RST Forks maintenance

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Cd, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Cd

    Cd Guest

    Hi

    Recently got a Hybrid with RST forks on it. I'm reading the manual regarding the maintenance which
    says I should disassemble the forks every 4 weeks or so & clean & lubricate. This all seems fine,
    but part of the disassemble requires removal of the brake arch, seeing as it's welded on I don't
    fancy removing it.

    What maintenance can I do without removing the arch? Will a bit of oil do the trick?

    Cheers
    CD.

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    CD wrote:
    > I'm reading the manual regarding the maintenance which says I should disassemble the forks every 4
    > weeks or so & clean & lubricate.

    That really depends on what sort of riding you do - if you ride six hours along the bottom of river
    beds every day, once a day would be advisable, if you only ride from one end of a NASA clean room to
    the other, then don't bother. I do mine when they show signs of needing attention.

    > What maintenance can I do without removing the arch? Will a bit of oil do the trick?

    You can do all the maintenance required without removing the arch, but you may need to
    re-interpret the instructions a little, as it sounds like you have the wrong instructions for your
    fork. You may need a special tool, depending on the fork. You could look here to see if you can
    find the right manual:

    http://www.rst-europe.com/f-list.htm

    As for oil, the first time you service them, clean _all_ of the original oil/grease out and replace
    it with something you know you can get your hands on. Mixing oils is not a good idea. Your choice of
    oil will depend on your fork, and possibly the manufacturers recomendation (unless they recomend
    hens teeth oil). I couldn't recomend a particular oil/grease without knowing what model of fork you
    have, what sort of riding you do and possibly even how heavy you are if its a more sophisticated
    fork. However, any lubrication is better than none at all. If you stray away from manufacturers
    recomendations, try to use a neutral grease which will not react with any of the parts in the fork.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

  3. Cd

    Cd Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:20:23 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That really depends on what sort of riding you do - if you ride six hours along the bottom of river
    >beds every day, once a day would be advisable, if you only ride from one end of a NASA clean room
    >to the other, then don't bother. I do mine when they show signs of needing attention.

    10 miles to work & back, mostly road, with a little light off-road. Plus the odd weekend excursion.

    >You can do all the maintenance required without removing the arch, but you may need to
    >re-interpret the instructions a little, as it sounds like you have the wrong instructions for your
    >fork. You may need a special tool, depending on the fork. You could look here to see if you can
    >find the right manual:

    >http://www.rst-europe.com/f-list.htm

    Thanks for that link, I should have found that site before I posted. The manual I have is correct
    for my model of fork - 791-TL, it does however lose a little in translation ;) You can see a pic of
    the fork here:

    http://www.rst.com.tw/English/Spec/22.htm

    > I couldn't recomend a particular oil/grease without knowing what model of fork you have, what sort
    > of riding you do and possibly even how heavy you are if its a more sophisticated fork.

    See above for type of riding, & I'm 16 stone.

    Cheers

    CD