RST old timers test

Well, "the feet" has already been answered by time I saw this post.

Look at all of the old-timers coming out of the woodwork! Hi all!

Which one of us got thrown out of IMH for racing in a hula skirt?

Schwingding

Old Timer wrote:

> Which one of us got thrown out of IMH for racing in a hula skirt?
>
> Schwingding

hula skirt? ummmm.....hulaman? C'mon, M, we can do tougher stuff than that.

rtk

Oh yeah, here's a goodie....

Two words .... JHansen

(shhh...I saw him over at John Cobb's forum today)

This is Katherine Williams. Does that alone qualify me to count among RST's old-timers?

I haven't poked my nose into RST in, oh, about two years. But, I'm baaaaccccckkkk ... I was a
reader-poster starting around 1995, I think.

Married now and living in Maine, too. Life couldn't be better at age
43.

Katherine

Katherine is the writer of Triathlon News, a noted thorn in ITU's side, and the author of a fine
article about me in The Triathlete, as well as a valued contributor to rst back in the good ol' days
when triathletes, and a few race directors, coaches, officials, business owners, tech columnists,
medicos, and even an editor (where is JJ these days?) plus a kid triathlete (what are you doing now,
Mosi?) who was my favorite poster and a few actually entertaining trollers. In addition to being a
forum by and for sympathetic athletes who often met in real life, it was a kind ear for triathletes
who suffered some terrible losses and needed to speak to even an anonymous ear, somethimes in the
middle of the night when no one else was available. The race reports were inspiring to almost
everyone. Dealing with an occasional flamer was just a game. Like all news groups, it provided
conversations when those up close and personal are mighty sick of hearing about our heart rates and
failing tendons. To serve its purpose, it's best that a group not have a boss, so maybe this forum
can again become a nice place to hang out. There are certainly some interesting posters here now.

Ruth Kazez

In article <[email protected]>, rtk <[email protected]> wrote:
> To serve its purpose, it's best that a group not have a boss, so maybe this forum can again become
> a nice place to hang out. There are certainly some interesting posters here now.
>
> Ruth Kazez

I consider myself one of the oldtimers even though I was pretty much a lurker by the time the Ruth
and TriBaby era rolled in.

I did my first tri on Aug 18th, 1991 at Orillia, Ontario and it wasn't until the next day at work
that my newsreader asked me to subscribe to rst. Except for a injury washed out 2002 I've been doing
tri's every since.

arthur

:: Article 58 of rec.sport.triathlon: Path: news-server.csri.toronto.edu!rpi!zaphod.mps.ohio-state-
:: .edu!sdd.hp.com!hplabs!hpfcso!hpfelg!larry
:: >From: [email protected] (Larry Chapman X3117)
:: Newsgroups: rec.sport.triathlon Subject: Being A Triathlete Means . . . Message-ID:
:: <[email protected]> Date: 15 Aug 91 19:59:47 GMT Organization: HP Elec. Design Opr.
:: -FtCollins Lines: 16
::
:: Being a Triathlete means:
::
:: Never having to say "I'm not hungry."
::
:: Taking more showers in one day than you took in an entire week when you were 7.
::
:: Looking for "Glycogen" on restaurant menus.
::
:: Feeling naucious when someone even says the word "interval".
::
:: Keeping better track of your workouts than your spouses birthday.
::
:: Not being sure which is worse: Yassar Arafat or Lactic Acid.
::
:: Explaining to your parents that doing fartleks is really an ok thing.
::

--
Unix doesn't have a monopoly on good ideas, it just owns most of them.
- Alan Cox (http://slashdot.org/features/99/03/04/121242.shtml) Arthur Tateishi

Hey Katherine! It sure does qualify you! I continue to be amazed at what this thread has brought out
of the woodwork! Nice to see you, whats become of the beloved Tri-Digest?

Schwingding

It is great to "see" you again Katherine. It's amazing how many of the old timers have come
back to roost.

[email protected] (Old Timer) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey Katherine! It sure does qualify you! I continue to be amazed at what this thread has brought
> out of the woodwork! Nice to see you, whats become of the beloved Tri-Digest?

Tri Digest is actually making a comeback, too! Still trying to get "regular" (heh-heh) again, but
getting there. I posted one of the Digests on RST the other day (and intend to do that regularly).
After five years of near-daily steadiness, I lost my way about 18 months ago ... took on full-time
work and stopped depending on the Digest for income. It's been a rocky road back to making Digest a
daily priority again, but I am nearly there. I now live in rural Maine (60 miles from Canadian
border), where Internet access sucks -- I get by on lousy, slow, dial-up. So Digest takes longer to
piece together each day. Nonetheless, I feel good about its return, because there's another Olympics
coming around, the ITU appears to be broke and is mainly waiting on the Olympic 2004 flood of money
to revive itself. Plenty to be reported, believe me. I still have the old fire ...

Katherine

rtk <[email protected]> wrote:

>Katherine is the writer of Triathlon News, a noted thorn in ITU's side, and the author of a fine
>article about me in The Triathlete, as well as a valued contributor to rst back in the good ol'
>days when triathletes, and a few race directors, coaches, officials, business owners, tech
>columnists, medicos, and even an editor (where is JJ these days?) plus a kid triathlete (what are
>you doing now, Mosi?) who was my favorite poster and a few actually entertaining trollers.

No ballroom dancers??? (inside joke)

It is indeed interesting who this thread has brought out. Could a return of RST to it's previous
usefulness be possible?

One of the biggest changes is the lack of race reports. I know I never would have done my first
Ironman if it hadn't been for Tri-Baby, Jason Mayfield, etc inspiring me to try with their reports.
last month, Lake Placid came and went with nary a mention. That would have garnered 4 or 5 reports
in the old days.

Maybe I'll post mine...

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Mike Tennent wrote:

> One of the biggest changes is the lack of race reports. I know I never would have done my first
> Ironman if it hadn't been for Tri-Baby, Jason Mayfield, etc inspiring me to try with their
> reports. last month, Lake Placid came and went with nary a mention. That would have garnered 4 or
> 5 reports in the old days.
>
> Maybe I'll post mine...

YES YES Post yours! Yours was the most inspiring of all. I enjoyed Tri-baby's enormously but I could
never identify with the Woo-Hoo approach at water's edge. I always want to go home until I'm a
couple minutes into the race. I was with you every minute of your account.

Ruth K

Which one. Joy Hansen a perfectly perfect runner and a professional triathlete upon whom I had a
pathetic, crush for most of the '80s.

Joan Hansen her twin who was on the USAT board of directors.

Hey, I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Ray

news:[email protected]...

"rtk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Mike Tennent wrote:
>

> > One of the biggest changes is the lack of race reports. I know I never would have done my first
> > Ironman if it hadn't been for Tri-Baby, Jason Mayfield, etc inspiring me to try with their
> > reports. last month, Lake Placid came and went with nary a mention. That would have garnered 4
> > or 5 reports in the old days.
> >
> > Maybe I'll post mine...
>
> YES YES Post yours! Yours was the most inspiring of all. I enjoyed Tri-baby's enormously but I
> could never identify with the Woo-Hoo approach at water's edge. I always want to go home until I'm
> a couple minutes into the race. I was with you every minute of your account.
>
> Ruth K

I wasn't going to bother replying to this post, since in the several years (since before Mike T did
his first Ironman. Back when he was tribop) that I've lurked on this news group I've only posted a
few times. But I just had to say something when I saw Ruth's post. The last time I remember posting
was after I had done the Muncie Endurathon in 2000 and I had seen Ruth there. I didn't realize it
was her until after the race when I was looking through the results. She started in the same wave as
I did (I remember seeing her at the start) and then I didn't see her again until I finally caught up
to her on the run. I think she was having some kind of problems that year with her running. It was a
big thrill for me to beat her. Of course, I'm younger and wasn't injured, but hey, I beat her. I
haven't seen her since, but I do remember thinking at the time that she was about my age. Triathlon
has been good for your Ruth. Bob in Kalamazoo

Bob Scherzer wrote: t was a big thrill for me to beat her. Of
> course, I'm younger and wasn't injured, but hey, I beat her. I haven't seen her since, but I do
> remember thinking at the time that she was about my age. Triathlon has been good for your Ruth.

That was a lovely note. That year I was offered a trip anywhere in the world for my birthday. We
especially considered Belize and Morocco; then I realized that race was on my actual birthday and
the total distance equalled my new age. I told my family I preferred Muncie, Indiana to Belize or
Morocco and I can tell you they are still shaking their heads. I'm so glad I did Muncie (does that
sound like Debbie Does Dallas?--I did Muncie!) because a few months later I fell apart at the seams
during a rather insignificant procedure in the o.r. and it took quite a bit of wind out of my sails.
But I have been doing a few sprints and this fall I'm taking my very healed bod, but old cruddy knee
to Shreveport because I really want to visit Madeira next May for World's.

I, too, have only being lurking occasionally for quite a while. Cathy
C: are you here, too? Hello, hello, Cathy?

Ruth Kazez

"Doug Fuller" <[email protected](remove_underscores)> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jay Japka" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I also found it very interesting that she was very outspoken for a long time on RST then
> > disappeared. I
> miss
> > her incite, wit and her cookies.
>
> I think she posts on Slowtwitch's forum on occasion.

As does TriDork.

David "very irregular poster" Schoonmaker since 1993

PMcDC wrote:
> well, this IS, indeed, fun hearing from all of my old friends on rst, ones by name/posts only, or
> ones i've gotten to know in the flesh.

HELLO my dear in the flesh friend.

Ruth

rtk wrote:

> Katherine is the writer of Triathlon News, a noted thorn in ITU's side, and the author of a fine
> article about me in The Triathlete, as well as a valued contributor to rst back in the good ol'
> days when triathletes, and a few race directors, coaches, officials, business owners, tech
> columnists, medicos, and even an editor (where is JJ these days?)

JJ's still around, mostly as a lurker. Producing 30 races a year along with another full time
business takes a bite out of your free time.

JJ

plus a
> kid triathlete (what are you doing now, Mosi?) who was my favorite poster and a few actually
> entertaining trollers. In addition to being a forum by and for sympathetic athletes who often met
> in real life, it was a kind ear for triathletes who suffered some terrible losses and needed to
> speak to even an anonymous ear, somethimes in the middle of the night when no one else was
> available. The race reports were inspiring to almost everyone. Dealing with an occasional flamer
> was just a game. Like all news groups, it provided conversations when those up close and personal
> are mighty sick of hearing about our heart rates and failing tendons. To serve its purpose, it's
> best that a group not have a boss, so maybe this forum can again become a nice place to hang out.
> There are certainly some interesting posters here now.
>
> Ruth Kazez
>
> Katherine Williams wrote:
>
>> This is Katherine Williams. Does that alone qualify me to count among RST's old-timers?
>>
>> I haven't poked my nose into RST in, oh, about two years. But, I'm baaaaccccckkkk ... I was a
>> reader-poster starting around 1995, I think.
>>
>> Married now and living in Maine, too. Life couldn't be better at age
>> 43.
>>
>> Katherine

Tom Henderson <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> OK, ten points to the first who can explain where the following reference came from:
>
> "The feet"
>
> Name the poster and the date. 5 bonus points if you can repost the actual text it came from. 2000
> bonus points if you can talk him/her into dropping in to say hi.

I must say, this is the most rewarding thread I've ever started!

Good to hear from folks whove been hiding/lurking for a while. I also discovered that i don't really
qualifiy as an "old timer" myself, as manu of those followup questions came from WAY before my time,
before I even discovered triathlon.

Nobody's collected the 2000 bonus points yet, though.

Tom