RR women and riding

Penny S

Guest
Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
around here....

Thursday morning girls club is in full swing, and the awesome newbies are coming out of the wood
work. Two weeks ago Kamikaze #1 showed up with "I'm say I'm a Barney but I'm not", a natural athlete
who just needs her own bike and a few more rides to be really solid.

Today, Kamikaze #2 shows up with her neighbor, a marathoner , on a rigid bike. My first thought was
oh, no a beginner on a rigid but I banished it quickly as K2 is the one that taught me to ride.
We've also got a gal, who's just moved here from Syracuse, strong rider and looking for trails. And
then there's LaRae, one of my bike camp pals who hasn't gotten out a whole lot this season.

The 8:30 start somehow turns into a 9am one, . Off we go.. and the newbie is strong!! This gal -
well here's another one that with a few more rides will go anywhere. And she did, we were all blown
away by her trooper-ness and her ability to keep up and just follow us. K2 sort of keeps tabs on
her, and I'm elected "trip leader" for the ride. I'm always surprised to be put out front. Every
time I do a check at a junction they are right there. Very cool. The transplant is loving this: our
local riding is just blowing her mind. I don't think it's that great, but she begs to differ.

Down in the boulder playground we stop as always to goof around a bit. We discuss riding UP the big
rock, and Larae and the transplant have at it. K2 is off to the side to catch bikes and spot the
riders so that no one wrecks. I watched with interest... this is a move I haven't attempted yet. A
very techinical discussion over gearing, lines and speed insues, with the transplant showing us all
how it's done by her third attempt. Sucess seems dependent on a bit of speed, plus a critically time
shift and power move to crest the rock. I've decided I have to try this next time, no excuse not to.

Then back up and over the top... that last hill up is always such a grunt, with the pay off of 2
miles of sweetly banked turns back down to the parking lot. The new gal is completeley stoked, only
hadd a tiny bit of hesitation in 9 miles of riding.

Woo- hoo, welcome to thursday mornings!!

now, onto to my great photographic methods.

someone else: "Hey, you have your camera? Here, let me take some photos. Which button does
what now?"

They aren't meant to be keepers, just for fun.

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-001.jpg

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-002.jpg
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-003.jpg
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-005.jpg

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
> around here....

We have quite a few in city female riders, at least down in the Seattle/Kenmore area. There was a
ton of grrrls up at Whistler last Sunday.

> Thursday morning girls club is in full swing, and the awesome newbies are coming out of the wood
> work. Two weeks ago Kamikaze #1 showed up with "I'm say I'm a Barney but I'm not", a natural
> athlete who just needs her own bike and a few more rides to be really solid.

Work with that one... New partners are a good thing.

> snip<
Sucess seems
> dependent on a bit of speed, plus a critically time shift and power move to crest the rock. I've
> decided I have to try this next time, no excuse not to.

Did you mean "critically timed shift"? You make it sound like a payroll budget concern. :)

> Then back up and over the top... that last hill up is always such a grunt, with the pay off of 2
> miles of sweetly banked turns back down to the parking lot. The new gal is completeley stoked,
> only hadd a tiny bit of hesitation in 9 miles of riding.
>
> Woo- hoo, welcome to thursday mornings!!

Rare is the weekday that I get to ride. :-(

> now, onto to my great photographic methods.
>
> someone else: "Hey, you have your camera? Here, let me take some photos. Which button does
> what now?"
>
> They aren't meant to be keepers, just for fun.
>
> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-001.jpg
>
> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-002.jpg
> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-003.jpg
> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-005.jpg

I agree. Boring. ;-)

--
Cameron

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The transplant is loving this: our local riding is just blowing her mind. I don't think it's that
>great, but she begs to differ.

Might have something to do with the fact that there is more dirt and less mud in Spokane than what
she was used to in Syracuse :) This year the riding here has been as wet as it has been in recent
memory. A VERY late start due to unseasonably (even by Syracuse standards) wet weather through May;
hit or miss through the summer, and now a wet fall. We've been pretty much shut out the last week
and a half. Boo hoo.

>http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-001.jpg

I see transplant was in full Team Verizon regalia. Don't tell JD that is a road team ;-) --dt

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:04:27 -0700, Penny S wrote:
> Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
> around here....

I'm starting to notice more lately. Maybe its partly because I'm spending less time on the
singletrack and more time on the fireroads near my house (mainly for lack of riding buds and/or
time); there's just a greater chance of seeing riders of any type there.

> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-003.jpg

You do like that rock, don't you? :)

BB scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:04:27 -0700, Penny S wrote:
>> Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
>> around here....
>
> I'm starting to notice more lately. Maybe its partly because I'm spending less time on the
> singletrack and more time on the fireroads near my house (mainly for lack of riding buds and/or
> time); there's just a greater chance of seeing riders of any type there.
>
>> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-003.jpg
>
> You do like that rock, don't you? :)

That's a different one. There's lots of little harmless technical stuff out there. Tho maybe all
slickrock boulder look about the same? ;-)

What I"d like to figure out how to photograph is the "oh ****" factor... when you some down the
trail it's a ledge that you don't see until you are right at the edge. And then you can roll it. The
first time we rode this trail I just about locked up the brake and caused a pile up as I came upon
at some speed with K2 behind me. It's something you can roll, but the first encounter can be an eye
opener, and it's very intimidating to the beginners.

Penny

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:04:27 -0700, Penny S <[email protected]> penned:
> Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
> around here....

Nice RR =)

I see plenty of women riders out here, but haven't done any rides that didn't include Eric
... so far.

-- monique

Monique Y. Herman scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:04:27 -0700, Penny S <[email protected]> penned:
>> Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
>> around here....
>>

> Nice RR =)
>
> I see plenty of women riders out here, but haven't done any rides that didn't include Eric
> ... so far.
>
> -- monique

try it sometime, it's a blast.

Penny

Doug Taylor scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The transplant is loving this: our local riding is just blowing her mind. I don't think it's that
>> great, but she begs to differ.
>
> Might have something to do with the fact that there is more dirt and less mud in Spokane than what
> she was used to in Syracuse :) This year the riding here has been as wet as it has been in recent
> memory. A VERY late start due to unseasonably (even by Syracuse standards) wet weather through
> May; hit or miss through the summer, and now a wet fall. We've been pretty much shut out the last
> week and a half. Boo hoo.
>
>> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-001.jpg
>
> I see transplant was in full Team Verizon regalia. Don't tell JD that is a road team ;-) --dt

she says it's because there is a lot of choice, just what you can get to within an hour. I must be
jaded because I've been here so long.

Penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> BB scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> > On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:04:27 -0700, Penny S wrote:
> >> Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
> >> around here....
> >
> > I'm starting to notice more lately. Maybe its partly because I'm spending less time on the
> > singletrack and more time on the fireroads near my house (mainly for lack of riding buds and/or
> > time); there's just a greater chance of seeing riders of any type there.
> >
> >> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-003.jpg
> >
> > You do like that rock, don't you? :)
>
> That's a different one. There's lots of little harmless technical stuff out there. Tho maybe all
> slickrock boulder look about the same? ;-)
>
> What I"d like to figure out how to photograph is the "oh ****" factor... when you some down the
> trail it's a ledge that you don't see until you are right at the edge. And then you can roll it.
> The first time we rode this trail I just about locked up the brake and caused a pile up as I came
> upon at some speed with K2 behind me. It's something you can roll, but the first encounter can be
> an eye opener, and it's very intimidating to the beginners.

If I get to ride with all of those lovely ladies, I might be persuaded to take a jaunt up there to
demo those moves...

JD

JD scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>> What I"d like to figure out how to photograph is the "oh ****" factor... when you some down the
>> trail it's a ledge that you don't see until you are right at the edge. And then you can roll it.
>> The first time we rode this trail I just about locked up the brake and caused a pile up as I came
>> upon at some speed with K2 behind me. It's something you can roll, but the first encounter can be
>> an eye opener, and it's very intimidating to the beginners.
>
> If I get to ride with all of those lovely ladies, I might be persuaded to take a jaunt up there to
> demo those moves...
>
> JD

you can demo how to take the photo. We seem quite capable of figuring out technical moves on our
own, thank you very much.

;-)

Penny

> If I get to ride with all of those lovely ladies, I might be persuaded to take a jaunt up there to
> demo those moves...

You must have missed my post. The Syracuse transplant in the Verizon jersey is a sponsored roadie,
so how will you justify associating with her? Or

be)? Or are you finally gettting the clue that all cycling is cycling and therefore ok?

Penny S scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> JD scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>>> What I"d like to figure out how to photograph is the "oh ****" factor... when you some down the
>>> trail it's a ledge that you don't see until you are right at the edge. And then you can roll it.
>>> The first time we rode this trail I just about locked up the brake and caused a pile up as I
>>> came upon at some speed with K2 behind me. It's something you can roll, but the first encounter
>>> can be an eye opener, and it's very intimidating to the beginners.
>>
>> If I get to ride with all of those lovely ladies, I might be persuaded to take a jaunt up there
>> to demo those moves...
>>
>> JD
>
> you can demo how to take the photo. We seem quite capable of figuring out technical moves on our
> own, thank you very much.
>
> ;-)
>
> Penny

oh, gosh, I wonder if I hurt his feelings.....

Doug Taylor scrawled in bright red lipstick:

>> If I get to ride with all of those lovely ladies, I might be persuaded to take a jaunt up there
>> to demo those moves...
>
> You must have missed my post. The Syracuse transplant in the Verizon jersey is a sponsored
> roadie, so how will you justify associating with her? Or will you overlook that since she's a
> "lovely lady"

> that all cycling is cycling and therefore ok?

it's about the (bike ) ride and not the women, evidently.

I keep telling all of you: they aren't single. And the one that is, is out of circulation.

Penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
> around here....

<snip>

None of that here. I rarely get to ride with any other females but I am content to go out and smoke
a male's tires off his rims anyday...

All these LI princesses are out shopping and driving their SUV's instead of riding with me.

Sucks to be them...more trails for me...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
> around here....

<snip fun had!>

> They aren't meant to be keepers, just for fun.
>
> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-001.jpg
>
> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-002.jpg
> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-003.jpg
> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-005.jpg

OK, Shaun aRe really disappointed at the total lack of close-up lady-butt in tight lycra shots -
sort it out Penny.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
>> around here....
>
> <snip fun had!>
>
>> They aren't meant to be keepers, just for fun.
>>
>> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-001.jpg
>>
>> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-002.jpg
>> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-003.jpg
>> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-005.jpg
>
> OK, Shaun aRe really disappointed at the total lack of close-up lady-butt in tight lycra shots -
> sort it out Penny.

I'll work on that.

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> > "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Honestly, I don't know why some people complain about a dearth of female riders, certainly not
> >> around here....
> >
> > <snip fun had!>
> >
> >> They aren't meant to be keepers, just for fun.
> >>
> >> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-001.jpg
> >>
> >> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-002.jpg
> >> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-003.jpg
> >> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/Picture-005.jpg
> >
> > OK, Shaun aRe really disappointed at the total lack of close-up lady-butt in tight lycra shots -
> > sort it out Penny.
> >

> I'll work on that.
>
> 1¢

Cheers - knew I could count on you! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

> Cheers - knew I could count on you! ',;~}~ Shaun aRe

<ficticious spam>

Dude!

Like Lycra?

Like Ladies?

Like Butts?

Like Saddles?

www.lycraladybuttsonsaddles.com is the new site you have to visit!!!!!!

FREE FREE FREE HOT FEMALE EMTEEBEE ASS!!!!!!!!!!

</ficticious spam>

Andy Chequer, brianstorming again.

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(removethisbittosend)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Cheers - knew I could count on you! ',;~}~ Shaun aRe
>
> <ficticious spam>
>
> Dude!

Whoah!

> Like Lycra?

Duuuuude!

> Like Ladies?

Like, hell yeah!

> Like Butts?

Where already?!?!?!?

Dude, you just made all that **** up! I need another hit ;-(

> Andy Chequer, brianstorming again.

Shaun aRe - 'gutted'.

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(removethisbittosend)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Cheers - knew I could count on you! ',;~}~ Shaun aRe
>
> <ficticious spam>
>
> Dude!
>
> Like Lycra?
>
> Like Ladies?
>
> Like Butts?
>
> Like Saddles?
>
> www.lycraladybuttsonsaddles.com is the new site you have to visit!!!!!!
>
> FREE FREE FREE HOT FEMALE EMTEEBEE ASS!!!!!!!!!!

Must....resist....temptation...to click on link and see if it is a real website.... arrgh
my eyes.....

Steve.