RST ala carte steerer tubes

Hank Wirtz

Guest
I've noticed that RST sells their forks through QBP sans steerer tubes,
which are sold separately, so you can get whatever diameter or length
you need. It looks like they're press-fit.

Has anyone ever bought one of these and pressed the tube in themselves?
I looked at RST's web site to see if they had instructions, but they
only say that the tubes are pressed at the factory and not to attempt
to press it out (which makes sense, since it's a steel tube being held
by an aluminum crown - getting it out will probably enlarge the hole on
the crown).

I've got access to a hydraulic bearing press that I think would do the
trick, but I'm wondering if there's more to it than I'm imagining. I
ask because I'd like to put one on a bike with a 1" head tube, and I'd
like to preserve the threaded headset and quill stem if possible.

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> I've noticed that RST sells their forks through QBP sans steerer tubes,
> which are sold separately, so you can get whatever diameter or length
> you need. It looks like they're press-fit.
>
> Has anyone ever bought one of these and pressed the tube in themselves?
> I looked at RST's web site to see if they had instructions, but they
> only say that the tubes are pressed at the factory and not to attempt
> to press it out (which makes sense, since it's a steel tube being held
> by an aluminum crown - getting it out will probably enlarge the hole on
> the crown).
>
> I've got access to a hydraulic bearing press that I think would do the
> trick, but I'm wondering if there's more to it than I'm imagining. I
> ask because I'd like to put one on a bike with a 1" head tube, and I'd
> like to preserve the threaded headset and quill stem if possible.

Hank,
The forks that RST sells through qbp without a steerer tube have bolts
on the crown for bolting on the steerer tube. If you order a 1" steerer
tube and fork they should send you a shim that slides over the steerer
tube to fit the crown. Good luck.
Steve

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> I've noticed that RST sells their forks through QBP sans steerer tubes,
> which are sold separately, so you can get whatever diameter or length
> you need. It looks like they're press-fit.
>
> Has anyone ever bought one of these and pressed the tube in themselves?
> I looked at RST's web site to see if they had instructions, but they
> only say that the tubes are pressed at the factory and not to attempt
> to press it out (which makes sense, since it's a steel tube being held
> by an aluminum crown - getting it out will probably enlarge the hole on
> the crown).
>
> I've got access to a hydraulic bearing press that I think would do the
> trick, but I'm wondering if there's more to it than I'm imagining. I
> ask because I'd like to put one on a bike with a 1" head tube, and I'd
> like to preserve the threaded headset and quill stem if possible.

I believe where you got confused is that some RST models have
permanently pressed columns and other models have (had?) two-bolt crowns
with a replaceable column. See also early Marzocchi and the label "Mozo"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Steve wrote:
Hank,
>The forks that RST sells through qbp without a steerer tube have
>bolts on the crown for bolting on the steerer tube. If you order a
>1" steerer tube and fork they should send you a shim that slides
>over the steerer tube to fit the crown. Good luck.
>Steve

And-

A Muzi wrote:
> I believe where you got confused is that some RST models have
> permanently pressed columns and other models have (had?) two-bolt crowns
> with a replaceable column. See also early Marzocchi and the label "Mozo"

Thanks to both of you for this good information!