Rude and dangerous?

Larry Farrell

Guest
The following link was posted in another newsgroup, specifically a
motorcycle group, with a comment about adrenaline generation without a
motor involved. While I found it be an interesting video, I was also
amazed at the aggressively obnoxious attitude of the two riders
involved. It seems quite clear that several other riders were pushed
off the trail by the people doing the ride shown in the video, and I
questioned why someone wasn't sent down the trail ahead of them to clear
the way if they were going to try for some sort of time record.
Surprisingly, there was only one response to the message I posted in
that group, coming from the person who had originally posted the link.
What do you folks think about it?

http://www.dailymotion.com/fr/clust...eo/x2m62b_mondial-du-vtt-descente-de-venosc-c

On Feb 24, 6:27 pm, Larry Farrell <[email protected]> wrote:
> The following link was posted in another newsgroup, specifically a
> motorcycle group, with a comment about adrenaline generation without a
> motor involved.  While I found it be an interesting video, I was also
> amazed at the aggressively obnoxious attitude of the two riders
> involved.  It seems quite clear that several other riders were pushed
> off the trail by the people doing the ride shown in the video, and I
> questioned why someone wasn't sent down the trail ahead of them to clear
> the way if they were going to try for some sort of time record.
> Surprisingly, there was only one response to the message I posted in
> that group, coming from the person who had originally posted the link.
> What do you folks think about it?
>
> http://www.dailymotion.com/fr/cluster/extreme/featured/video/x2m62b_m...

I'm sure everyone there knows exactly what it is they signed up for
when the headed down that trail.

I didn't see anything that looked out of place. Had that been a random
cross country trail with hikers, horses, etc, that would have been a
different story. But that was downhill on a downhill course.

I'm not a rabid downhiller just speaking to try to justify my own
behavior. As a matter of fact, I'd rather ride up that trail than
down.

Joseph

In article
<18caf836-55a0-4050-9c01-223ec77c1dab@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> On Feb 24, 6:27 pm, Larry Farrell <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The following link was posted in another newsgroup, specifically a
> > motorcycle group, with a comment about adrenaline generation without a
> > motor involved.  While I found it be an interesting video, I was also
> > amazed at the aggressively obnoxious attitude of the two riders
> > involved.  It seems quite clear that several other riders were pushed
> > off the trail by the people doing the ride shown in the video, and I
> > questioned why someone wasn't sent down the trail ahead of them to clear
> > the way if they were going to try for some sort of time record.
> > Surprisingly, there was only one response to the message I posted in
> > that group, coming from the person who had originally posted the link.
> > What do you folks think about it?
> >
> > http://www.dailymotion.com/fr/cluster/extreme/featured/video/x2m62b_m...
> >
> > --

> I'm sure everyone there knows exactly what it is they signed up for
> when the headed down that trail.
>
> I didn't see anything that looked out of place. Had that been a random
> cross country trail with hikers, horses, etc, that would have been a
> different story. But that was downhill on a downhill course.
>
> I'm not a rabid downhiller just speaking to try to justify my own
> behavior. As a matter of fact, I'd rather ride up that trail than
> down.
>
> Joseph

I agree with Joseph, more or less, though I would say that the pair were
exceptionally aggressive in their passes.

Note, however, that I think the usual etiquette on a trail like that
would be for slower riders to give way as best they can.

On Feb 24, 11:27 am, Larry Farrell <[email protected]> wrote:
> The following link was posted in another newsgroup, specifically a
> motorcycle group, with a comment about adrenaline generation without a
> motor involved.  While I found it be an interesting video, I was also
> amazed at the aggressively obnoxious attitude of the two riders
> involved.  It seems quite clear that several other riders were pushed
> off the trail by the people doing the ride shown in the video, and I
> questioned why someone wasn't sent down the trail ahead of them to clear
> the way if they were going to try for some sort of time record.
> Surprisingly, there was only one response to the message I posted in
> that group, coming from the person who had originally posted the link.
> What do you folks think about it?
>
> http://www.dailymotion.com/fr/cluster/extreme/featured/video/x2m62b_m...

What are you talking about? I didn't see anything rude about the guys
riding. They just caught up with some slower riders and went past
them, even thanking (merci) some riders who got out of the way. It's
no different to an 'on-yer-left' when out riding XC. Dangerous, yes,
they're dropping a couple thousand feet at speeds maybe reaching
30mph, standard fare for dowhhill/shuttle run riding. At one point the
guy wearing the camera almost wipes out on a corner, you can tell from
his nervous laughter he just crapped himself.

I rode at Whistler the other year and I knew I wasn't going to be one
of the fastest guys out there and so rode anticipating being caught
and prepared to allow faster riders past.

On Feb 24, 9:27 am, Larry Farrell <[email protected]> wrote:
> The following link was posted in another newsgroup, specifically a
> motorcycle group, with a comment about adrenaline generation without a
> motor involved. While I found it be an interesting video, I was also
> amazed at the aggressively obnoxious attitude of the two riders
> involved. It seems quite clear that several other riders were pushed
> off the trail by the people doing the ride shown in the video, and I
> questioned why someone wasn't sent down the trail ahead of them to clear
> the way if they were going to try for some sort of time record.
> Surprisingly, there was only one response to the message I posted in
> that group, coming from the person who had originally posted the link.
> What do you folks think about it?
>
> http://www.dailymotion.com/fr/cluster/extreme/featured/video/x2m62b_m...

That is a very good video, thank you for posting the link 8)