Rubbing thigh help.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jan Sacharuk, May 21, 2003.

  1. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    Cycling has some nasty side effects.

    For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past couple of
    years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now.

    My thighs have grown large enough now that when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't
    cover the area properly, and pants don't really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when I
    walk, there's a section of thigh that rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've rubbed
    the skin away on my inner left thigh, and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I tried a
    bandaid, and that didn't work. None of my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling shorts, but
    I figure I'm not giving the wound any room to breathe if I wear those around all the time. I'm going
    to try a large gauze bandage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.

    I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    >
    > For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past couple
    > of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now.
    >
    > My thighs have grown large enough now that when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't
    > cover the area properly, and pants don't really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when
    > I walk, there's a section of thigh that rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've
    > rubbed the skin away on my inner left thigh, and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I
    > tried a bandaid, and that didn't work. None of my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling
    > shorts, but I figure I'm not giving the wound any room to breathe if I wear those around all the
    > time. I'm going to try a large gauze bandage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    >
    > I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?
    >
    > JS

    strangely, i have the same problem, though without the sore spot (guess your just bigger than me ;-)

    One option may be to buy a cheap pair of lycra shorts, maybe trim them so they don't show below
    regular clothing. they should help to relive the direct rubbing. and they breath better than any
    other option i can think of. i think too most "sports" underwear (of the shorts variety) are close
    enough fitting that they may prevent rubbing.

    I'm sure all the females here will contradict me though.
    --
    ~Travis

  3. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    > Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    >
    > For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past couple
    > of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now.
    >
    > My thighs have grown large enough now that when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't
    > cover the area properly, and pants don't really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when
    > I walk, there's a section of thigh that rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've
    > rubbed the skin away on my inner left thigh, and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I
    > tried a bandaid, and that didn't work. None of my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling
    > shorts, but I figure I'm not giving the wound any room to breathe if I wear those around all the
    > time. I'm going to try a large gauze bandage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    >
    > I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?
    >
    > JS

    Have you tried walking like a cowboy? Get a hat and some chaps and no one will think anything of it.

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Jan Sacharuk thoughtfully penned:
    > Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    >
    > For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past couple
    > of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now.
    >
    > My thighs have grown large enough now that when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't
    > cover the area properly, and pants don't really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when
    > I walk, there's a section of thigh that rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've
    > rubbed the skin away on my inner left thigh, and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I
    > tried a bandaid, and that didn't work. None of my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling
    > shorts, but I figure I'm not giving the wound any room to breathe if I wear those around all the
    > time. I'm going to try a large gauze bandage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    >
    > I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?
    >
    > JS

    try control panty hose under your clothes.

  5. Dick wrote:
    > Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    >
    >> Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    >>
    >> For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past couple
    >> of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now. My thighs have grown large enough now that
    >> when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't cover the area properly, and pants don't
    >> really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when I walk, there's a section of thigh that
    >> rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've rubbed the skin away on my inner left thigh,
    >> and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I tried a bandaid, and that didn't work. None of
    >> my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling shorts, but I figure I'm not giving the wound
    >> any room to breathe if I wear those around all the time. I'm going to try a large gauze bandage
    >> tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    >>
    >> I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?
    >>
    >> JS
    >>

    > Have you tried walking like a cowboy? Get a hat and some chaps and no one will think
    > anything of it.

    Or just wear a "Gay Pride" tee-shirt.

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    > Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    >
    > For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past couple
    > of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now.
    >
    > My thighs have grown large enough now that when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't
    > cover the area properly, and pants don't really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when
    > I walk, there's a section of thigh that rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've
    > rubbed the skin away on my inner left thigh, and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I
    > tried a bandaid, and that didn't work. None of my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling
    > shorts, but I figure I'm not giving the wound any room to breathe if I wear those around all the
    > time. I'm going to try a large gauze bandage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    >
    > I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?

    I've got big thighs <debates showing embarassing picture... no>, about 26" each. I've never had a
    problem with sores except for when I'm on the beach and wet sand ends up on the inside of the thigh.
    Maybe my legs are just used to it, or it could be that you're wearing rough clothes.

  7. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    > > Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    > >
    > > For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past
    > > couple of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now.
    > >
    > > My thighs have grown large enough now that when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't
    > > cover the area properly, and pants don't really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now
    > > when I walk, there's a section of thigh that rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where
    > > I've rubbed the skin away on my inner left thigh, and I don't know how to stop it and let it
    > > heal. I tried a bandaid, and that didn't work. None of my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy
    > > cycling shorts, but I figure I'm not giving the wound any room to breathe if I wear those around
    > > all the time. I'm going to try a large gauze bandage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    > >
    > > I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?
    >
    > I've got big thighs <debates showing embarassing picture... no>, about 26" each. I've never had a
    > problem with sores except for when I'm on the beach and wet sand ends up on the inside of the
    > thigh. Maybe my legs are just used to it, or it could be that you're wearing rough clothes.

    strangely, my thighs are the same size. the only thing that shows of rubbing is a curious lack of
    hair on the inner thigh where they rub from time to time.
    --
    ~Travis

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Dick wrote:
    > > Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    > >
    > >> Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    > >>
    > >> For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past
    > >> couple of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now. My thighs have grown large enough now
    > >> that when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't cover the area properly, and pants
    > >> don't really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when I walk, there's a section of
    > >> thigh that rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've rubbed the skin away on my
    > >> inner left thigh, and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I tried a bandaid, and that
    > >> didn't work. None of my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling shorts, but I figure I'm
    > >> not giving the wound any room to breathe if I wear those around all the time. I'm going to try
    > >> a large gauze bandage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    > >>
    > >> I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?
    > >>
    > >> JS
    > >>

    > > Have you tried walking like a cowboy? Get a hat and some chaps and no one will think anything
    > > of it.
    >
    > Or just wear a "Gay Pride" tee-shirt.

    for a woman? if she was gay, i don't think she would be bow-legged. but then again...
    --
    ~Travis

  9. Dick

    Dick Guest

    > strangely, my thighs are the same size. the only thing that shows of rubbing is a curious lack of
    > hair on the inner thigh where they rub from time to time.

    Ditto that, just a bald spot for me as well.

  10. bomba wrote:
    > Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    >
    >> Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    >>
    >> For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past couple
    >> of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now. My thighs have grown large enough now that
    >> when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't cover the area properly, and pants don't
    >> really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when I walk, there's a section of thigh that
    >> rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've rubbed the skin away on my inner left thigh,
    >> and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I tried a bandaid, and that didn't work. None of
    >> my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling shorts, but I figure I'm not giving the wound
    >> any room to breathe if I wear those around all the time. I'm going to try a large gauze bandage
    >> tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    >>
    >> I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?
    >

    > I've got big thighs <debates showing embarassing picture... no>,

    Awe c'mon...I'll show you mine if you show me yours:
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/poseur/clyde1.jpg

    > about 26" each. I've never had a problem with sores except for when I'm on the beach and wet sand
    > ends up on the inside of the thigh.

    You get that too, eh?

    > Maybe my legs are just used to it, or it could be that you're wearing rough clothes.

    And when I wear corduroy pant I make a nice <vVvvtT><vVvvtT><vVvvtT> sound when I walk

  11. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    Jan Sacharuk <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    >
    > For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past couple
    > of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now.
    >
    > My thighs have grown large enough now that when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't
    > cover the area properly, and pants don't really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when
    > I walk, there's a section of thigh that rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've
    > rubbed the skin away on my inner left thigh, and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I
    > tried a bandaid, and that didn't work. None of my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling
    > shorts, but I figure I'm not giving the wound any room to breathe if I wear those around all the
    > time. I'm going to try a large gauze bandage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    >
    > I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?
    >
    > JS

    Dear Thunder Thighs, I've got the same problem. To fix it, I hike my pants up until I have some
    serious male cameltoe. Actually, I'm not totally kidding. But not when I'm walking, only when I'm
    running and I start to feel the burn. Vaseline helps down there too. Who'd have thought it's for
    more than... never mind. One thing I definitely DON'T recommend is Icy Hot or Tiger Balm. Take my
    word for it. /s

  12. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > bomba wrote:
    > > Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    > >
    > >> Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    > >>
    > >> For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past
    > >> couple of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now. My thighs have grown large enough now
    > >> that when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't cover the area properly, and pants
    > >> don't really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when I walk, there's a section of
    > >> thigh that rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've rubbed the skin away on my
    > >> inner left thigh, and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I tried a bandaid, and that
    > >> didn't work. None of my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling shorts, but I figure I'm
    > >> not giving the wound any room to breathe if I wear those around all the time. I'm going to try
    > >> a large gauze bandage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    > >>
    > >> I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?
    > >

    > > I've got big thighs <debates showing embarassing picture... no>,
    >
    > Awe c'mon...I'll show you mine if you show me yours:
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/poseur/clyde1.jpg

    <picture pending...>

    hey, i got gloves just like those, but fingerless.

    their good but could use a bit more padding under the thumb joint (or maybe a change out of grips
    may be in order).

    Though i must say, if you can pull off lycra, i should be able to. i have about the same build, with
    a bit more definition in the upper legs ;-) (sorry, cheap shot)
    --
    ~Travis

  13. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

    >> I've got big thighs <debates showing embarassing picture... no>,
    >

    > Awe c'mon...I'll show you mine if you show me yours:
    > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/poseur/clyde1.jpg

    Oh man, mine's much worse than that. Oh well, if you can't laugh at yourself...

    This was the result of a drunken 'who's got the biggest thighs competition?' in a bar in Madrid. If
    you're going to look at it, put on the sunnies, my thighs have a 10000 candle power rating. And
    *don't* look at the groin of the guy on the right. http://www.j-harris.net/rugby/Madrid/20.jpg

    >> about 26" each. I've never had a problem with sores except for when I'm on the beach and wet sand
    >> ends up on the inside of the thigh.
    >

    > You get that too, eh?

    Uh huh. Painful, isn't it?

    >> Maybe my legs are just used to it, or it could be that you're wearing rough clothes.
    >

    > And when I wear corduroy pant I make a nice <vVvvtT><vVvvtT><vVvvtT> sound when I walk

    And tracksuit bottoms make a swooshing noise...

    Bet you looked at the groin of the guy on the right :)

  14. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Jan Sacharuk <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Cycling has some nasty side effects.
    >
    > For one thing, I've gotten bigger and stronger with all the riding I've done over the past couple
    > of years. Also, I hate walking more than ever now.
    >
    > My thighs have grown large enough now that when I walk, they rub together. My boxer-briefs don't
    > cover the area properly, and pants don't really seperate my legs well enough either. So, now when
    > I walk, there's a section of thigh that rubs on each leg. So, now I've got a sore where I've
    > rubbed the skin away on my inner left thigh, and I don't know how to stop it and let it heal. I
    > tried a bandaid, and that didn't work. None of my clothes do it, except for my non-baggy cycling
    > shorts, but I figure I'm not giving the wound any room to breathe if I wear those around all the
    > time. I'm going to try a large gauze bandage tomorrow to see if that helps at all.
    >
    > I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?

    Go "commando".

    JD

  15. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    >
    > >> I've got big thighs <debates showing embarassing picture... no>,
    > >

    > > Awe c'mon...I'll show you mine if you show me yours:
    > > http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/poseur/clyde1.jpg
    >
    > Oh man, mine's much worse than that. Oh well, if you can't laugh at yourself...
    >
    > This was the result of a drunken 'who's got the biggest thighs competition?' in a bar in Madrid.
    > If you're going to look at it, put on the sunnies, my thighs have a 10000 candle power rating. And
    > *don't* look at the groin of the guy on the right. http://www.j-harris.net/rugby/Madrid/20.jpg

    yeah, that's about what my legs look like, though maybe not quite as robust.

    hmmm, how to take a picture of my own legs. <digs out video camera tripod>

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/tmp/legs.jpg no comments on my wear-around-the-house (and biking)
    shorts, i know they need washing (worked on my car a bit this morning).
    --
    ~Travis

  16. bomba wrote:
    > Bet you looked at the groin of the guy on the right :)

    Nope, didn;t pull the pic up yet.... SWMBO is siting on the couch looking over my shoulder.

  17. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Technician wrote:

    >>Dick wrote:

    >>>Have you tried walking like a cowboy? Get a hat and some chaps and no one will think
    >>>anything of it.
    >>
    >>Or just wear a "Gay Pride" tee-shirt.
    >>

    > for a woman? if she was gay, i don't think she would be bow-legged. but then again...

    JS is not female, you doof. Even if you haven't been around long enough to pick that up, the clues
    are there in the message (boxer-briefs?!)

    Kathleen

  18. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > bomba wrote:
    > > Bet you looked at the groin of the guy on the right :)
    >

    > Nope, didn;t pull the pic up yet.... SWMBO is siting on the couch looking over my shoulder.

    If i recall, i think there was a polarized screen you could place over a monitor so then you had to
    be wearing the special glasses to see the screen. theoretically you could be checking the "bad"
    sites with your kids beside you. never seen one in person or hear a review of them. just remember
    seeing something about them.
    --
    ~Travis

  19. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Dick wrote:

    >> I'm SURE someone else has had this problem before me. Any advice?
    >>

    > Have you tried walking like a cowboy? Get a hat and some chaps and no one will think
    > anything of it.

    I DID think about it briefly, but then remembered that I HATE cowboys.

    Jan

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code
    header to see my Geek Code
    DNA neither cares nor knows.
    DNA just is. And we dance to its music.
    -Richard Dawkins

  20. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, JD wrote:

    > Go "commando".

    That would just make it worse. The problem is too little cloth between my legs, not too much.

    JS