RSX100 or Sora

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by M Series, Feb 12, 2003.

  1. M Series

    M Series Guest

    I am not very familiar with the lower end of the Shimano range so I need some help. I am equipping
    one of my older bikes, used to be my summer commuter, 1989 Peugeot 531c with a triple clanger as
    my Dad would say, ready for the Raid Pyrenean later in the year. OK I know a double would do, it
    did do for me in 1994 but I am older now so its time to slow down a little. I do not have a big
    budget for this change so I am considering the lower end of the ranges, the configuration will not
    be used for much else other than the 720 km in August so the cheaper, less durable components will
    suffice, it is not my Sunday best bike anyway. I have seen the Shimano Tiagra and Sora ranges but
    I have also seen some old RSX100 advertised all around the same price. Help me choose people,
    which is the better triple chainset from these three. If anyone has a used but in otherwise good
    condition Shimano
    105/Ultegra triple to sell for about £40 then please get in touch. seth_brundell @ bigfoot . com

    Tags:

  2. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am not very familiar with the lower end of the Shimano range so I need some help. I am equipping
    > one of my older bikes, used to be my summer commuter, 1989 Peugeot 531c with a triple clanger as
    > my Dad would say, ready for the Raid Pyrenean later in the year. OK I know a double would do, it
    > did do for me in 1994 but I am older now so its time to slow down a little. I do not have a big
    > budget for this change so I am considering the lower end of the ranges, the configuration will not
    > be used for much else other than the 720 km in August so the cheaper, less durable components will
    > suffice, it is not my Sunday best bike anyway. I have seen the Shimano Tiagra and Sora ranges but
    > I have also seen some old RSX100 advertised all around the same price. Help me choose people,
    > which is the better triple chainset from these three. If anyone has a used but in otherwise good
    > condition Shimano
    > 105/Ultegra triple to sell for about £40 then please get in touch.

    I've a RSX chainset on my commuter, and it is very solid, no sign of wear after three chains (about
    7k miles). My dad's road bike has Sora and although it hasn't worn or failed, it doesn't look as
    solid as the RSX (it doesn't do the mileage either). I think 105 is the best compromise between
    price and quality, and you can often get good used stuff on Ebay - I've kitted out my road bike with
    Ultegra/105 bits for about half the list price (all except the 105 front brake were new parts).

  3. [email protected] (Rory) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > I've a RSX chainset on my commuter, and it is very solid, no sign of wear after three chains
    > (about 7k miles). My dad's road bike has Sora and although it hasn't worn or failed, it doesn't
    > look as solid as the RSX (it doesn't do the mileage either).

    Another point worth noting is that the RSX chainset has more potential for low gearing. Its spider
    can accommodate a 36t ring, whereas Sora only goes down to a 38; presumably this is why Peugeot's
    'cross machine mixes a RSX 48/36 c/set with an otherwise all-Sora group.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  4. M Series

    M Series Guest

    An RSX100 DOUBLE takes a 36 ? Mmm

    news:[email protected]...

  5. "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > An RSX100 DOUBLE takes a 36 ? Mmm

    Well, a RSX double takes a 36. Though you might mean RX100 in the original post, which doesn't. Just
    to clarify, here's a Peugeot cyclo-cross bike with the 46/36 RSX chainset;

    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/2970peugeotcyclocrossbig.jpg

    Whilst here's the RX100 (which takes a 38 or above inner);

    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/6086shimanorx100fca551.jpg