopping" story?

    What'd you get -- HT or FS? New or Used? Easy deal or Ordeal? ORANGE?!?

    Bill "some of my best friends own C'dales...well, one guy anyway...don't really know him (or
    care to :)" S.

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    gabrielle wrote:

    With my new expansive gear
    > selection, I was flying up the hill like Cinderella in her pumpkin until I fell into a ditch. Even
    > a shiny new bike will not erase the klutz factor.

    BTDT. Is that great or what?

    I can't wati to ride with you!!1

    Penny

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Took the new bike out for its inaugural mudbath today. Yes, it's a Cannondale. Flame me if you
    > must, but there will be no spanking. As to the red v yellow debate, orange is faster than both of
    > 'em put together.

    <snip cool RR>

    > gabrielle

    A frig'n C-dale....are you crazy, nuts, discombobulated, lost all control of your upper & lower
    extremities.....what the heck!!!!
    --
    Slacker

  5. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 21:43:41 -0800, Sorni wrote:

    > Very nice RR; now where's the "Tormenting Bike Shopping" story?

    You don't want to hear it, trust me. Someday I will post "lies I heard while shopping."

    > What'd you get -- HT or FS? New or Used? Easy deal or Ordeal? ORANGE?!?

    New, 900, HT (of course), got a pretty decent price if you believe mtbr. The shop was super-helpful,
    seemed truthful, and is very interested in follow-up service. I am a sucker for that stuff--if a
    shop is decent to me I'm likely to pay a bit more to support them rather than deal with assholes.

    Yeah, orange. I can't decide if I should call it "the pumpkin" or "the protestant".

    gabrielle

  6. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    gabrielle wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 21:43:41 -0800, Sorni wrote:
    >
    >> Very nice RR; now where's the "Tormenting Bike Shopping" story?
    >
    > You don't want to hear it, trust me. Someday I will post "lies I heard while shopping."

    I already did this thread last year.

    >> What'd you get -- HT or FS? New or Used? Easy deal or Ordeal? ORANGE?!?
    >
    > New, 900, HT (of course), got a pretty decent price if you believe mtbr. The shop was
    > super-helpful, seemed truthful, and is very interested in follow-up service. I am a sucker for
    > that stuff--if a shop is decent to me I'm likely to pay a bit more to support them rather than
    > deal with assholes.

    i'ts locally owned too (?)

    > Yeah, orange. I can't decide if I should call it "the pumpkin" or "the protestant".

    Tangerine Dream. ;-)

    p.

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > gabrielle wrote:
    > >
    > > Yeah, orange. I can't decide if I should call it "the pumpkin" or "the protestant".
    > >

    > Tangerine Dream. ;-)
    >
    > p.

    Dreamcicle

  8. Shaun Rimmer