Rubbing noises when turning front wheel

Roger Zoul

Guest
I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on it.

All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I turn the front wheel
from left to right. This noise sounds like rubber or plastic moving against
metal. It's coming from the steering column but I don't think it has to do
with cable housing material rubbing on the frame (as suggested as a
possibility by someone else) . Is that normal and will this work out as I
get this machine into usage?

Thanks.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on it.
>
> All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I turn the front
> wheel from left to right. This noise sounds like rubber or plastic
> moving against metal. It's coming from the steering column but I
> don't think it has to do with cable housing material rubbing on the
> frame (as suggested as a possibility by someone else) . Is that
> normal and will this work out as I get this machine into usage?

How about cable housing rubbing against cable housing? Get off the bike,
turn the wheel slowly and see what's rubbing! (I have a gift for the
obvious :) )

Also check the bar wrap, brake pad(s) (wheel flex), headset tightness, etc.

Bill "won't even ask about those measly 20 miles (get on it, man)" S.

Bill Sornson wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on it.
:::
::: All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I turn the front
::: wheel from left to right. This noise sounds like rubber or plastic
::: moving against metal. It's coming from the steering column but I
::: don't think it has to do with cable housing material rubbing on the
::: frame (as suggested as a possibility by someone else) . Is that
::: normal and will this work out as I get this machine into usage?
::
:: How about cable housing rubbing against cable housing? Get off the
:: bike, turn the wheel slowly and see what's rubbing! (I have a gift
:: for the obvious :) )
::
:: Also check the bar wrap, brake pad(s) (wheel flex), headset
:: tightness, etc.
::
:: Bill "won't even ask about those measly 20 miles (get on it, man)" S.

:)

I hear ya on the miles, really. And I'm itching, believe me. Sadly, 20
miles is probably a bit on the high side.

I'll check again on the rubbing....but it seems a bit mysterious...I think I
would have noticed if it had been one of the other things.

I have used a mechanic's stethoscope to track down elusive noises on various
machines--not on a bicycle yet. You can place the probe against the general
area you think the noise may be coming from. If you hear it thru the
'scope, then move and see whether it gets louder. In just a few tries, you
will know exactly where it is coming from. Harbor Freight sells these for
just a few bux. On a bike, you may need someone to help you by turning the
fork/wheel while you hold the probe.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on
::: it.
:::
::: All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I
::: turn the front wheel from left to right. This noise
::: sounds like rubber or plastic moving against metal.
::: It's coming from the steering column but I don't think
::: it has to do with cable housing material rubbing on the
::: frame (as suggested as a possibility by someone else) .
::: Is that normal and will this work out as I get this
::: machine into usage?
::
:: How about cable housing rubbing against cable housing?
:: Get off the bike, turn the wheel slowly and see what's
:: rubbing! (I have a gift for the obvious :) )
::

I don't think it has anything to do with any housings. I've check them all.

:: Also check the bar wrap, brake pad(s) (wheel flex),
:: headset tightness, etc.

The bike has disc brakes, but I took the wheel off and I still hear the
rubbing.

I think it's coming from the headset, frankly. What can be done about that?

::
:: Bill "won't even ask about those measly 20 miles (get on
:: it, man)" S.

I don't like riding a noisy bike, though. Imagine doing 200 miles listening
to noise on very turn.

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]
:: I have used a mechanic's stethoscope to track down
:: elusive noises on various machines--not on a bicycle
:: yet. You can place the probe against the general area
:: you think the noise may be coming from. If you hear it
:: thru the 'scope, then move and see whether it gets
:: louder. In just a few tries, you will know exactly
:: where it is coming from. Harbor Freight sells these for
:: just a few bux. On a bike, you may need someone to help
:: you by turning the fork/wheel while you hold the probe.

That's an interesting idea. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the
headset.

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on it.
>
> All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I turn the front wheel
> from left to right. This noise sounds like rubber or plastic moving
> against
> metal. It's coming from the steering column but I don't think it has to do
> with cable housing material rubbing on the frame (as suggested as a
> possibility by someone else) . Is that normal and will this work out as I
> get this machine into usage?
>
> Thanks.

Was this an eBay purchase? If not, take it back. I'm sure the dealer wants
you to have a mechanically sound/safe bike.

"dholland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

No, it's a LBS purchase. I've taken it back twice since I got it for rubbing
disc brakes. I hate to sound like the boy who cries "wolf" at every minor
issue. This is one noisy bike, though.

But this isn't normal, right? Is one even supposed to notice a headset?

I've looked and looked and can't find anything else that may be cause the
noise. My ear says the sound it coming from somewhere along the headset.
I've tried grabbing the cables at various places to see if I could impact
the noise in some way, but that makes no difference.

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]
> :: I have used a mechanic's stethoscope to track down
> :: elusive noises on various machines--not on a bicycle
> :: yet. You can place the probe against the general area
> :: you think the noise may be coming from. If you hear it
> :: thru the 'scope, then move and see whether it gets
> :: louder. In just a few tries, you will know exactly
> :: where it is coming from. Harbor Freight sells these for
> :: just a few bux. On a bike, you may need someone to help
> :: you by turning the fork/wheel while you hold the probe.
>
> That's an interesting idea. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the
> headset.

Then repack the headset and see if it happens again.

"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

Sounds like a trip the LBS - new bike!

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "dholland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> :: news:[email protected]...
> ::: I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles on
> ::: it.
> :::
> ::: All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I
> ::: turn the front wheel from left to right. This noise
> ::: sounds like rubber or plastic moving against
> ::: metal. It's coming from the steering column but I don't
> ::: think it has to do with cable housing material rubbing
> ::: on the frame (as suggested as a possibility by someone
> ::: else) . Is that normal and will this work out as I get
> ::: this machine into usage?
> :::
> ::: Thanks.
> ::
> :: Was this an eBay purchase? If not, take it back. I'm
> :: sure the dealer wants you to have a mechanically
> :: sound/safe bike.
>
> No, it's a LBS purchase. I've taken it back twice since I got it for
> rubbing disc brakes. I hate to sound like the boy who cries "wolf" at
> every minor issue. This is one noisy bike, though.
>
> But this isn't normal, right? Is one even supposed to notice a headset?
>
> I've looked and looked and can't find anything else that may be cause the
> noise. My ear says the sound it coming from somewhere along the headset.
> I've tried grabbing the cables at various places to see if I could impact
> the noise in some way, but that makes no difference.

You aren't the problem, the bike is. If it's internal you are doing more
damage by riding it. Plus, the next time you go around a curve it may keep
turning.
Take it back. The bike shop wants you to bring it back. Trust me. They would
rather deal with the boy who cried wolf than the boy who trash talks the
bike they sold him. There are many more reasons why they want you to bring
it in.... just do it.

"dholland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
:: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:: news:[email protected]...
::: "dholland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
::: news:[email protected]
::::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
::::: news:[email protected]...
:::::: I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles
:::::: on it.
::::::
:::::: All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I
:::::: turn the front wheel from left to right. This noise
:::::: sounds like rubber or plastic moving against
:::::: metal. It's coming from the steering column but I
:::::: don't think it has to do with cable housing material
:::::: rubbing on the frame (as suggested as a possibility
:::::: by someone else) . Is that normal and will this work
:::::: out as I get this machine into usage?
::::::
:::::: Thanks.
:::::
[...]

Good points. I took it back. Problem solved. There is a seal at the bottom
of the headset...a bit of lube there made the noise disappear. Thanks.

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "dholland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> :: news:[email protected]...
> ::: "dholland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> ::: news:[email protected]
> ::::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> ::::: news:[email protected]...
> :::::: I have a new bike that still has less than 20 miles
> :::::: on it.
> ::::::
> :::::: All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises as I
> :::::: turn the front wheel from left to right. This noise
> :::::: sounds like rubber or plastic moving against
> :::::: metal. It's coming from the steering column but I
> :::::: don't think it has to do with cable housing material
> :::::: rubbing on the frame (as suggested as a possibility
> :::::: by someone else) . Is that normal and will this work
> :::::: out as I get this machine into usage?
> ::::::
> :::::: Thanks.
> :::::
> ::::: Was this an eBay purchase? If not, take it back. I'm
> ::::: sure the dealer wants you to have a mechanically
> ::::: sound/safe bike.
> :::
> ::: No, it's a LBS purchase. I've taken it back twice since
> ::: I got it for rubbing disc brakes. I hate to sound like
> ::: the boy who cries "wolf" at every minor issue. This is
> ::: one noisy bike, though.
> :::
> ::: But this isn't normal, right? Is one even supposed to
> ::: notice a headset?
> :::
> ::: I've looked and looked and can't find anything else
> ::: that may be cause the noise. My ear says the sound it
> ::: coming from somewhere along the headset. I've tried
> ::: grabbing the cables at various places to see if I could
> ::: impact the noise in some way, but that makes no
> ::: difference.
> :::
> ::
> :: You aren't the problem, the bike is. If it's internal
> :: you are doing more damage by riding it. Plus, the next
> :: time you go around a curve it may keep turning.
> :: Take it back. The bike shop wants you to bring it back.
> :: Trust me. They would rather deal with the boy who cried
> :: wolf than the boy who trash talks the bike they sold
> :: him. There are many more reasons why they want you to
> :: bring it in.... just do it.
>
> Good points. I took it back. Problem solved. There is a seal at the bottom
> of the headset...a bit of lube there made the noise disappear. Thanks.

You're welcome. Interesting fix!

> :: You aren't the problem, the bike is. If it's internal
> :: you are doing more damage by riding it. Plus, the next
> :: time you go around a curve it may keep turning.
> :: Take it back. The bike shop wants you to bring it back.
> :: Trust me. They would rather deal with the boy who cried
> :: wolf than the boy who trash talks the bike they sold
> :: him. There are many more reasons why they want you to
> :: bring it in.... just do it.
>
> Good points. I took it back. Problem solved. There is a seal at the bottom
> of the headset...a bit of lube there made the noise disappear. Thanks.

Dang, you got to it before I did. I was going to suggest exactly that. Many
threadless headsets have plastic dust seals that sometimes squeak, and
either a bit of lube or repositioning usually gets rid of it. You might have
to add a bit of lube now & then to keep the noise away, but after a while it
shouldn't be a problem as the point of contact wears down a bit.

On the disc brakes you'd previously mentioned, you might have to settle for
a bit of noise. Most systems have pads that float, so they'll lightly scrape
on the rotor at times. Not enough drag to be an issue.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> [...]

::::: Take it back. The bike shop wants you to bring it
::::: back. Trust me. They would rather deal with the boy
::::: who cried wolf than the boy who trash talks the bike
::::: they sold him. There are many more reasons why they
::::: want you to bring it in.... just do it.
:::
::: Good points. I took it back. Problem solved. There is a
::: seal at the bottom of the headset...a bit of lube there
::: made the noise disappear. Thanks.
::
:: Dang, you got to it before I did. I was going to suggest
:: exactly that. Many threadless headsets have plastic dust
:: seals that sometimes squeak, and either a bit of lube or
:: repositioning usually gets rid of it. You might have to
:: add a bit of lube now & then to keep the noise away, but
:: after a while it shouldn't be a problem as the point of

How I tell if the headset is threadless (lack of threads? - which are
invisible from my POV)? I was reading a book about bike repair that talked
about them.

I'll have no problems adding lube in the future, exceedingly simple to do.
"Repacking" a headset sounds like a bit of work, though. On a brand new
machine that's out of the question.

::
:: On the disc brakes you'd previously mentioned, you might
:: have to settle for a bit of noise. Most systems have
:: pads that float, so they'll lightly scrape on the rotor
:: at times. Not enough drag to be an issue.

Personally, I think I have more than enough drag to be an issue, at least as
far as spinning the wheels while the bike is on the stand goes. On my other
bike, the wheels will spin and spin (it has rim brakes and is well ridden).
On this one, they both stop quickly. Just doesn't seem right to me. I'll
always be pedalling to overcome that drag. You know that ain't right! :)
The LBS owner didn't seem to think it was a big deal, but....I really wish
it would go away too. After a bit, I'm going to get at working those brakes!
:)

I do very much appreciate the comments of everyone this thread!

::
:: --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
:: www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
::
::
:: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:: news:[email protected]...
::: "dholland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
::: news:[email protected]
::::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
::::: news:[email protected]...
:::::: "dholland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:::::: news:[email protected]
:::::::: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in
:::::::: message news:[email protected]...
::::::::: I have a new bike that still has less than 20
::::::::: miles on it.
:::::::::
::::::::: All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing noises
::::::::: as I turn the front wheel from left to right.
::::::::: This noise sounds like rubber or plastic moving
::::::::: against
::::::::: metal. It's coming from the steering column but I
::::::::: don't think it has to do with cable housing
::::::::: material rubbing on the frame (as suggested as a
::::::::: possibility by someone else) . Is that normal and
::::::::: will this work out as I get this machine into
::::::::: usage?
:::::::::
::::::::: Thanks.
::::::::
:::::::: Was this an eBay purchase? If not, take it back.
:::::::: I'm sure the dealer wants you to have a
:::::::: mechanically sound/safe bike.
::::::
:::::: No, it's a LBS purchase. I've taken it back twice
:::::: since I got it for rubbing disc brakes. I hate to
:::::: sound like the boy who cries "wolf" at every minor
:::::: issue. This is one noisy bike, though.
::::::
:::::: But this isn't normal, right? Is one even supposed
:::::: to notice a headset?
::::::
:::::: I've looked and looked and can't find anything else
:::::: that may be cause the noise. My ear says the sound it
:::::: coming from somewhere along the headset. I've tried
:::::: grabbing the cables at various places to see if I
:::::: could impact the noise in some way, but that makes no
:::::: difference.
::::::
:::::
::::: You aren't the problem, the bike is. If it's internal
::::: you are doing more damage by riding it. Plus, the next
::::: time you go around a curve it may keep turning.
::::: Take it back. The bike shop wants you to bring it
::::: back. Trust me. They would rather deal with the boy
::::: who cried wolf than the boy who trash talks the bike
::::: they sold him. There are many more reasons why they
::::: want you to bring it in.... just do it.
:::
::: Good points. I took it back. Problem solved. There is a
::: seal at the bottom of the headset...a bit of lube there
::: made the noise disappear. Thanks.

> How I tell if the headset is threadless (lack of threads? - which are
> invisible from my POV)? I was reading a book about bike repair that talked
> about them.

If your handlebar stem clamps to the fork using a couple of pinch bolts,
it's threadless. Actually, it's hard to believe you could find a threaded
fork on a mountain bike with a shock in an LBS.

> Personally, I think I have more than enough drag to be an issue, at least
> as far as spinning the wheels while the bike is on the stand goes. On my
> other bike, the wheels will spin and spin (it has rim brakes and is well
> ridden). On this one, they both stop quickly. Just doesn't seem right to
> me. I'll always be pedalling to overcome that drag. You know that ain't
> right! :) The LBS owner didn't seem to think it was a big deal, but....I
> really wish it would go away too. After a bit, I'm going to get at working
> those brakes!

Best bet is to try some other bikes at the dealer and see how their wheels
spin compared to yours. What brand & model brake is on your bike? Or if you
just give the model of your bike, we can run things down from there.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > How I tell if the headset is threadless (lack of threads? - which are
> > invisible from my POV)? I was reading a book about bike repair that talked
> > about them.

> If your handlebar stem clamps to the fork using a couple of pinch bolts,
> it's threadless. Actually, it's hard to believe you could find a threaded
> fork on a mountain bike with a shock in an LBS....

I can think of a bike that combines a threaded steerer tube and a stem
that clamps on with pinch bolts (there is an intermediate tube with a
quill). If this is the case, removal is done by unbolting the stem,
then removing the intermediate tube with a LONG hex key.

Who said anything about mountain bikes and shocks?

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

> Who said anything about mountain bikes and shocks?

Good point! We sell both 'cross bikes and commuters with disc brakes, 700c
wheels and no shock.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> > How I tell if the headset is threadless (lack of threads? - which are
>> > invisible from my POV)? I was reading a book about bike repair that
>> > talked
>> > about them.

>> If your handlebar stem clamps to the fork using a couple of pinch bolts,
>> it's threadless. Actually, it's hard to believe you could find a threaded
>> fork on a mountain bike with a shock in an LBS....

> I can think of a bike that combines a threaded steerer tube and a stem
> that clamps on with pinch bolts (there is an intermediate tube with a
> quill). If this is the case, removal is done by unbolting the stem,
> then removing the intermediate tube with a LONG hex key.
>
> Who said anything about mountain bikes and shocks?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]
::: How I tell if the headset is threadless (lack of
::: threads? - which are invisible from my POV)? I was
::: reading a book about bike repair that talked about them.
::
:: If your handlebar stem clamps to the fork using a couple
:: of pinch bolts, it's threadless. Actually, it's hard to
:: believe you could find a threaded fork on a mountain
:: bike with a shock in an LBS.
::
::: Personally, I think I have more than enough drag to be
::: an issue, at least as far as spinning the wheels while
::: the bike is on the stand goes. On my other bike, the
::: wheels will spin and spin (it has rim brakes and is
::: well ridden). On this one, they both stop quickly.
::: Just doesn't seem right to me. I'll always be pedalling
::: to overcome that drag. You know that ain't right! :)
::: The LBS owner didn't seem to think it was a big deal,
::: but....I really wish it would go away too. After a bit,
::: I'm going to get at working those brakes!
::
:: Best bet is to try some other bikes at the dealer and
:: see how their wheels spin compared to yours. What brand
:: & model brake is on your bike? Or if you just give the
:: model of your bike, we can run things down from there.

They are Tektro Aquila Disc brakes. The bike is a RANS Stratus XP, which is
not a mountain bike and there are no shocks! :)

I put about 50 miles on it over the past two days...the brakes seem to be
becoming less noisy.

::
[...]
::::::::::::
:::::::::::: All of a sudden, it is now making rubbing
:::::::::::: noises as I turn the front wheel from left to
:::::::::::: right. This noise sounds like rubber or
:::::::::::: plastic moving against
:::::::::::: metal. It's coming from the steering column
:::::::::::: but I don't think it has to do with cable
:::::::::::: housing material rubbing on the frame (as
:::::::::::: suggested as a possibility by someone else) .
:::::::::::: Is that normal and will this work out as I get
:::::::::::: this machine into usage?