RR: Yarra bend/Studly Park

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tim Jones, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    To contast the wet cold RR...

    Headed out from work for my normal travel commute home today (Melbourne Australia) - I live 8.5km
    from work but stretch it out to between 15 - 40kms with my ride along paths then single track when I
    get to it.

    Bloody hot today (36 degrees - that's Celcius), and just bought a Caribee Hydration pack this
    morning that I wore over the top of my laptop backpack - riding with the extra water certainly came
    in handy today, covering 35km, 15km of that on single track.

    Starting from a steep decent that you have to take carefully (trees surrounding you and sudden drops
    to either side) I decided that my tyres are not really well designed for loose dirt, gravel or sand
    - but they do well enough seeing as most of my riding is on paved surfaces.

    Riding along the Yarra river, there are no really fast decents or wracking climbs - everything is
    relatively flat. There are some rocky sections of the path that require concentration, and other
    sections that require better tyres than I have to ride down safely (my Geax Evolution tyres just
    skid down loose dirt slopes of over 30 degrees).

    It is fun though to get onto some trail however so close to the city (about 6km from the
    Melbourne CBD).

    As we had a big storm here last week, it was disappointing however to see the amount of rubbish that
    enters the waterway from the surrounding city and rural areas, washed up into the trees etc.

    After two hours of riding trail and bike path however in 36 degree heat, I was certainly glad
    to immerse myself in a cool bath, and also glad to be able to drink over two litres of water
    on the ride.

    All the best,

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. MattB

    MattB Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > To contast the wet cold RR...
    >
    > Headed out from work for my normal travel commute home today (Melbourne Australia) - I live 8.5km
    > from work but stretch it out to between 15 -
    40kms
    > with my ride along paths then single track when I get to it.
    >
    > Bloody hot today (36 degrees - that's Celcius), and just bought a Caribee Hydration pack this
    > morning that I wore over the top of my laptop
    backpack -
    > riding with the extra water certainly came in handy today, covering 35km, 15km of that on
    > single track.
    >
    > Starting from a steep decent that you have to take carefully (trees surrounding you and sudden
    > drops to either side) I decided that my tyres
    are
    > not really well designed for loose dirt, gravel or sand - but they do well enough seeing as most
    > of my riding is on paved surfaces.
    >
    > Riding along the Yarra river, there are no really fast decents or wracking climbs - everything is
    > relatively flat. There are some rocky sections of
    the
    > path that require concentration, and other sections that require better tyres than I have to ride
    > down safely (my Geax Evolution tyres just skid down loose dirt slopes of over 30 degrees).

    Thanks for sharing.

    I hear that's nice country over there. My cousins live and ride in that area (cousin Matt is the
    winemaker at Eyton).

    Matt (the Yank cousin)

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > As we had a big storm here last week, it was disappointing however to see the amount of rubbish
    > that enters the waterway from the surrounding city and rural areas, washed up into the trees etc.

    So, you have Australian rednecks?

    JD

  4. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > As we had a big storm here last week, it was disappointing however to
    see
    > > the amount of rubbish that enters the waterway from the surrounding city
    and
    > > rural areas, washed up into the trees etc.
    >
    > So, you have Australian rednecks?

    We call them "Yobbo's" or "Bogans".

    Tim

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  6. MattB

    MattB Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:54:58 +1100, Tim Jones wrote:
    >
    > >> So, you have Australian rednecks?
    > >>

    > > We call them "Yobbo's" or "Bogans".
    >
    > Surely just "Aussies" would suffice...

    Pommie bastard!

    Matt

  7. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  8. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:39:11 -0700, MattB wrote:
    >
    > >> Surely just "Aussies" would suffice...
    > >>

    > > Pommie bastard!
    >
    > That'll be World Cup-winning Pommie bastard, thank you :)

    If we didn't let you win something, England would have just gone off sulking

    ;-)

    But regardless, it was a great game (the only game of Rugby I have ever watched).

    Tim

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:24:42 +1100, Tim Jones wrote:

    >> > Pommie bastard!
    >>
    >> That'll be World Cup-winning Pommie bastard, thank you :)
    >>

    > If we didn't let you win something, England would have just gone off sulking

    Cheers, it's appreciated.

    > But regardless, it was a great game (the only game of Rugby I have ever watched).

    It was a great game. Glad I travelled half way round the globe to watch it :)

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm