RSX100 or Sora



Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M Series

Guest
I am not very familiar with the lower end of the Shimano range so I need some help. I am equipping
one of my older bikes, used to be my summer commuter, 1989 Peugeot 531c with a triple clanger as
my Dad would say, ready for the Raid Pyrenean later in the year. OK I know a double would do, it
did do for me in 1994 but I am older now so its time to slow down a little. I do not have a big
budget for this change so I am considering the lower end of the ranges, the configuration will not
be used for much else other than the 720 km in August so the cheaper, less durable components will
suffice, it is not my Sunday best bike anyway. I have seen the Shimano Tiagra and Sora ranges but
I have also seen some old RSX100 advertised all around the same price. Help me choose people,
which is the better triple chainset from these three. If anyone has a used but in otherwise good
condition Shimano
105/Ultegra triple to sell for about £40 then please get in touch. seth_brundell @ bigfoot . com
 
R

Rory

Guest
"M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am not very familiar with the lower end of the Shimano range so I need some help. I am equipping
> one of my older bikes, used to be my summer commuter, 1989 Peugeot 531c with a triple clanger as
> my Dad would say, ready for the Raid Pyrenean later in the year. OK I know a double would do, it
> did do for me in 1994 but I am older now so its time to slow down a little. I do not have a big
> budget for this change so I am considering the lower end of the ranges, the configuration will not
> be used for much else other than the 720 km in August so the cheaper, less durable components will
> suffice, it is not my Sunday best bike anyway. I have seen the Shimano Tiagra and Sora ranges but
> I have also seen some old RSX100 advertised all around the same price. Help me choose people,
> which is the better triple chainset from these three. If anyone has a used but in otherwise good
> condition Shimano
> 105/Ultegra triple to sell for about £40 then please get in touch.

I've a RSX chainset on my commuter, and it is very solid, no sign of wear after three chains (about
7k miles). My dad's road bike has Sora and although it hasn't worn or failed, it doesn't look as
solid as the RSX (it doesn't do the mileage either). I think 105 is the best compromise between
price and quality, and you can often get good used stuff on Ebay - I've kitted out my road bike with
Ultegra/105 bits for about half the list price (all except the 105 front brake were new parts).
 
D

David E. Belche

Guest
[email protected] (Rory) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> I've a RSX chainset on my commuter, and it is very solid, no sign of wear after three chains
> (about 7k miles). My dad's road bike has Sora and although it hasn't worn or failed, it doesn't
> look as solid as the RSX (it doesn't do the mileage either).

Another point worth noting is that the RSX chainset has more potential for low gearing. Its spider
can accommodate a 36t ring, whereas Sora only goes down to a 38; presumably this is why Peugeot's
'cross machine mixes a RSX 48/36 c/set with an otherwise all-Sora group.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York
 
M

M Series

Guest
An RSX100 DOUBLE takes a 36 ? Mmm

"David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Rory) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > I've a RSX chainset on my commuter, and it is very solid, no sign of wear after three chains
> > (about 7k miles). My dad's road bike has Sora and although it hasn't worn or failed, it doesn't
> > look as solid as the RSX (it doesn't do the mileage either).
>
> Another point worth noting is that the RSX chainset has more potential for low gearing. Its spider
> can accommodate a 36t ring, whereas Sora only goes down to a 38; presumably this is why Peugeot's
> 'cross machine mixes a RSX 48/36 c/set with an otherwise all-Sora group.
>
> David E. Belcher
>
> Dept. of Chemistry, University of York
 
D

David E. Belche

Guest
"M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> An RSX100 DOUBLE takes a 36 ? Mmm
>

Well, a RSX double takes a 36. Though you might mean RX100 in the original post, which doesn't. Just
to clarify, here's a Peugeot cyclo-cross bike with the 46/36 RSX chainset;

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/2970peugeotcyclocrossbig.jpg

Whilst here's the RX100 (which takes a 38 or above inner);

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/6086shimanorx100fca551.jpg

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads