Rucksacks that can go on the bike too

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Thompson, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Been searching for ages, but can't find a rucksack that'll be a pannier too. It would need to be at
    least, ooh, 20 litres and convert from rucksack to pannier quickly and easily. Oh, and be cheap :)
    I know they're about as there is one in the Argos catalogue, but they don't sell it any more.
    Anyone seen one?

    Tags:

  2. Twangin

    Twangin Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for
    hot)> wrote:

    > Been searching for ages, but can't find a rucksack that'll be a pannier too. It would need to be
    > at least, ooh, 20 litres and convert from rucksack to pannier quickly and easily. Oh, and be cheap
    > :) I know they're about as there is one in the Argos catalogue, but they don't sell it any more.
    > Anyone seen one?

    Karrimor do a Rackpack, 20 litres, rucksack straps hide away to form not a pannier but a pack that
    will sit on top of a pannier rack. Had one a while ago, sold it with a bike but ISTR the fixing was
    a bit of a pain but they have restyled it since then so it may have improved.

    --
    Swop the ok-coral for yahoo to reply

  3. Let

    Let Guest

    You might take a look at the Arkel Overdesign Panniers from Canada.
    Definitely not cheap, but quality is always worth the pain of purchase.
    They make beautiful products.
    "Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>
    > Been searching for ages, but can't find a rucksack that'll be a pannier
    too.
    > It would need to be at least, ooh, 20 litres and convert from rucksack to pannier quickly and
    > easily. Oh, and be cheap :) I know they're about as there is one in the Argos catalogue, but they
    > don't sell it any more. Anyone seen one?

  4. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of Twangin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Karrimor do a Rackpack, 20 litres, rucksack straps hide away to form not a pannier but a pack that
    > will sit on top of a pannier rack.

    They do one that converts between a small rucksack and a small pannier. I had such a thing once, but
    converting the wretched thing was more trouble than cycling with it on my back, or walking carrying
    a conventional pannier. Big waste of money.

    --
    Finally, someone takes a stand against Humbug. Three cheers for Austrian shop workers!

  5. Mark Thompson wrote:
    > Been searching for ages, but can't find a rucksack that'll be a pannier too. It would need to be
    > at least, ooh, 20 litres and convert from rucksack to pannier quickly and easily. Oh, and be cheap
    > :) I know they're about as there is one in the Argos catalogue, but they don't sell it any more.
    > Anyone seen one?

    You might want to have a look at Ortlieb. They sell a carrying-system that fits to most of their
    panniers: http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=carry-bp

    The only disadvantage - Ortlieb is quite expensive :-/ But it is worth the money and completely
    waterproof.

    Andreas

  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Andreas Schulze-Bäing" wrote ...
    > Mark Thompson wrote:
    > > Been searching for ages, but can't find a rucksack that'll be a pannier too. It would need to be
    > > at least, ooh, 20 litres and convert from rucksack to pannier quickly and easily. Oh, and be
    > > cheap :) I know they're about as there is one in the Argos catalogue, but they don't sell it
    > > any more. Anyone seen one?
    >
    > You might want to have a look at Ortlieb. They sell a carrying-system that fits to most of their
    > panniers:

    > The only disadvantage - Ortlieb is quite expensive :-/ But it is worth the money and completely
    > waterproof.
    >
    > Andreas

    I've got the Ortlieb carrying system, and I agree that Ortlieb products are well worth the cost. But
    the Ortlieb carrying system is time consuming enough to use that I don't use it very often. I find
    it good for a multi-day tour where I might want to go for a day hike part way through the tour. If I
    want to carry stuff on and off the bike on a daily basis (mixed mode commute, for example) I find
    myself more inclined to use a messenger bag. YMMV, of course.
    --
    mark