Rugby World Cup Champions??

James Godley

Jan 29, 2003
So come on then!!
Who'll be crowned the Rugby World Cup champions??

Personnally I don't reckon The Wallabies are a match for the might and power of the English. Cohen, Robinson, and Lucy will eventually tear over the try line, Hill will gather a loose ball, feed it to Vickery who'll crash over the line, Jonny will score at least another 20 points off his boot. (8 off one boot and 12 off the other)

And The Wallabies will score just one easy try from an Interception.

WHAT SAY YOU!?

No go. The Wallabies will neutralise anything the English throw at them. Wilkinson will have a few half hearted drop goal attempts. 25 minutes into the second half the English fate will be sealed.

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR!

I also have to go with the Wallabies. Now that Scotland has been eliminated anyone that beats England gets my vote. Except for the semi-final that is, even though they were playing England I couldn't bring myself to cheer for France.

Originally posted by eric_the_red
I also have to go with the Wallabies. Now that Scotland has been eliminated anyone that beats England gets my vote. Except for the semi-final that is, even though they were playing England I couldn't bring myself to cheer for France.

I got to get me some of this action!

The Wallabies will hang on to the ball like they did against NZ negating Johnnies boot. They WILL score more than 1 try unless Martin Johnson deliberately slows the ball down near the try line and gets penalised like he usually does.

I predict the score will be 21 - 15 to Australia.

Sung to Sweet Chariots -

'Oh ,no
were gonna get flogged
Sunday , we'll be on the plane home!'

GO WALLABIES!!!!!!!!!!!

We have all seen over the course of this tournament how the english can get knocked off their rhytymn. The Samoans did it best when they simply flattened anything that moved in a white jersey. The english players could not play their robotic, premeditated game plan and they nearly lost. The aussies will roar into them, upset their game plan and run away with it. The english find new & exciting ways to lose at all kinds of sports that they invent.
whaddyawannabe? iwannabeawallaby!

out.

Originally posted by blip
We have all seen over the course of this tournament how the english can get knocked off their rhytymn. The Samoans did it best when they simply flattened anything that moved in a white jersey. The english players could not play their robotic, premeditated game plan and they nearly lost. The aussies will roar into them, upset their game plan and run away with it. The english find new & exciting ways to lose at all kinds of sports that they invent.

out.

Here's something a little left of field.

My prediction is that the 2011 Rugby World cup will feature USA in the quarter finals and give whoever they are playing a good shake.

They have shown in the past couple of cups that they are the team to watch in the future - constantly improving. Maybe they should dump their American coach and get a Kiwi or Aussie to teach them the finer points of scrummaging, back line play etc.

I know it is pretty big at college level but it needs to get some serious corporate dollars to become professional. Unfortunately the money is mostly tied up with NFL, NHL, NBA and NBL. Hard to get away from that!

I would be interested to know if there are any Americans who agree with me?

Originally posted by Vo2
No go. The Wallabies will neutralise anything the English throw at them. Wilkinson will have a few half hearted drop goal attempts. 25 minutes into the second half the English fate will be sealed.

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR!

Ditto!

Originally posted by Aussie cycler
Here's something a little left of field.

My prediction is that the 2011 Rugby World cup will feature USA in the quarter finals and give whoever they are playing a good shake.

They have shown in the past couple of cups that they are the team to watch in the future - constantly improving. Maybe they should dump their American coach and get a Kiwi or Aussie to teach them the finer points of scrummaging, back line play etc.

I know it is pretty big at college level but it needs to get some serious corporate dollars to become professional. Unfortunately the money is mostly tied up with NFL, NHL, NBA and NBL. Hard to get away from that!

I would be interested to know if there are any Americans who agree with me?

Aussie Boy, I think you are entirely spot on - I read an article that said that world rugby was simply hanging in there - almost holding its breath - until the Americans finally get the hang of rugby, at which point they will sweep the floor. Not a pretty idea -personnally I don't think the Americans have the finesse or the brains to be good at rugby - and of course they're all scared. How much padding do those american football players need!!!

Now then, I hope you Aussies are in bed, and not hanging around the England team's hotel with your bugels and drums!!!

Bring on the battle, lovely weather for it!

Originally posted by blip

out.

And of course Australia have sailed through the tournament with barely a blip!!

Originally posted by James Godley
Aussie Boy, I think you are entirely spot on - I read an article that said that world rugby was simply hanging in there - almost holding its breath - until the Americans finally get the hang of rugby, at which point they will sweep the floor. Not a pretty idea -personnally I don't think the Americans have the finesse or the brains to be good at rugby - and of course they're all scared. How much padding do those american football players need!!!

Now then, I hope you Aussies are in bed, and not hanging around the England team's hotel with your bugels and drums!!!

Not likely James, the 450 staff that the English brought over here to try and wrest the cup away perhaps included 100 of your 23rd Regiment's finest and they have taken over Brookvale and Manly. We can't get near them or even get a look because they have put up fences of black plastic to stop little prying eyes. They sweep all the players rooms daily with debugging equipment which is a bit of a joke. Surely the 'James Bond' equipment maybe better used in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Do you think they have a new game plan APART from giving it to Johnny!!!!!!!!!!!!! - I don't think so.

- In 1991 Australia lost their No.8 and best forward Tim Gavin to injury on the eve of the World Cup.
- In 2003 Australia lost their No.8 and best forward Toutai Kefu to injury on the eve of the World Cup.

- In 1991 Australia was coached by a former Randwick forward (Bob Dwyer) who never played for Australia.
- In 2003 Australia was coached by a former Randwick forward (Eddie Jones) who never played for Australia.

- In 1991 Australia won a crucial match against Ireland by one point.
- In 2003 Australia won a crucial match against Ireland by one point.

- In 1991 Australia upset the All Blacks in the semi-final.
- In 2003 Australia upset the All Blacks in the semi-final.

- In 1991 England won their semi-final without scoring a try.
- In 2003 England won their semi-final without scoring a try.

- In 1991 Australia was captained by a halfback (Nick Farr-Jones).
- In 2003 Australia was captained by a halfback (George Gregan).

- In 1991 The Australian starting XV had nine players playing from or originating from NSW.
- In 2003 The Australian starting XV had nine players playing from or originating from NSW.

- In 1991 Australia defeated England in the Final.
- In 2003... !

and for some 'ominous' external events:

- In 1991 a President Bush declared war on Iraq.
- In 2003 a President Bush declared war on Iraq.

- In 1991 Penrith won the Rugby League Grand Final.
- In 2003 Penrith won the Rugby League Grand Final.

Originally posted by Vo2
- In 1991 Australia lost their No.8 and best forward Tim Gavin to injury on the eve of the World Cup.
- In 2003 Australia lost their No.8 and best forward Toutai Kefu to injury on the eve of the World Cup.

- In 1991 Australia was coached by a former Randwick forward (Bob Dwyer) who never played for Australia.
- In 2003 Australia was coached by a former Randwick forward (Eddie Jones) who never played for Australia.

- In 1991 Australia won a crucial match against Ireland by one point.
- In 2003 Australia won a crucial match against Ireland by one point.

- In 1991 Australia upset the All Blacks in the semi-final.
- In 2003 Australia upset the All Blacks in the semi-final.

- In 1991 England won their semi-final without scoring a try.
- In 2003 England won their semi-final without scoring a try.

- In 1991 Australia was captained by a halfback (Nick Farr-Jones).
- In 2003 Australia was captained by a halfback (George Gregan).

- In 1991 The Australian starting XV had nine players playing from or originating from NSW.
- In 2003 The Australian starting XV had nine players playing from or originating from NSW.

- In 1991 Australia defeated England in the Final.
- In 2003... !

and for some 'ominous' external events:

- In 1991 a President Bush declared war on Iraq.
- In 2003 a President Bush declared war on Iraq.

- In 1991 Penrith won the Rugby League Grand Final.
- In 2003 Penrith won the Rugby League Grand Final.

Good one, I heard it on the radio yesterday.

I hope it comes true.

Yay!!

After an excruciating second half England finally give Wilkinson the window he needs to ****** victory in the final minute of extra time. Classic stuff.

Although England should have won it so much earlier, I can't really imagine a better way to finish off the final.

Yep, it was a good game. Could've gone any way. Well done to the Brits, they played well and are deserved champions.

Originally posted by pineapple
Yay!!

After an excruciating second half England finally give Wilkinson the window he needs to ****** victory in the final minute of extra time. Classic stuff.

Although England should have won it so much earlier, I can't really imagine a better way to finish off the final.

Wow - what a match.

England were the better team but Australia really kept in there. It was fitting that Johnny finished it off with a field goal.

Congratulations to England and see you for the reun in France 2007

Wow - what a match.

England were the better team but Australia really kept in there. It was fitting that Johnny finished it off with a field goal.

Congratulations to England and see you for the reun in France 2007

Well said, and remember Elton Flatley deserves a heck of a lot of credit for delivering the goods under immense pressure twice in a row.

Originally posted by pineapple
Well said, and remember Elton Flatley deserves a heck of a lot of credit for delivering the goods under immense pressure twice in a row.

I agree, he had a 80% success rate during the RWC. That is pretty good. It must be nerve racking thinking if you miss, you have lost. I do not know how kickers can concentrate when they are under that pressure.

It just shows what a freak John Eales was that he could kick as well as captain and play in the forwards.

I guess you had a few ales Saturday morning? Long day huh!

I agree, he had a 80% success rate during the RWC. That is pretty good. It must be nerve racking thinking if you miss, you have lost. I do not know how kickers can concentrate when they are under that pressure.

It just shows what a freak John Eales was that he could kick as well as captain and play in the forwards.

I guess you had a few ales Saturday morning? Long day huh!

Actually I just kinda rolled out of bed in the morning in front of the tv lol... Was planning to catch a train straight after the game to meet up with some mates, but missed it cos of extra time and had to go later :p