Rt 169, Connecticut

Don Demair

Guest
Rt. 169 in Connecticut is listed on one of my maps as a "scenic byway". I figure they mean for cars,
so I was wondering if anyone has ridden it and can comment on how suitable it is for bicycles. My
plan is to ride it northwards from Norwich to Massachusetts.

Thanks, Don

"Don DeMair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Rt. 169 in Connecticut is listed on one of my maps as a "scenic byway". I figure they mean for
> cars, so I was wondering if anyone has ridden it and can comment on how suitable it is for
> bicycles. My plan is to ride it northwards from Norwich to Massachusetts.
>
> Thanks, Don

Is the map the Ct. Bike map? If not go to the Ct DOT site and order the free bicycle map. I have
used it and its pretty good

"Don DeMair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Rt. 169 in Connecticut is listed on one of my maps as a "scenic byway". I figure they mean for
> cars, so I was wondering if anyone has ridden it and can comment on how suitable it is for
> bicycles. My plan is to ride it northwards from Norwich to Massachusetts.
>
> Thanks, Don

Don,

Rte 169 is a great ride, once you get past the Norwich/Jewett City area. The road is mostly rural,
fairly wide (for a New England side road), has little traffic during the weekend, (but the traffic
does move along), and is quite pretty. There are some long grinds in places as befits a Connecticut
road, but nothing terrible.

In fact, Rte 169 is one leg of a solo century I'm taking in September...Rte 12 from Gales Ferry to
Woodstock and Rte 169 back to Norwich to Gales Ferry.

Enjoy your ride....

"Johnny Two Pedals" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Don DeMair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Rt. 169 in Connecticut is listed on one of my maps as a "scenic byway".
> > figure they mean for cars, so I was wondering if anyone has ridden it
and
> > can comment on how suitable it is for bicycles. My plan is to ride it northwards from Norwich to
> > Massachusetts.
> >
> > Thanks, Don
>
> Don,
>
> Rte 169 is a great ride, once you get past the Norwich/Jewett City area. The road is mostly rural,
> fairly wide (for a New England side road), has little traffic during the weekend, (but the traffic
> does move along), and is quite pretty. There are some long grinds in places as befits a
> Connecticut road, but nothing terrible.
>
> In fact, Rte 169 is one leg of a solo century I'm taking in September...Rte 12 from Gales Ferry to
> Woodstock and Rte 169 back to Norwich to Gales Ferry.
>
> Enjoy your ride....

Thank You, Johnny.

Donny too, pedals.