RRR: Yes, that's three R's.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jd, May 28, 2003.

  1. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  3. JD wrote:
    > "Jon Bond" <snip satanic ritual> You're really pushin' it there, laddie.

    It's been raining for 3 friggin; weeks here in N.E.

    I'm getting up to "pretty bad" on the uni-cycle, a definate improvement from downright horrible. ;-(

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > JD wrote:
    > > "Jon Bond" <snip satanic ritual> You're really pushin' it there, laddie.
    >
    > It's been raining for 3 friggin; weeks here in N.E.

    Yeah, no kidding. Yesterday finally looked like it might finally be good to ride some of the dryer
    trails, and then all the sudden we got these monstrous storms. Mountain Road, at the base of Talcott
    Mountain (AKA "Talcott Hill") there actually flooded - two seperate puddles, one about 3" deep, one
    about 6" or so, both about 60 feet long. Never seen it do that there before.... oh yeah, and it was
    hailing. So much for riding last night with the guys from the bike shop.

    Oh well, at least its not beautiful and sunny, so the blur thats still sitting in my room isn't too
    annoying ;)

    Jon Bond

    > I'm getting up to "pretty bad" on the uni-cycle, a definate improvement from downright
    > horrible. ;-(

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > JD wrote:
    > > "Jon Bond" <snip satanic ritual> You're really pushin' it there, laddie.
    >
    > It's been raining for 3 friggin; weeks here in N.E.
    >
    > I'm getting up to "pretty bad" on the uni-cycle, a definate improvement from downright
    > horrible. ;-(

    rain hasn't stopped me. in fact, i am thinking of going for a ride in a bit.
    --
    ~Travis

  6. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > In article <[email protected].net>, [email protected] says...
    > >

    > > JD wrote:
    > > > "Jon Bond" <snip satanic ritual> You're really pushin' it there, laddie.
    > >
    > > It's been raining for 3 friggin; weeks here in N.E.
    > >
    > > I'm getting up to "pretty bad" on the uni-cycle, a definate improvement from downright
    > > horrible. ;-(
    > >

    > rain hasn't stopped me. in fact, i am thinking of going for a ride in a bit.
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    I hope you're doing tons of trail maintenance then. Riding when the trail is too wet destroys the
    trails more than anything else - its just not a good idea.

    Do the grass test - if you'd ride on your lawn (assuming its nice and you care about how it looks),
    then you can ride offroad. If you'd leave a track because its too squishy, then don't ride fer
    chrissakes!

    Good estimate is about 24 hours for the first inch of rain, then 12-24 for every inch after that,
    depending on weather conditions (both how fast and hard the rain was and temperature and humidity
    and sun/no sun etc.) Unless its really dry, then 12 hours for an inch might be enough.

    Jon Bond

  7. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <i%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > > > It's been raining for 3 friggin; weeks here in N.E.
    > > >
    > > > I'm getting up to "pretty bad" on the uni-cycle, a definate improvement from downright
    > > > horrible. ;-(
    > > >

    > > rain hasn't stopped me. in fact, i am thinking of going for a ride in a bit.
    > > --
    > > ~Travis
    > >
    > > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    >
    > I hope you're doing tons of trail maintenance then. Riding when the trail is too wet destroys the
    > trails more than anything else - its just not a good idea.
    >
    > Do the grass test - if you'd ride on your lawn (assuming its nice and you care about how it
    > looks), then you can ride offroad. If you'd leave a track because its too squishy, then don't ride
    > fer chrissakes!
    >
    > Good estimate is about 24 hours for the first inch of rain, then 12-24 for every inch after that,
    > depending on weather conditions (both how fast and hard the rain was and temperature and humidity
    > and sun/no sun etc.) Unless its really dry, then 12 hours for an inch might be enough.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    The trails i have mostly been riding are hard pack, or bark covered. i always keep an eye on where i
    have been, and where i am going to make sure the ground will not be too soft. if it looks soft, i
    walk it. any ruts i make i kick or stomp back into place.

    I'm not out to destroy trails, unlike several of the riders in the area that i can see the
    marks from.

    The soil conditions under the top soil is a course sand followed by ledge. this area has pretty good
    drainage, and where it doesn't drain well, i walk or don't ride there.
    --
    ~Travis

  8. Jon Bond wrote:
    > "ClydesdaleMTB" wrote in message
    >>JD wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Jon Bond" <snip satanic ritual> You're really pushin' it there, laddie.
    >>It's been raining for 3 friggin; weeks here in N.E.

    > Oh well, at least its not beautiful and sunny, so the blur thats still sitting in my room isn't
    > too annoying ;)

    Actualy, the sun broke out from about 10:00 an till about 13:00 so I broke out the Beer'Cross and
    hit the road, shifting was crisp and clean no <clackety-clack> of the chain trying to jump up to the
    next gear.... If felt so good to be riding again I just rode and rode and rode back and forth from
    my place to the Epsom traffic circle and back.... 'till it started raining. Didn't realize it till I
    got home and checked my GPS that I did 40+ miles... I finished it all ofw w/ a order of Gen. Tso's
    Chicken, house fried rice and a Smutty Nose Brewery Robust Porter.