Run away as fast as you can ?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    Clin Chim Acta. 2004 Mar;341(1-2):165-72. Related Articles, Links

    Blood lactoferrin release induced by running exercise in normal volunteers: antibacterial activity.

    Inoue H, Sakai M, Kaida Y, Kaibara K.

    Radioisotopes Institute for Basic and Clinical Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, 67
    Asahi-machi, Kurume 830-0011, Japan.

    Background: The aim of this study was to determine serum lactoferrin concentrations and serum
    antibacterial activity before and after running exercise. Methods: Twenty-four healthy young men
    were randomly assigned to high, middle, or low intensity of exercise groups (5000 steps running at
    180, 130, and 80 steps/min, respectively). Blood samples were collected at baseline and immediately,
    1 and 4 h after exercise. Concentrations of circulating neutrophils, serum lactoferrin, iron in
    whole blood, and serum iron were measured. Antibacterial activity of serum was evaluated using live
    Micrococcus luteus. Results: The numbers of circulating neutrophils were increased by 20.0% and
    15.5% 1 h after exercise in high and middle groups (both P<0.01), respectively. Serum lactoferrin
    concentrations were significantly increased immediately after exercise by 48.3% and 33.0% in the
    high and middle groups (both P<0.01), respectively. No significant changes in total iron or serum
    iron concentrations were observed during the study. Antibacterial activities of serum collected
    immediately after exercise in the high and middle groups were significantly stronger than those
    before exercise, by 31.2% and 25.4% (both P<0.05), respectively. Conclusions: Serum lactoferrin
    concentrations are increased immediately after running exercise and may play an antibacterial role
    in host defenses before mobilization of neutrophils into the circulating pool.

    PMID: 14967173 [PubMed - in process]

    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. markd

    markd Guest

    And what exactly are we to make of this, how does it relate to any body of theory, to what practical
    use is it, and to what goal can it be useful? Without this information it is but another random
    abstract plucked from the web, one among thousands of such.

  3. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: Run away as fast as you can ?
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 2/19/2004 10:28 AM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >And what exactly are we to make of this, how does it relate to any body of theory, to what
    >practical use is it, and to what goal can it be useful? Without this information it is but another
    >random abstract plucked from the web, one among thousands of such.

    I leave it up to those who have the basic friggin idea about iron and the immune system as it
    relates to the .. immunity.. to understand.

    I leave it to YOU .. to .. read my lips ..

    I'll give you an out .. a new phrase you can use as a sig line is .. IPI .. and maybe I'll answer
    one of your .. stupid .. questions ..

    OK ..?

    IPI - I plead ignorance

    Who loves ya. Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  4. markd

    markd Guest

    Make your best case my friend Tom, we are waiting, otherwise:

    And what exactly are we to make of this, how does it relate to any body of theory, to what practical
    use is it, and to what goal can it be useful? Without this information it is but another random
    abstract plucked from the web, one among thousands of such.

  5. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Clin Chim Acta. 2004 Mar;341(1-2):165-72. Related Articles, Links
    >

    > Blood lactoferrin release induced by running exercise in normal
    volunteers:
    > antibacterial activity.

    > The numbers of circulating neutrophils were increased by 20.0% and 15.5% 1 h after exercise in
    > high and middle groups (both P<0.01), respectively.

    This sin't news. this is why children often have "unexplained" neutrophilias.

    > Serum lactoferrin concentrations were significantly increased immediately after exercise by 48.3%
    > and 33.0% in the high and middle
    groups
    > (both P<0.01), respectively. No significant changes in total iron or serum
    iron
    > concentrations were observed during the study.

    Another own goal ?

  6. [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once upon a time, our fellow doe rambled on
    about "Re: Run away as fast as you can ?." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition
    retorts, thusly ...

    >I leave it up to those who have the basic friggin idea about iron and the immune system as it
    >relates to the .. immunity.. to understand.

    No! That is not how it works!

    Stop polluting these ngs with your abstracts.

    Too gutless to comment? Then STOP posting, doe.

    On my newsletter, I review two new research studies a day. And, I comment on every one of them. :)
    --
    John Gohde,
    Achieving good Health is an Art, NOT a Science!

    Health-with-Attitude is a weekly newsletter for people
    trying to follow a Healthy Lifestyle.

  7. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: Run away as fast as you can ?
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 2/19/2004 11:45 AM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >Make your best case my friend Tom, we are waiting, otherwise:

    If you encounter someone .. with .. a disease .. a .. communicable .. disease .. it would be ..
    wise .. to jog quickly .. away .. due to the fact .. a slow jog .. DOES NOT RAISE THE IMMUNITY OF
    THE BODY ..

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  8. markd

    markd Guest

    Tom advises we move with haste away from someonewho is ill, which allows
    even less understanding about posting the original abstract in this ng,
    such that: