Rt 169, Connecticut

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Don Demair, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Don Demair

    Don Demair Guest

    Rt. 169 in Connecticut is listed on one of my maps as a "scenic byway". I figure they mean for cars,
    so I was wondering if anyone has ridden it and can comment on how suitable it is for bicycles. My
    plan is to ride it northwards from Norwich to Massachusetts.

    Thanks, Don

    Tags:

  2. Ed

    Ed Guest

    "Don DeMair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Rt. 169 in Connecticut is listed on one of my maps as a "scenic byway". I figure they mean for
    > cars, so I was wondering if anyone has ridden it and can comment on how suitable it is for
    > bicycles. My plan is to ride it northwards from Norwich to Massachusetts.
    >
    > Thanks, Don

    Is the map the Ct. Bike map? If not go to the Ct DOT site and order the free bicycle map. I have
    used it and its pretty good

  3. "Don DeMair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Rt. 169 in Connecticut is listed on one of my maps as a "scenic byway". I figure they mean for
    > cars, so I was wondering if anyone has ridden it and can comment on how suitable it is for
    > bicycles. My plan is to ride it northwards from Norwich to Massachusetts.
    >
    > Thanks, Don

    Don,

    Rte 169 is a great ride, once you get past the Norwich/Jewett City area. The road is mostly rural,
    fairly wide (for a New England side road), has little traffic during the weekend, (but the traffic
    does move along), and is quite pretty. There are some long grinds in places as befits a Connecticut
    road, but nothing terrible.

    In fact, Rte 169 is one leg of a solo century I'm taking in September...Rte 12 from Gales Ferry to
    Woodstock and Rte 169 back to Norwich to Gales Ferry.

    Enjoy your ride....

  4. Don Demair

    Don Demair Guest

    "Johnny Two Pedals" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Don DeMair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Rt. 169 in Connecticut is listed on one of my maps as a "scenic byway".
    > > figure they mean for cars, so I was wondering if anyone has ridden it
    and
    > > can comment on how suitable it is for bicycles. My plan is to ride it northwards from Norwich to
    > > Massachusetts.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Don
    >
    > Don,
    >
    > Rte 169 is a great ride, once you get past the Norwich/Jewett City area. The road is mostly rural,
    > fairly wide (for a New England side road), has little traffic during the weekend, (but the traffic
    > does move along), and is quite pretty. There are some long grinds in places as befits a
    > Connecticut road, but nothing terrible.
    >
    > In fact, Rte 169 is one leg of a solo century I'm taking in September...Rte 12 from Gales Ferry to
    > Woodstock and Rte 169 back to Norwich to Gales Ferry.
    >
    > Enjoy your ride....

    Thank You, Johnny.

    Donny too, pedals.