RSX 7 with Ultegra 9

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Kiely, May 30, 2003.

  1. Dave Kiely

    Dave Kiely Guest

    I am thinkning of upgrading my current bike. It has RSX 7 speed STI shifters, can I use a 9 speed
    ultegra rear deraileur? I don't think I can but would rather not spend the money on new shifters.

    Thanks

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 30 May 2003 14:37:29 -0400, "Dave Kiely" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am thinkning of upgrading my current bike. It has RSX 7 speed STI shifters, can I use a 9 speed
    >ultegra rear deraileur? I don't think I can but would rather not spend the money on new shifters.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Dave

    What do you mean upgrading? Shimano derailers don't care how many speeds 7/8/9- doesn't matter.
    However the shifters need to match the cassette. If you are staying 7 speed, then no problem. if you
    are going 9 speed, then you need shifters

    Bob

  3. "Dave Kiely" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am thinkning of upgrading my current bike. It has RSX 7 speed STI shifters, can I use a 9 speed
    > ultegra rear deraileur? I don't think I can but would rather not spend the money on new shifters.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    I have an RSX 7 sp STI system on my commuter bike. The Ultegra rear derailleur will work fine with
    your RSX 7 sp STI shifters and 7 speed cassette. If you want to change more than that that it can
    get complicated. You can mix and match Shimano components but you need to know what is compatible
    and what isn't. Email me directly if you want more info. Or search Sheldon Brown's website.

    Tom treynolds at saintmail dot net

  4. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Dave Kiely" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am thinkning of upgrading my current bike. It has RSX 7
    speed STI
    > shifters, can I use a 9 speed ultegra rear deraileur? I
    don't think I can
    > but would rather not spend the money on new shifters.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

    What's wrong with your current RSX dérailleur? If it needs replacing, you might as well just get a
    Sora or Tiagra - you could use a current Ultegra model, but you'd be wasting money.....

  5. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    Robert Quindazzi <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

    > On Fri, 30 May 2003 14:37:29 -0400, "Dave Kiely" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I am thinkning of upgrading my current bike. It has RSX 7 speed STI shifters, can I use a 9 speed
    >>ultegra rear deraileur? I don't think I can but would rather not spend the money on new shifters.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Dave
    >>
    > What do you mean upgrading? Shimano derailers don't care how many speeds 7/8/9- doesn't matter.
    > However the shifters need to match the cassette. If you are staying 7 speed, then no problem. if
    > you are going 9 speed, then you need shifters
    >
    > Bob

    I believe (see thread on touring gears) you can use the shifters in friction mode. (The key on the
    side of the bar end rear shifter). I'm sure someone will correct me swiftly enough if I'm wrong!

    --
    Walter Mitty.

  6. may-<< I am thinkning of upgrading my current bike. It has RSX 7 speed STI shifters, can I use
    a 9 speed ultegra rear deraileur? I don't think I can but would rather not spend the money on
    new shifters.

    Yep you can-

  7. On Sat, 31 May 2003 10:43:15 +0200, Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Robert Quindazzi <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    >news:[email protected] he conjectured that:
    >
    >> On Fri, 30 May 2003 14:37:29 -0400, "Dave Kiely" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am thinkning of upgrading my current bike. It has RSX 7 speed STI shifters, can I use a 9 speed
    >>>ultegra rear deraileur? I don't think I can but would rather not spend the money on new shifters.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Dave
    >>>
    >> What do you mean upgrading? Shimano derailers don't care how many speeds 7/8/9- doesn't matter.
    >> However the shifters need to match the cassette. If you are staying 7 speed, then no problem. if
    >> you are going 9 speed, then you need shifters
    >>
    >> Bob
    >
    >I believe (see thread on touring gears) you can use the shifters in friction mode. (The key on the
    >side of the bar end rear shifter). I'm sure someone will correct me swiftly enough if I'm wrong!
    He has STI brifters, which have no friction mode.