Rubbish article in the Indy

wafflycat wrote:
> See
>
> http://motoring.independent.co.uk/comment/article1362350.ece
>
> What a pile of tosh. Apparently we need to be licenced for our own good.
> And I quote:-
>
> "You're worse off by bike, because every time you put your helmet on and
> take to the roads you are asking for trouble. I've known cyclists who
> have suffered broken ankles, broken jaws, broken teeth, broken pelvises.
> I don't care how many pennies you've saved or how much weight you've
> lost; that will never be a prize worth seeking against the risk of such
> serious injury."
>
> What a moron. He needs reminding that motorists kill and injure far more
> motorists than cyclists, so perhaps he should be concentrating on
> removing the danger from the roads.... errant motorists.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Well I must live a charmed life by this bloke's standards. I have been
on my bike almost every day since I was 21 (Didn't learn to ride a bike
until then). I am now 49, and have never broken anything. I've had some
pretty nasty bruising, but nothing worse.
Jo

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> See
>
> http://motoring.independent.co.uk/comment/article1362350.ece
>
> What a pile of tosh. Apparently we need to be licenced for our own good.
> And I quote:-
>
> "You're worse off by bike, because every time you put your helmet on and
> take to the roads you are asking for trouble. I've known cyclists who have
> suffered broken ankles, broken jaws, broken teeth, broken pelvises. I
> don't care how many pennies you've saved or how much weight you've lost;
> that will never be a prize worth seeking against the risk of such serious
> injury."

Sounds like another one of these lardy arsed drivers who are jealous of our
slim waists and taut bums who believe that if they write enough of this tosh
we are going to go away and stop showing them up :) I get it all the time
at work, middle aged men who arrive in their company 4x4s trying to convince
me that what I do is dangerous and "doesn't look like rain", it's "a bit
windy today", "aren't the roads too slippy?", "get another car, it's far too
cold today" etc, etc. What they mean is, I want you to be fat and unfit like
me. As for not beating cars in heavy traffic, in his dreams.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Nick Kew wrote:
> /me enjoys cooking, and finds the blackberry season particularly
> satisfying 'cos it's something good I don't have to buy.

Yesterday I made porridge for breakfast - with blackberries that I
picked from the field next door just five minutes before I started
making it. Heaven!

d.

davek wrote:

> Yesterday I made porridge for breakfast - with blackberries that I
> picked from the field next door just five minutes before I started
> making it. Heaven!

Is it theft to pick wild fruit? I onlyask as I keep looking at all the
free booty round here, but knowing my luck as soon as get me carrier bag
out I'd get nicked :-(

bfn,

Tony B

"Tony B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> davek wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I made porridge for breakfast - with blackberries that I
>> picked from the field next door just five minutes before I started
>> making it. Heaven!

> Is it theft to pick wild fruit? I onlyask as I keep looking at all the
> free booty round here, but knowing my luck as soon as get me carrier bag
> out I'd get nicked :-(
>
> bfn,
>
> Tony B

Technically yes but in practice I don't think anyone would care. After all,
I don't hear of many people getting prosecuted for collecting shells off the
beach.

Why the **** should it be?

> I onlyask as I keep looking at all the
> free booty round here, but knowing my luck as soon as get me carrier bag
> out I'd get nicked :-(

I was out picking blackberries today, when a woman hailed me and asked
if I'd like some (cooking) apples to go with them. Yes please! She had
a couple of big, old trees carrying huge amounts of surplus fruit.
So now my two biggest saucepans are filled one with blackberries and
the other with apples, and there's plenty both to make a big
[to be decided - most likely pie or crumble] and to feed the freezer.

I really like the "mellow fruitfulness" part of this season:)

--
Nick Kew

http://www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0132409674

Tony B wrote on 06/09/2006 18:26 +0100:
> davek wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I made porridge for breakfast - with blackberries that I
>> picked from the field next door just five minutes before I started
>> making it. Heaven!

> Is it theft to pick wild fruit? I onlyask as I keep looking at all the
> free booty round here, but knowing my luck as soon as get me carrier bag
> out I'd get nicked :-(

Then you'd get porridge with your blackberries

IGMC ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:50:39 +0100, "Adam Lea" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Technically yes but in practice I don't think anyone would care. After all,
>I don't hear of many people getting prosecuted for collecting shells off the
>beach.

I know of prosecutions for taking stones from a beach...

Jim.

Response to Jim Ley:
> >Technically yes but in practice I don't think anyone would care. After all,
> >I don't hear of many people getting prosecuted for collecting shells off the
> >beach.

> I know of prosecutions for taking stones from a beach...

Were the thefts kid-with-plastic-bucket scale, or bloke-with-JCB scale?

ISTR hearing recently that re the PP, taking wild fruit is not illegal
if it's for personal consumption, but it is illegal if it's for
commercial purposes. Or something like that.

--
Mark, UK
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> writes:

> me that what I do is dangerous and "doesn't look like rain", it's "a
> bit windy today", "aren't the roads too slippy?", "get another car,
> it's far too cold today" etc, etc. What they mean is, I want you to
> be fat and unfit like me. As for not beating cars in heavy traffic,
> in his dreams.

Well this fat bloke loves overtaking the queue of muppets in cars in
their queue going up the hill on the way to work in the morning.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Nick Kew wrote:

> She
> had a couple of big, old trees carrying huge amounts of surplus fruit.

It seems to be a good year for apples; a friend at work was handing out
bag-loads from his garden yesterday. Yummy ones as well! I think he's making
zider with the remainder.

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Nick Kew wrote:
>
> > She
> > had a couple of big, old trees carrying huge amounts of surplus fruit.

> It seems to be a good year for apples; a friend at work was handing out
> bag-loads from his garden yesterday. Yummy ones as well! I think he's making
> zider with the remainder.

Another few weeks for mine to reach perfection.. Strangely enough, a
really accessible tree in the front garden next to a bus stop hasn't
been scrumped yet..

...d

In article <[email protected]>
Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tony B wrote:
>
> > Is it theft to pick wild fruit?

> Why the **** should it be?

Because it belongs to someone - how would you like it if someone picked
flowers from your garden just because they could reach them from the
pavement?

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>
> Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tony B wrote:
>>
>> > Is it theft to pick wild fruit?

>> Why the **** should it be?
>>

> Because it belongs to someone - how would you like it if someone picked
> flowers from your garden just because they could reach them from the
> pavement?

Wild = doesn't belong to someone, pretty much by definition. Eg brambles at
the roadside, bilberries on the moors.

The difference between fruit and flowers is that the former are supposed to
be picked.

cheers,
clive

in message <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>
> Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tony B wrote:
>>
>> > Is it theft to pick wild fruit?

>> Why the **** should it be?
>>

> Because it belongs to someone - how would you like it if someone picked
> flowers from your garden just because they could reach them from the
> pavement?

If it's wild it doesn't belong to anyone.

to err is human, to lisp divine
;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Why the **** should it be?
> >>

> > Because it belongs to someone - how would you like it if someone picked
> > flowers from your garden just because they could reach them from the
> > pavement?

> If it's wild it doesn't belong to anyone.

By wild do you mean uncultivated? If something is growing on my land
then it is mine. Admittedly there is a tradition of gleaning
uncultivated produce, but it is quite probably not legal to expect to
be able to do so.

...d

In article <[email protected]>
Clive George <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Why the **** should it be?
> >>

> > Because it belongs to someone - how would you like it if someone picked
> > flowers from your garden just because they could reach them from the
> > pavement?

> Wild = doesn't belong to someone, pretty much by definition. Eg brambles at
> the roadside, bilberries on the moors.

So the hedge that the brambles are growing in doesn't belong to the
landowner?

> The difference between fruit and flowers is that the former are supposed to
> be picked.

If they're uncultivated then they're not /supposed/ to be anything.

In article <[email protected]>
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Why the **** should it be?
> >>

> > Because it belongs to someone - how would you like it if someone picked
> > flowers from your garden just because they could reach them from the
> > pavement?

> If it's wild it doesn't belong to anyone.

My back garden is wild, but everything that grows in it belongs to me.
If a neighbour prunes branches from an overhanging tree he is legally
required to offer to return them to me.

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> The difference between fruit and flowers is that the former are supposed
>> be picked.
>>

> If they're uncultivated then they're not /supposed/ to be anything.

They are supposed to be picked and eaten - that's how the plants reproduce.
Back in spring the mummy flower and the daddy flower loved each other very
much. Unlike their friends who got picked, they were left to their own
devices, and lo! a few months later a stork delivered a pile of
gooseberries. Or something like that.

cheers,
clive

In article <[email protected]>
Clive George <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >> The difference between fruit and flowers is that the former are supposed
> >> be picked.
> >>

> > If they're uncultivated then they're not /supposed/ to be anything.

> They are supposed to be picked and eaten - that's how the plants reproduce.
> Back in spring the mummy flower and the daddy flower loved each other very
> much. Unlike their friends who got picked, they were left to their own
> devices, and lo! a few months later a stork delivered a pile of
> gooseberries. Or something like that.

I think you mean a thrush deposited a splatter of indescribable purplish
stuff on my car :) I was only talking about human consumption, which
doesn't benefit the plant.