Rude remarks, lookin' for friends

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Seth Jayson, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    Here's what I've learned about DF riders who make snippy remarks about my 'bent. They are normally
    just looking to start a conversation. They are usually just kidding. If you can have a sense of
    humor too, you'll have a much better time.

    That doesn't mean they don't think your bike is for dorks, but that doesn't mean you can't
    be friends.

    On my commute, it's a rare day that I'm not cheered by several motorists as if I were on a
    flower-cover float, throwing out gummy bears. Cars stop and tell me I've got the coolest bike
    they've ever seen. (Happened twice yesterday, once already today.)

    Most upright riders act the same way. It's only a very few fancy boys who won't be glad to make
    the acquaintance of a 'bent rider. I mean, you're still riding a bike, and that's a bond,
    especially in traffic.

    Nearly all my bike friends ride uprights. They continually razz me about my 'bent. Only one of them
    can drop me, but he's on a raceready Lemond, and I'm on a Rocket with fenders. He's got 2x my miles,
    but believe you me, he's next on the list. This is all in good fun.

    Forget the occasional wanker, but put it in your rear view mirror, if you can.

    Tags:

  2. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    :)
    Since becoming bent about 5 1/2 weeks ago, maybe 6, I have gotten nothing but great comments - like "Cool bike Mister, wanna trade?"

    "That's some fancy freaking footwork!"

    And lots of thumbs up!

    I personally think bents are just too cool, and if that means that I am a dork, then dork I am......and proud of it! Can't wait til my fenders get here.:D

  3. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    The funniest observation I have found is now Harley riders wave to me when they couldn't care less
    when I was on an upright. Maybe I look like an organic powered chopper? Chas

  4. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Yup, I got that on my V2, but it stopped when I traded that bike for my Giro...

    "Dj Blag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The funniest observation I have found is now Harley riders wave to me when they couldn't care less
    > when I was on an upright. Maybe I look like an organic powered chopper? Chas

  5. Bg

    Bg Guest

    Seth, Yeah my experience too. The posers are posers regardless of the bike I'm on. On last
    Saturday's ride nobody even mentioned the bent except when I'd pass riders 50# heavier than me
    coasting on downhills and then it was compliments. And who says bents can't ride in pacelines
    http://community.webshots.com/user/ipedal Click on Paceline folder. bill g

    Seth Jayson wrote:

    > Here's what I've learned about DF riders who make snippy remarks about my 'bent. They are normally
    > just looking to start a conversation. They are usually just kidding. If you can have a sense of
    > humor too, you'll have a much better time.
    >
    > That doesn't mean they don't think your bike is for dorks, but that doesn't mean you can't be
    > friends.
    >
    > On my commute, it's a rare day that I'm not cheered by several motorists as if I were on a
    > flower-cover float, throwing out gummy bears. Cars stop and tell me I've got the coolest bike
    > they've ever seen. (Happened twice yesterday, once already today.)
    >
    > Most upright riders act the same way. It's only a very few fancy boys who won't be glad to make
    > the acquaintance of a 'bent rider. I mean, you're still riding a bike, and that's a bond,
    > especially in traffic.
    >
    > Nearly all my bike friends ride uprights. They continually razz me about my 'bent. Only one of
    > them can drop me, but he's on a raceready Lemond, and I'm on a Rocket with fenders. He's got 2x my
    > miles, but believe you me, he's next on the list. This is all in good fun.
    >
    > Forget the occasional wanker, but put it in your rear view mirror, if you can.

  6. EXCELLENT Paceline Photo!!! EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Seth, Yeah my experience too. The posers are posers regardless of the bike I'm on. On last
    > Saturday's ride nobody even mentioned the bent except when I'd pass riders 50# heavier than me
    > coasting on downhills and then it was compliments. And who says bents can't ride in pacelines
    > http://community.webshots.com/user/ipedal Click on Paceline folder. bill g

  7. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Well I was smiling and waving in a couple of others the reporter took but she caught us on a climb
    in that on that one and the paper won't sell/release any photos but the ones that are published. Go
    figure. bill g

    "EZ Biker :)" wrote:

    > EXCELLENT Paceline Photo!!! EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta
    > Aero Pilot)
    >
    > "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Seth, Yeah my experience too. The posers are posers regardless of the bike I'm on. On last
    > > Saturday's ride nobody even mentioned the bent except when I'd pass riders 50# heavier than me
    > > coasting on downhills and then it was compliments. And who says bents can't ride in pacelines
    > > http://community.webshots.com/user/ipedal Click on Paceline folder. bill g

  8. Geoff Adams

    Geoff Adams Guest

    Bill,

    Wonderful picture! A great image to demonstrate the aero advantage of a bent. What is your bike? Is
    it a Saber? I like your narrow bars.

    -Geoff

    >>"bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>Seth, Yeah my experience too. The posers are posers regardless of the bike I'm on. On last
    >>>Saturday's ride nobody even mentioned the bent except when I'd pass riders 50# heavier than me
    >>>coasting on downhills and then it was compliments. And who says bents can't ride in pacelines
    >>>http://community.webshots.com/user/ipedal Click on Paceline folder. bill g

  9. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    I have found that the wedgies are generally very interested in my bike rather than putting it down.

    Of course, there are the wedgie riders that do not want to look likethey are interested so they glance as hard as they can out of the side of their eyes.

    Most, though, are always very cordial to me.

    Derek

  10. PreciousBbird

    PreciousBbird New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2003

    That is a great shot! You look so nonchalant and comfortable. I think you are the only one in the photo who looks comfortable, in fact, smiles or no!

  11. A&B

    A&B Guest

    geoff, It's a Bacchetta Aero, and it *is* about the bike ;-) The bars in the pic are an EVO thing
    that I cut down to get my hands out of the wind, with a RANS riser. I like the look of the Bacchetta
    bars and am still messing around with 'em but for me anyway I seem more aero with the current setup.
    bill "paceline" g