Rubbing at the front wheel in the wet?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kevin Stone, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. Kevin Stone

    Kevin Stone Guest

    "Lardychap" wrote:

    > Other than taking the bike into the bath with me

    Perhaps a jug [1] of water - it's not rocket science you know.

    :)

    [1] or perhaps a bucket, or even a hose

    --
    Kev

    Tags:

  2. Lardychap

    Lardychap Guest

    Hi,

    this morning it pantsed it down with rain. Completely and
    utterly. Consequently at low speeds (<10mph) there was a rubbing sound
    like the brakes were catching. So I release the brakes at the lever,
    there was no brake rub. Lifted the front wheel and it seemed to catch
    somewhere (ie it's not slow on the whole rotation), but nothing
    visible.

    Tonight it had all dried out and the front wheel span like it was on
    frictionless bearings.

    Other than taking the bike into the bath with me (or waiting til
    another downpour, maybe tomorrow) can anyone suggest where I should
    start looking for faults? First guess is wheel bearings but surely
    water would lubricate and it would be in the dry that you'd get this
    situation?

    Cheers

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Kevin Stone wrote:
    > "Lardychap" wrote:
    >
    >> Other than taking the bike into the bath with me

    > Perhaps a jug [1] of water - it's not rocket science you know.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > [1] or perhaps a bucket, or even a hose

    Nah. Chuck it in the bath. Much more fun!

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Lardychap wrote:
    > this morning it pantsed it down with rain. Completely and
    > utterly. Consequently at low speeds (<10mph) there was a rubbing sound
    > like the brakes were catching. So I release the brakes at the lever,
    > there was no brake rub.

    It's probably just the brake pads rubbing the rim. If so, it'll also be
    happening in the dry but only water and muck from riding and braking in
    the wet makes it audible (and it can make it very loud). The solution is
    to set pads further away from rim, or true wheel if it's a bit out, or
    smooth rim joint the problem is there. You'll need more brake clearance
    for the rear wheel as rear wheels flex more. Use the rear brake as little
    as possible in the wet, within reason.

    > Lifted the front wheel and it seemed to catch
    > somewhere (ie it's not slow on the whole rotation), but nothing
    > visible.

    Is that with the brakes miles away from the rim? Worrying if so. Let me
    think what else could it be? Tyres catching mudguards?

    Hubs? They can make clicking or various weird sounds if water gets in or
    something goes wrong with them. With non-cartridge jobs, I'm afraid
    you'll have to strip and regrease to make sure if you can't eliminate
    everything else.

    /snip
    > First guess is wheel bearings but surely
    > water would lubricate and it would be in the dry that you'd get this
    > situation?

    Not really. Water can rapidly emulsify the grease, producing nastiness,
    including extraordinarily big knocking noises that you can't believe can
    be coming from something so small as cones and bearing balls, etc.

    Good luck!

    ~PB

  5. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Simonb vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Kevin Stone wrote:
    >> "Lardychap" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Other than taking the bike into the bath with me

    >> Perhaps a jug [1] of water - it's not rocket science you know.
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >> [1] or perhaps a bucket, or even a hose

    > Nah. Chuck it in the bath. Much more fun!

    The spokes really bring the bubbles up ...

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

  6. Chris Heys

    Chris Heys Guest

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:02:11 GMT, Lardychap
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >this morning it pantsed it down with rain. Completely and
    >utterly. Consequently at low speeds (<10mph) there was a rubbing sound
    >like the brakes were catching. So I release the brakes at the lever,
    >there was no brake rub. Lifted the front wheel and it seemed to catch
    >somewhere (ie it's not slow on the whole rotation), but nothing
    >visible.
    >
    >Tonight it had all dried out and the front wheel span like it was on
    >frictionless bearings.
    >
    >Other than taking the bike into the bath with me (or waiting til
    >another downpour, maybe tomorrow) can anyone suggest where I should
    >start looking for faults? First guess is wheel bearings but surely
    >water would lubricate and it would be in the dry that you'd get this
    >situation?
    >
    >Cheers

    Possible you've got a cut in the tread of your tyre from glass etc...
    that's letting water bubble between the layers of rubber in the tyre
    causing a sort of water blister? Happened to me with some Conti Top
    Touring 2000 tyres. Sounds weird when it comes into contact with road.
    Sortof a 'zum, zum zum' sound :)

    Chris

  7. jacob

    jacob Guest

    If the rubbing sound has stopped then the rubbing has stopped - so I'd
    stop worrying if I were you.

    cheers

    Jacob