Rudeness, Manners And Aggression

Mar 11, 2015
I have experienced a couple of times now some serious rudeness from cyclists, some have been friendly and lovely but couple have been down right A holes. Both times it has been when I was cycling up a fairly secluded path surrounded by trees and I did not realise they were there because if I had, I would have moved as I don't want to get into anyone's way as I was not going very fast, and instead of saying "excuse me" or heaven forfend "excuse me PLEASE" they shouted "uhhh yeah do you wanna move your a**e sweetheart?" and the second one was even more succinct with his "f*****g move!" They got as good as they gave but there was no need for the rudeness, there really wasn't.
Have you ever encountered anything like this?

No not really, I rarely get passed in daily riding. When I do I was aware of the riders well before they passed.

It could be that the other parties were trying to get your attention long before and for some reason you did not hear them. I encounter this a lot, on paths especially. For example, someone or a small group is ahead and either listening to music or in their own little zone. I shout "on your left" well in advance and the party ahead does not move. I continue to announce my intention to pass, sometimes I even have to stop right behind them. When I finally do pass, the other party either acts completely startled, outright confused or insulted by my behavior.

I have never resorted to profanity or outright rudeness to get someone's attention, but I can relate.

It's as with everything. Some people are just, well, douchebags. You have to simply learn to ignore them, or give them a nice smile and wave as they yell and flip you off.

In my experience cyclists are friendlier than motorists. Perhaps you had really bad luck crossing these dolts. Many of us cycle for pleasure and such bad behavior sure puts a dampener on things.

[SIZE=11pt]My advice would be to forget them. Don’t let them darken your day[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]At the same time, do try to stay out of their way if you can, but if you can’t, a smile costs nothing and decent folk will smile back.[/SIZE]

Some people are just jerks. It doesn't matter if they're on a bike or in a car, if someone is gonna be a jerk, they'll figure out a way. I've encountered mean drives, mean cyclists and even mean pedestrians. That's just how some people are. It's best to just try and avoid them. Don't escalate anything because those people are often just looking for someone to set them off.

Honestly, recognizing that you're above petty drama can actually feel pretty good. Don't let those people ruin your ride. It's like they say: living well is the best revenge.

I have experienced similar situations. Once it was a green light and the cyclist cut in front of my car going in the opposite direction. Not only was it unsafe for the driver but i had to press on my brakes so hard, luckily the car behind me was a good distance behind and did not slam into me. I think we can only share the road with cyclist if they are willing to follow the rules as do the cars on the roads.

Everybody need to be good mannered. We use common sense even when on the streets. The fact that you are cycling,you do not have privileges over somebody walking and vice versa. We are all equal and we should use roads and paths equally. It doesn't cost to be good mannered.

I haven't experienced this myself, looks like you were just in the right place at the wrong time. Maybe they were having a bad day and took it out on you, not that I am saying its okay in any way because I'm not, there's no need to talk to anyone that way but hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I never let those kinds of things happen to me. I'm a little aggressive while cycling if I run into those kinds of people. It does happen to the average person, though, and you have to forget about it and move on. After they pass you or you pass them, then it's over and done with as far as you should be concerned. Some people suck.

We fill always find people filled up with bad qualities like rudeness and aggression on the roads every where in the world. We should never mess with these kinds of people unless it is very important.

We should not pay attention on these kinds of people and should concentrate on our work on the road.